-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Labor Day weekend was the opening of blue grouse in Arizona. Rica and I went tot the north Kaibab. Saturday was real windy and 3 historically productive spots produced nothing except one moment of birdiness. After a few days in Grand canyon national Park, a return to another favorite spot produced nothing but a nice walk. Fortunately, the shooting of landscapes was much better.

Back in the Saddle
Sunset at the head of the Nankoweap Trail
[Linked Image]

Royal Storm
A thunder and hailstorm approaches Cape Royal.
[Linked Image]

Wotan's Fury
At this point, I decided it was best to leave the exposed point and hustle back to the truck.
[Linked Image]

Royal Rise
Sunrise on Labor Day provided nice skies and purple/magenta tones.
[Linked Image]

The elk are beginning to bugle and a photo trip for fall aspen colors in southwest Colorado is only two weeks away.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes! I too would be inclined to release my grip on a 5 ft tall metal tripod and get back into the confines of a rig.

1Minute
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Great images. You can't fault a guy for self preservation!

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
1' and CLTPA, one afternoon it was noted that the hair on everyone was standing up from static charge, lasting for several minutes, even though there were no thunderstorms around to be heard. No lightning happened though until the next thundercloud rolled over in a few hours. I recall that several were struck on a point earlier in the summer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RedRabbit:

I was once fishing with some buds as a desert storm rolled over a fault block mountain about 5000 ft above/behind us. The trout were going bonkers coming after anything landing within 20 ft of them. As I was casting, I began to hear a pop or click every time my rod passed over my shoulder. Fearing I had perhaps broken something, I began studying the issue and noticed a spark jumping from the metal reel seat to my wrist with each pass.

Fearing the worst I got to the bank, hunkered down as low as possible, and warned my buddies, but the action was so fast they couldn't bear to leave. The upside was nothing happened, but I'm not one to test Mother Nature either when it comes to electricity. Have a good one,

Last edited by 1minute; 09/14/15.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Another time a friend and I were photographing at the edge of Marble Canyon. All day long the agave stalks were buzzing like they had beetles or insects in them. When our tripods began buzzing, we said this ain't good and went inside the truck. The closest lightning strike was maybe a mile away afterwards.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Years ago a buddy and I were in White Sands when a thunderstorm rolled in. A Ranger came up the hill and gave me some statistical information about how many photographers get struck on the dunes during storms. We packed up.

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I realize this is an older thread but I just wanted to say how much these photos make me appreciate the beauty of Arizona and Colorado.

(And, of course, you could throw a lot of other states into the comment!)

Retired cat herder.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,454 guests, and 790 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,574
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.