Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mountain Hardwear Pieros

BP-B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I am not heavy duty backpack hunter like the rest of you all - more of an overnight hunter and do a lot of small game.

I'm in the NE where there is not as much brush and prickly stuff.

What I do use on winter camps and when on showshoes and skis now though are snowboarders/skiing waterproof/breathebke pants. The most useful pair that I have found that are styled like cargo pants and not ridiculously bell-bottomed for ski boots are 686's Infinity Cargo pants. They can be had in various shades of brown, as an extra bonus.

They are friggin awesome smile

Last edited by alukban; 01/08/16.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
I'm looking for pants to wear elk/mule deer rifle hunting out West. I normally wear BDU 60/40 poly/cotton blend. That's great for hunting whitetails here, but I don't think that would work out West. What type/brand pants do y'all wear for backcountry hunting? Thanks for any info.

I've worn 60/40 BDUs for every elk hunt ever done in AZ. And most scouting. Not the best, but I already have them.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I use westcomb reccon cargo pant. Love it.
My dad has the rab vapour rise and it is a great pant as well.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Prana stretch Zion

Cabelas microtex if it is a little colder

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've been happy with Kings desert shadow pants. More traditional cut poly fleece. They come in two weights the light is good for most use from pronghorn to early elk season.

These plus: gaiters, rain/wind pants, and a pair of long johns will cover most of my hunting. But I don't hunt the late seasons.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
BDUs would work - my son where's his on most of our hunts. Otherwise, I like First Lite and Cabela's Microtex pants. If it's really cold, I'll wear Army surplus wool pants.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I just spent the last 8 days hunting in Idaho in temps ranging from 8* to 35* w/ several inches of fresh snow. I used REI Schoeller pants and Mammut Softech pants. Both performed very well, Quiet, great freedom of movement and plenty of zippered pockets. Both were impervious to wet snow and never felt damp or clammy. The REI pants had a longer zipper giving better access to Richard through 3 layers so were 1st choice.

Next winter trip I will upgrade to expedition weight long johns from the LW ones I used on this trip for those calling stands. Outdoor Research Croc gaiters continue to be the premier invention of the 20th century.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
I'm looking for pants to wear elk/mule deer rifle hunting out West. I normally wear BDU 60/40 poly/cotton blend. That's great for hunting whitetails here, but I don't think that would work out West. What type/brand pants do y'all wear for backcountry hunting? Thanks for any info.

For most of my backcountry hunting in the past 50 years the pants that I've worn were either Levis or Wranglers. Didn't really matter if I was hunting mule deer, whitetail deer, elk, black bears, moose, bighorn rams, Dall rams, mountain caribou, Alaska caribou, buffalo, or pronghorn antelope.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
First Lite Kanabs light weight wool pants for cool temps down to about 20 degrees. Colder temps I wear Big Bills 8-Pointers. They are heavier pants but I've used them two years in CO chasing elk and performed well. Warmer and/or wet weather, my favorites are Tech H2O pants from Gander Mountain. Not a place where I normally buy hunting gear but, they have performed better than I expected and they are truly waterproof and comfortable down to about 30 degrees or so.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
695 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 1badf350, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.