D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by JDK
Nice to see a thread that doesn't involve Kimber or hubble scopes. Good stuff here.

You don't need that stuff in Maine. It will never help a guy up there. smile

Yep, in fact they're a liability a lot of the time when you're hunting places so thick that you couldn't fall down if you wanted to. Biggest reason guys at our camp didn't get shots....."Couldn't find'em in the scope". This thread makes me miss my 280 I just sold, but I had to reduce, more use for the other 3 7600s I'm keeping though. Up to Maine for bear in about 2 months and then back up for deer in Nov.

Likely not very good hunters/shooters. Just because I guy has been doing something for 40 years, don't mean he's worth a shiet.

The 'Couldn't find them in the scope' tells me they are pretty much idiots.

It's happened to me twice in thick woods and fading light and many times according to the outfitter with scopes. Open sights often work better for us idiots.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Steelhead, how much experience do you have hunting deer in the heavy brush of Maine?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JDK
Nice to see a thread that doesn't involve Kimber or hubble scopes. Good stuff here.

Yep, in fact they're a liability a lot of the time when you're hunting places so thick that you couldn't fall down if you wanted to. Biggest reason guys at our camp didn't get shots....."Couldn't find'em in the scope". This thread makes me miss my 280 I just sold, but I had to reduce, more use for the other 3 7600s I'm keeping though. Up to Maine for bear in about 2 months and then back up for deer in Nov.

Likely not very good hunters/shooters. Just because I guy has been doing something for 40 years, don't mean he's worth a shiet.

It's happened to me twice in thick woods and fading light and many times according to the outfitter with scopes. Open sights often work better for us idiots.

Can't find them in the scope isn't a function of how thick the cover is. In fact if one has problems in the thick they probably would also if the Deer was standing in a football field. Too many xxxx's is another issue, but having a scope cranked up in the thick is a fools game.

Shooting prone at 500 with a friends rifle the other day-set on 18 if I remember right-caused me a little problem in that I'm not used to that many xxxx's with an unfamiliar sweet spot, but it quickly started to come around. The sweet spot and FOV on a low power woods scope is huge and the Deer should be there when you shoulder the rifle. Providing one messes around with the rifle more than infrequently and knows how to point with the leading hand. Seen more than a few on the range who don't.

Fading light is another issue, but open sights in fading light is a young mans game. At my age I'd take the scope. 3-4x preferable.

I don't doubt the outfitter is right. wink

Assisted on a Maine Moose hunt and have hunted Grouse there. It didn't scare me for thick compared to some places I hunt in Pa.

Last edited by battue; 07/19/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by JDK

NO one shouldn't be 'finding' deer through a scope. If you know how to mount a rifle the deer is there when you bring the rifle up.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Steelhead, how much experience do you have hunting deer in the heavy brush of Maine?

Zero, but I'm going out on a limb here and saying it's NO thicker than second growth in SE Alaska.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Maine stories are often very compelling and I love that a guy that can kill one deer ever 10 years is a God.

Just like a guy that gets laid once every 10 years is a Playboy.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm not even that good of a hunter. If I can find one at 15 steps in a MN cedar swamp, I figure a guy should be able to find one in Maine.

When your 14x scoped 30-30 can't do it, your open sits sure as hell ain't going to be able to.

Camp is where you make it.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
saw a remington model 14 the other day.

Looked like it would kill deer and stuff.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JDK

Having a clue would work better.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've hunted a good bit in VT and NH. I have used irons but a low power works better.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
my grice special 7600 carbine in 35 has a $30 bushy sportview 4x32 on tally lows and that little sucker is perfect on that gun. comes up perfectly centered and on target. i had a trigger job done on it and it is a tack driver with 200 CL's. low light, short shots, bright light, long shots, no problem.

My diploma is a DD214
M
MagMarc Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
My next one will be a 35.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just bought a used Rem 742 made in 1967. Appears to have been very well taken care of.

Took it out last week and put it through it's paces.

Iron sites... shoots very well.

Not sure what I'm going to do with it though.

Last edited by Owl; 07/20/16.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I was in a shop last week that had a good line up of 760/7600s. What caught my eye were 760s in 35 Remington, 300 Savage and a 7600 in 257 Roberts. Each was listed at $750.

I have not seen that many pump rifles i n one place in a long time.

Last edited by JDK; 07/20/16.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JDK
............ a 7600 in 257 Roberts. Each was listed at $750.

Ohhhh! That's a neat one!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
MagMarc Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
When I get another it will be a 35.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Count me as a fan. I've still got one in .257 Roberts and had one in 30'06.
My only complaint is they are awkward to use from sitting with a sling.
Accurate and very reliable. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MagMarc

Rem or Whelen. I can keep eyes out for either.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
M
MagMarc Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by MagMarc

Rem or Whelen. I can keep eyes out for either.

35 Rem. I like the 70s version with the high gloss stock wink

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Here's one for you.....built by Smith's Custom Guns in Warren, PA for an apparently "savvy" Amish man wink.

[Linked Image]

.240 Weatherby w/ a Schmidt/Bender scope, fluted barrel and graphite pattern synthetic stock. Just test fired the other day and was groping between 0.5 and 0.75" for 3 shots at 100yds. Should be a deer killing machine!

PennDog

Page 30 of 149 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 148 149

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 17 invisible), 1,297 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,223
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.