-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have never liked Liver since I was a kid, although lots of do. Over here the guys I hunt with rave about Roe liver being even better than calfs liver, with Fallow liver being very good also..
For the guys that haven't done so, as suggested above you might want to try liver from a young Whitetail perhaps?

Last edited by Pete E; 12/20/15.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Anyone who lives too far north to eat liver puddin' for breakfast is just too damn far north! grin

L.W.

Hanging my head in the trash can. gag

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
salt, pepper, flour....fry it slowly...onions fried with it...its very good

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
we were taught to soak it in milk for a few hours first then dredge in seasoned flour. let it rest in the fridge for 30 minutes or so once it's floured.
While thats going on brown some chopped bacon in a cast iron skillet-remove and drain on paper towel. carmelize sliced onions in the bacon drippings and remove. add more bacon grease or butter if needed and cook the liver over medium heat until it's done (5 minutes a side) add the onions and bacon back to the pan during the last 5 minutes.

prefer deer or elk liver over all others but in a pinch calf liver will do.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
other than pan frying it in bacon fat, and serving it with onions, I can't think of any way to eat it. Nasty stuff, for the most part.

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I enjoy liver in some dishes but not by itself. In general, I'll eat anything but the filters.

I'd say my favorite liver(ish) dish is dirty rice. I chop a bunch of liver, gizzards and hearts in a food processed and then cook with a bunch of green onion and parsley, S&P, garlic etc..

Put a scoop in a fry pan with some rice and a bit of oil and fry it all up.

Made it for the first time 2-3 years ago. I think I may of posted about it.

Love dirty rice!!!!! I actually make a pretty good one....it's supposed to be a side dish but I've been known to have a big ol plate of it and nothing else for dinner....

I also like those appetizers made with a piece of chicken liver and a slice of water chestnut wrapped in bacon.....rhemaki??? or something like that......

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In my youth, my mother would dredge beef liver in flour, fry with onions then dump in a jar of her canned tomatoes and simmer it for an hour. I grew to like it, probably because it was eat it or go hungry. My favorite now is fresh venison liver that has been soaked in milk, dredged in seasoned flour and gently fried in bacon grease or butter served with caramelized onions made just prior. Have made several "I hate liver" guys converts in deer camp. Maybe cuz it was eat it or go hungry? laugh

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last year at deer camp I made the "traditional" fresh deer liver with flour, S&P, , bacon , and onions but this time I added some medallions of tenderloin. The combination of liver and alternating bites of mild tenderloin was out of this world good.

It's now the new "tradition".

Last edited by fish head; 12/21/15.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by fish head
Last year at deer camp I made the "traditional" fresh deer liver with flour, S&P, , bacon , and onions but this time I added some medallions of tenderloin. The combination of liver and alternating bites of mild tenderloin was out of this world good.

OMG ! *HUGGGGGGGGSSSSSSSSSSSS* blush

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hi Miss Lynn.

I haven't been posting for awhile but I do peek in and lurk occasionally.

I've had a lot of things to deal with in the past year that required my attention and ...

It's been a nice break from the "internet addiction". grin

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
I cut the deer/elk liver into thin slices,flour and cook in hot oil along with onions. And cut up potatoes and fry them in another pan.

Chicken livers,just flour and cook in hot oil.

Oh, I love chicken livers with bacon & onion gravy, served over jasmine rice !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fish head

We do the exact same liver recipe but one of the guys makes Ceviche out of a loin.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I enjoy liver in some dishes but not by itself. In general, I'll eat anything but the filters.

I'd say my favorite liver(ish) dish is dirty rice. I chop a bunch of liver, gizzards and hearts in a food processed and then cook with a bunch of green onion and parsley, S&P, garlic etc..

Love dirty rice!!!!! I actually make a pretty good one....it's supposed to be a side dish but I've been known to have a big ol plate of it and nothing else for dinner....

I also like those appetizers made with a piece of chicken liver and a slice of water chestnut wrapped in bacon.....rhemaki??? or something like that......

FG - truth be known, I was a bit incapacitated when I made my first batch of dirty rice. I'll be damned if I can make it as good again. laugh

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

FG - truth be known, I was a bit incapacitated when I made my first batch of dirty rice. I'll be damned if I can make it as good again. laugh

laugh laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW ...

The recipe/method that I've refined over the years ...

First, fry the bacon, drain, and when it cools cut it up into chucks and set aside.

Spoon off the excess greese, add some butter (SSE - DO NOT USE MARGARINE mad ), and fry the onions until they're translucent and almost done (caramelized). Set aside.

Add the greese, fry the liver and tenderloin medallions (dredged in milk, flour, S&P) until almost done. Add the bacon bits and onions, mix it up, and cook it until everything is done to your liking. I likey med to med well. No blood ... but pink to faint red in the middle and the onions caramelized with a few crunchy slivers.

This technique is based upon Chinese stir fry ... for the most part. The main advantage is cooking the meats and onion separately so that they get brown-ned-ed and not overcooked.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
salt, pepper, flour....fry it slowly...onions fried with it...its very good

That's all it takes. Mashed potatoes and gravy make it even better. Deer is my favorite, elk is edible but pretty strong. Soaking in milk helps. Goat and sheep are good too, haven't had calf liver or pig liver.

Fish Head I may try that recipe.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 3,084 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,774
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.