Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
For those of you who actually use a camp knife, what make and model do you use? What chores do you most often tackle with your camp knife?

Thanks, RS

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interested to see what guys say on this as well!

Reno

The time is drawing nearer for the American People to stand up for what they believe in. To stop having their rights trampled by the a$$holes in Washington D.C.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I made a few of this style of Camp Knife. Several member here have one. Report is that they work well for chopping, batoning, tree trimming, breaking down moose, etc. Hopefully some will chime in.
That being said, there is a wide spread of opinions about what makes a good camp knife. I am anxious to hear what the opinions are.

[Linked Image]

Tim

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 12/24/15.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
I made a few of this style of Camp Knife. Several member here have one. Report is that they work well for chopping, batoning, tree trimming, breaking down moose, etc. Hopefully some will chime in.
That being said, there is a wide spread of opinions about what makes a good camp knife. I am anxious to hear what the opinions are.

[Linked Image]

Tim

I could use something like that.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter

[Linked Image]

Tim

I could use something like that.

I have one of Tim's camp knives, very similar to the bottom one but w/olive micarta scales.
It has seen a fair bit of use in camp, and clearing shooting lanes a couple times. It has been used to breakdown a moose and will hopefully be put to use in a couple weeks on an elk.
It is a large, heavy knife, solid comes to mind.
It most often is called on for camp chores such as splitting kindling and trimming branches around the campsite that would be an eye hazard in the dark, in fact when not in use it is in the box I keep my axe, hatchets and saws in. I find it to be a useful tool.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I do a lot of camping. I have found the big chopper from Tim to be an essential part of my gear.
I have used this knife to make camp furniture, split wet wood for the fire, hack vines and limbs, and prep food.
It has a sheath, but it's not really a belt knife. smile
[Linked Image]

Sam......

F
Frm Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I have two camp knives from Tim Olt . . . One has green micarta scales and the other has sheep's horn. Both are hefty and very well balanced. They're great for chopping just about anything! Pair it up with A Jason Gies (gies340) lanyard and you have one of the best camp tools around. Merry Christmas.

Last edited by Frm; 12/26/15.

"We've had enough of exhortations to be silent! Cry out with a hundred thousand tongues! I see that the world is rotten because of silence!"
St. Catherine of Sienna
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

grin

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Becker BK4 is my camp knife. It's a weird design but it works when you get used to it. That and a pocket knife is all I need most of the time.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

Tim

Love these knives. I really like the bottom one.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My version of a camp knife. The handles are homemade composite, made out of burlap. Blade is right at 9 inches. Steel is Aldos .250 1095.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't own a camp knife. As far as use goes, I helped a hunting partner clear a gawd awful tent site. He used his BIG knife to dig out the grass clumps while I worked with a sharp stick, he was far more productive. His custom built knife still had a decent edge when he was done.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Nice knife j2dogs.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Siegle with a Laconico piggybacking

[Linked Image]

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mink

[Linked Image]

That bottom knife is interesting. Got any details on it? (who makes, size, etc.)

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I own and have owned some expensive 10" to 12" knives. In all honesty I find a good machete more useful in the climate where I live and if I lived in a colder area,I imagine a good hatchet would be even better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by humdinger

[Linked Image]

That bottom knife is interesting. Got any details on it? (who makes, size, etc.)

Don't have the measurements on it right now, but it is made by Ray Laconico. Thin FFG 1095 in a leaf pattern. One hell of a wicked slicer. He no longer makes fixed blades and does custom folders instead. Matter of fact the last two of his I sold on BF, he bought back himself. You come across one of his fixed at a reasonable price $200 ballpark, do yourself a favor and snap it up.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I own and have owned some expensive 10" to 12" knives. In all honesty I find a good machete more useful in the climate where I live and if I lived in a colder area,I imagine a good hatchet would be even better.

No argument there....in my area my Svord Kiwi does just about everything I need. Does not get the juices flowing like a nice custom though.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

No argument there....in my area my Svord Kiwi does just about everything I need. Does not get the juices flowing like a nice custom though.

I just took a look at that one. I've never used a Svord. I do like the Condor Echo lite. Where did you buy yours,and is the steel any harder than conventional well made machetes like the ones from Condor or Imacassa?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The steel is hardened L6 so I would think a definite step-up from 1075 or the like. Mine has a hamon to it. First I have seen on a production machete. Picked it up from Baronyx Knife store.....he is on BF. For the price it is hard to beat IMO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,593 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,887
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.