Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Hello to everyone,

I am at a point where I am trying to decide my best move, here is my current situation.

I am bombing around in my 2008 Silverado with 95000 miles on it. Its an extended cab with a topper. This is the only vehicle I own and it has been good so far.

I want to get rid of the truck before it is worth nothing, so I think it might be time to upgrade to a brand new 2015 F150.

I am a hunter and an average middle class worker, I live in eastern South Dakota so I pull decoy trailers for waterfowling, boats in the summer for fishing, and a whole lot of [bleep] when I go to Montana, Wyoming, and western South Dakota.

My question to you guys with new vehicles, do you find yourself saying oops a lot when you are out hunting as far as paint scrapes, scratches, dents, all kinds of crap like that or do they weather things pretty well?

I am going to go white, silver, or gray if I pull the trigger on a new truck, so I'm not doing anything crazy dark.

Any advice would be helpful as this would be my vehicle for as many as 10 years to come.

GB1

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Just don't sweat the small stuff.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tend to baby a new truck for the first year or so, but after that, it's full speed ahead, damn the torpedoes and go where you need to go. I have replaced two skid plates on my 2012 Tundra and need to replace the current one, now.

One guy with whom I hunt quail lives over around Tucson. He takes his new trucks out into the desert within the first week or two. He drives them through the mesquite and catclaw for an hour or so to knock the new off and then doesn't worry about it anymore.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeremybj
Hello to everyone,

I am at a point where I am trying to decide my best move, here is my current situation.

I am bombing around in my 2008 Silverado with 95000 miles on it. Its an extended cab with a topper. This is the only vehicle I own and it has been good so far.

I want to get rid of the truck before it is worth nothing, so I think it might be time to upgrade to a brand new 2015 F150.

I am a hunter and an average middle class worker, I live in eastern South Dakota so I pull decoy trailers for waterfowling, boats in the summer for fishing, and a whole lot of [bleep] when I go to Montana, Wyoming, and western South Dakota.

My question to you guys with new vehicles, do you find yourself saying oops a lot when you are out hunting as far as paint scrapes, scratches, dents, all kinds of crap like that or do they weather things pretty well?

I am going to go white, silver, or gray if I pull the trigger on a new truck, so I'm not doing anything crazy dark.

Any advice would be helpful as this would be my vehicle for as many as 10 years to come.

Its really down to you?

If you put a long scratch down the side of a 6 month old truck would you be gutted?

Would you avoid certain areas save beating up your truck because of how much its worth? Or because that you can't afford to damage it as you need it as a daily drive?

If you answer those "yes" maybe a new hunting truck is not such a good idea for you...

Whats the possibility of keeping your present truck for hunting and getting another, newer vehicle as a daily drive???

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are some great deals on the new 2015 F-150's right now, and 0% financing with Ford Credit. I usually buy one every 2 years or so, as I put a lot of hard miles on them Ranching. Like someone else mentioned, life's too short to sweat the small stuff. Buy it, enjoy it, drive the piss out of it!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to keep an older truck or suv around for hunting. These days I prefer to drive a new one. Nice not to have to fill every fluid level and wonder whats going to break. I guess it depends on how rough of country your driving through to hunt.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Keep the 08 Chevy. Put the payments into an out of state hunt or put more $ in the 401K. You have another 100,000 miles on that Chevy before problems.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I agree with keeping the Chevy. It has lots of life left.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First and only new truck I bought and currently drive found a tree branch in the first 15 miles But an 08 with less then a hundred k on the clock keep rocket the Chevy,

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

If you don't cripple yourself financially, it doesn't hurt to get rid of your truck when it is still worth something. Driving it into the ground can have its advantages, but when you do buy the new truck you have to pay for it all, no trade in.

I would also look at the new Ram 1/2 ton diesel. You will get good mileage and more torque than a gasser...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The first scratch hurts the most, just like when current truck was new. It's gonna happen, just the nature of the beast.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The 1st brand new truck I ever bought, I purchased the evening before deer season opened. By Sunday it looked like the Manson family had been living in it for months. Scuffs on the truck are like scars on your hands, nothing to fret. Detailers can keep the inside looking mighty nice if you let them at it 1x-2x/yr. Marathon seat covers and good pre-fit floor mats (Weather-Tech/Husky) are also options for keeping the inside tolerable for a good long while.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'm picking up my new truck when I get back from my current work trip on the 30th. It's going to get used extensively for hunting, I'm getting rid of the 2006 jeep liberty diesel that's been my hunting vehicle the last few years. New truck is a '16 silver Tundra 4x4 double cab. I don't know if it's really a sound financial decision, but the jeep is starting to cause problems and it's got 93K miles on it. It's going to need a timing belt at 100K to the tune of $1500 that I don't want to spring for (I'm never buying another vehicle with a timing belt, dumbest invention ever!), plus it's got several other problems related to piss poor jeep quality that I don't want to deal with. I figure I can still sell it for something before it hits 100K miles, after that it's value goes down considerably. The writing's on the wall that it's eventually going to become a shop queen and I just don't want to deal with constantly working on vehicles at this point in my life. When I want to go hunting I want to jump in the truck and go, not having to worry about it making it there.

I sold some timber a month ago and got a better return than I was expecting so that factored in my decision to buy the new truck instead of keep nursing the jeep. I know the first scratches and dents on it are going to break my heart but that's life. Bed rug and husky floor mats are already ordered. Line-x and brush guard for the front are soon to come. Only you can decide if it's worth it to buy a new vehicle. If you can afford it without burden then I'd say go for it. I reached a point where I got tired of dealing with the jeep's problems so it's time for it to go.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a buy it new and drive it for 250,000 miles or more kind of guy. The last one didn't have one single body panel that wasn't dented or replaced at 330,000. Some of them matched...

They all break, new or old. I keep mine in tip-top shape, mechanically, and run the crap out of them. 100,000 miles is just barely broke in.

Whenever I get a new one, I cringe a little on the first ding or scratch, but then it's just another work truck, and they are there to be put to work.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Have three older Toyotas for hunting rigs.. the oldest is an 84.. I seldom drive these more than 100 miles from home..Also have a 2012 Tundra with 132,000 miles on it... It has become my truck for hunting in the intermountain west and towing my travel trailer around the west on fishing and hunting trips..

I usually traded my Tundra every couple years, but decided to keep this one because soon or later my old trucks will bite the dust.. Sometime in the next couple months we will get a new Tundra.. It will be our long distance travel truck. Maybe I will sell the 2012 down the road, or keep it as I plan for hunting and fishing in the mountains. First time I tried this plan.. I usually have had two trucks, one for travel and one for hunting...

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
You're right at the tipping point. Drive it much longer and you'll probably need to just keep it till the wheels fall off. Right now you probably have had it long enough to feel like you got your moneys worth and it will still bring a good amount at trade. To me it would come down to how much you like the current truck. I have no problem using a new truck for hunting. I buy them to use.

In 2002 I bought a new 4X4 F-150 Super-Crew. I liked the truck, but didn't love it. Made the mistake of buying one with the smaller 4.6 V8 and it was under powered. I lived with it till I got to about the same point. It had been paid off for a while, but still worth enough for me to justify trading.

I still love the 07 Tacoma as much as I did 160,000 miles ago. I'm at the point where it is worth more for me to keep than it is worth on trade. I plan to run it to at least 200,000 miles and then buy something. I'll probably keep it as a 3rd vehicle rather than trade. Just have to wait and see.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You will be sorry......

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Jeremybj

I'd figure the truck has shown you what it's going to be like by now. If it's been trouble-free so far, it's likely to be that way going forward if you continue to take decent care of it.

If you get another 3 to 4 years out of it, you can bank an awful lot of $ that would be going into payments. It's probably going to lose less money over that time than it already has. Even with a few big repairs (tranny, wheel bearings, brakes), you'd still be money ahead by keeping it.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I just never could do it. I bought a new Silverado in 09. First new truck i have ever owned. I take care of all my stuff and couldn't bring myself to take my truck into some of the places I hunt. I have a jeep wrangler and it doesn't bother me at all to take it where ever I need to go. I work hard for my money and my health insurance is very expensive so the value of a dollar or my labor equivalent to a dollar keeps me from driving my truck into those skinny tree lined rutted out rocky muddy two tracks. Why drive a truck that is like new into that mess when you could just buy a beater and go where you want without kringing.

That's me, you may differ.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had more new vehicles than most. I always hated to ding them up hunting, but hunting is more important than a truck, if that makes sense. So if it got banged up, that is what needed to happen. But with a beater truck, trips seemed less stressful and enjoyable. So I prefer an older reliable truck with good tires now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,252
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.