Thanks JMR40

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Opinions are all over the place, but I much prefer a rig weighing around 8lbs all up minus ammo. Especially if the the long ball might be an option. Just how I roll.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm actually shocked that the weights are so close. The EW comes in way lower than I expected.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
My buddy has a .308 MT..... he had a "mad minute" this year involving filling both deer tags in very short order, and commented on this stuff. I think he said it came up FAST but was hard to settle. He's hunted scores of rifles...

Two elk lived to hump another day this year because they only offered me shots for a split second on the far side of 250. It didn't matter in the end because the third one gave me an easy 40 yard offhand. I'm pretty sure the first two would have been dead if I had a different rifle.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by STS45
Originally Posted by Brad
Sako, that's my 308 SS FW... I sold it to Scot, he sold it to you.

That's a great rifle!

Why the hell did I sell that rifle!? Hahahah oh well at least I have Brad's 7mm-08. I hate this board. smirk

Heading to the range this morning to shoot the .308. Last time I shot this rifle it put 3 shots in the same hole and the last two through the same hole only 1/4" apart from the first three. 46.5gr Varget, and the cool thing is both the 150 accubonds and 150 partitions shoot the same POI. Yea..I'll never sell this rifle.

Last edited by Sakohunter264; 12/23/15.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

One 155 Scenar from the first ridge in the background... Shoulda' kept that one!

Tanner

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've always thought the lighter rifle should not shoot as well in the field, but my informal comparisons have not supported that. I've shot groups at 100yds offhand with the 84M and with a much heavier rifle. Really no meaningful difference. I do think long range where you can use a bipod or rest is better (easier) with the heavier rifle. I'll have to play with this more and come up with a more definitive answer.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I tend to agree with Brad on the rifle weight and shooting comments. Recently acquiring both a LA and SA Kimber MT, I'm surprised how well I shoot them offhand.

A question on the McM Edge on the EW - what pattern is it? I had my 300 WSM EW out last night and am seriously considering an Edge for it. I don't dislike the B&C EW stock but really like the McM series. I suspect I won't save much weight as my EW B&C SA weighs ~ 28 oz. All of the Edge stocks I've gotten have weighed 23-24 oz with 1" Decelerator affixed. I also don't like the Edge Compact - it is too short for my likes.

Another good thread.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Has anyone here ever tried a series of cold bore, first shots,with their light vs heavy rifles, from various field positions,and watched where they go as opposed to shooting "groups" in a series of three or whatever?

And done it over a few sessions to watch what happens?

I know groups are wonderful things but can't recall the last time an animal hung around long enough for me to shoot a group on them.

It seems to me that's the only measure of "shooting well", from a hunting perspective,that really counts(?)

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by STS45
I'm actually shocked that the weights are so close. The EW comes in way lower than I expected.

Agreed.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

I have a lighter .308, and it is absolutely true that you really have to focus on solid fundamentals. It is very easy for the groups to really open up. Shooting light rifles is definitely a skill set.

I'm going to make my Kimber a .243 just so I can shoot it more in one session. After about 20 rounds with the 155's my shooting starts to suffer.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is EW weight as shown above in the B&C, closer to 7-12?

Dave

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Has anyone here ever tried a series of cold bore, first shots,with their light vs heavy rifles, from various field positions,and watched where they go as opposed to shooting "groups" in a series of three or whatever?

Yes. We use milk jugs.

To the 400 there is no difference. For me.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Those little Kimbers are like wands. I mean, they knock me out every time I handle one in the shop, but WOW are they light. I'd have to run one a while to know if it was perhaps even too light for me. My short action M700 MR in an ultralight 'glass stock sometimes feels a little unsubstantial when shooting, and the Kimber is lighter still. I absolutely agree, a really light rifle will amplify and inconsistencies in your technique. A really light trigger helps a lot.

My 8400 series (WSM) "perch belly" Montana is a more substantial-feeling rifle. And, going from .325 to 7mm in bore size made a noticeable improvement in how it "hangs" from offhand. Heavier up front.

I'm gonna ask Rick to put this guy on a syllable restriction.

JFC.

Travis

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

And done it over a few sessions to watch what happens?

I know groups are wonderful things but can't recall the last time an animal hung around long enough for me to shoot a group on them.

It seems to me that's the only measure of "shooting well", from a hunting perspective,that really counts(?)

This is what I do. The two rifles are much different (although both .308) one being a Rem Mtn. rifle, bedded in an Edge, Rifle Basix trigger and a Leupold 2.5-8 CDS in Talley LW's. Never had it on a scale but it's light.

The other a Rem VSF, bedded in a H.S. stock, Rifle Basix trigger, Leupold 4.5-14 CDS also in Talley's. My loads will shoot equally well in either but the most accurate tend to be Scenar 155's.

I've shot both to 800yds (really hard to find a place to shoot distance here-that is "long range" for my area), off a bipod with rear bag. I've confirmed the range card for each rifle with each load I'll shoot and give them cold bore first shot runs and then groups of three. The only noticeable factor is both will print to slightly different point of aim if shot cold/clean bore.

It is easier to do "tight group" work with the VSF but keeping it on steel (vital area) is not difficult with the Mtn. And the lower magnification is not a problem to 800yds.

Golden............
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by deflave

Yes. We use milk jugs.

To the 400 there is no difference. For me.

Travis

Travis/David kinda figured that would be the case for the guys who shoot a lot.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Montana is pretty much a turn-key deal, not so much with the M70. But 1# of rifle is hardly enough to worry over...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 16bore
But 1# of rifle is hardly enough to worry over...

It is if a weekends worth of living is loaded on your back.

Travis

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by 16bore
But 1# of rifle is hardly enough to worry over...

It is if a weekends worth of living is loaded on your back.

Travis

Yeah man...... Six cases of Bud Light can weigh you down... thank god for 6lb rifles.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
6?

I'd be a millionaire if that were the case.

Dave

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1234, 58 invisible), 3,351 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,297
Posts18,468,035
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.