Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Sweet buck ya got & nice Binocs, I've got the same pair.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff,
Nice buck, congrats!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
your patience and persistence paid off. nice work

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Lots of character

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good job there rost,
Excellent buck and as a traditional archer (like you when I can find the time to stay in practice) I congratulate you on your self imposed limits even with a crossbow. I have had two rotator cuff surgeries and know how hard it can be to get back into shape for drawing a bow.

Thanks for the pics and story. Love the dog work too. Don't feel too bad about having to leash him, better to keep him safe and the other critters he might run also.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Congrats Jeff, on years of hard work and dedication to your property, and to the great looking rewards you've reaped!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
[...]OBVIOUSLY if anyone has input on this part of the OT thread...I'm ears. LOL.

Allow me to take you up on this one. I am handling hounds for the only purpose of what we call "Nachsuche", translating to "follow up" on dead to be found and wounded critters in hunting.

Have been doing this for 15 years now here in Germany. After this by means of a preface, I would suggest, you stick to the practice of the long leash.

It almost works like a seismograf. I can tell, what the dog is doing "by feel" of the leash sliding through my fingers.

The dog ahead is jerking his head and intensly sniffing a spot of dirt and then continues?

An ever so slight pressure on the leash tells him that I have seen this and am investigating.

Non verbal communication.

Also - when an animal breaks in the track, the leash afforts the handler custody on the decision making process, whether this is the wounded or an arbitrary critter in the way.

If the wounded, the dog gets unleashed and is on the chase to bay the animal for a finishing shot.

If any critter the dog gets layed down and calmed before resuming the search.

Just yesterday we followed a wild boar for a total track length of 6 km, that had been shot through the hind leg without breaking bone.

Animal was found after a lengthy search on the leash, jumped, chased and bayed, then dispatch just before dark.

A prime moment of dog work.

I wish you and Tiger many star moments on the trails. There is not much more out there to hunting - than with a dog.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
By the by - great deer.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
In the meantime, we finally ran into a live wounded deer some weeks back after much rain washed any sign away. I worked tiger on the leash(he now has a GPS since he yanked the leash from me a week ago on another wounded one and was lost for 1.5 hours... well I was shook up he just ran the deer until he couldn't anymore and was back at the truck later... LOL but I was a wreck) working basically a grid in the way the buck went trying to cover stuff downwind as we expanded....

You could tell when he was getting whiffs...and certainly when he got it figured out and the buck stood up in tall grass... I could not grab the buck...and then turned the leash loose.. he ran the buck into a tank. Made me very happy.

He seems to get better all the time but is indifferent about easy trails... but I put him on every last one I have or that I can beg and borrow. He should be right at 30 finds right now, 2 losses... one for sure survived the other is mentioned above...

Still adapting equipment and working on a suppressed short AR for finishing shots if needed.

Need a GOOD harness... and a nice leather lead with a quick way to release the lead....

He found a gut shot buck this weekend for us, and one I shot a bit back on purpose with Bergers.... both pretty easy after a bit of time...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 7mm_Loco, 13 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,662
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.