Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 41 of 149 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 148 149
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well here ya go........ I've had a 742 in .308 since '67 and, over the course of at least a thousand rounds of factory and handloads, it has never jammed. Only issue I've had is when I didn't take off the forend and clean and dry the spring and action tube after a very wet 10 day Ontario moose hunt in '73. A couple months later I took it out and when I pulled the bolt back, it stayed back. After that I always ran a clip through it at the end of a wet hunt to dry it out.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tmitch
Well here ya go........ I've had a 742 in .308 since '67 and, over the course of at least a thousand rounds of factory and handloads, it has never jammed. Only issue I've had is when I didn't take off the forend and clean and dry the spring and action tube after a very wet 10 day Ontario moose hunt in '73. A couple months later I took it out and when I pulled the bolt back, it stayed back. After that I always ran a clip through it at the end of a wet hunt to dry it out.
Well there's exceptions to every rule. I'd never own one, but that's just me. But then again I only handled over 100 of them over the years, so what do I know?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by moosemike

Do they jam when they're clean or is it just a dirty/ rusty thing?

Mike,
It's mainly a dirt thing. The chamber needs to be clean and dry and that's generally a problem here at some point in the season.

It is recommended to lube the rails and that's also where problems arise in colder climates.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. smile

Thank you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4ager
When, exactly, did you come to think that I don't like you? The response given re: jam-O-matic is the only one that really counts. If you think you can figure out how to make the worst semi-auto that Remington (and perhaps any sporting arms manufacturer) made run perfectly, feel free to have at it. It earned a reputation for a reason.

You have to realize where I'm coming from. In PA we aren't exposed to these rifles because you can't hunt with them. I've never fired one or been around anybody who was shooting one.

M
MagMarc Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Mike,
Dad had a 742 in 280, a mid 70s rifle picked up used in the early 80s. When fed Remington's 165CL it was very reliable when the clean. When he tried the hotter 140 factory loads and started reloading with stuff like 4831 it's a jamomatic. He went to faster powders it works fine.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Mike,
Dad had a 742 in 280, a mid 70s rifle picked up used in the early 80s. When fed Remington's 165CL it was very reliable when the clean. When he tried the hotter 140 factory loads and started reloading with stuff like 4831 it's a jamomatic. He went to faster powders it works fine.

I see. I imagine they would be tough to reload for.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I responded earlier, but... I had a 760 for a number of years. Yes it killed deer, but mine didn't group for me at all, I hated the fat fore end, it rattled, kicked , and was too heavy.
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Post something on pump rifle then, got one?

I responded earlier, but... I had a 760 for a quite a few years. Yes it killed deer, but mine didn't group for me at all, the fore end was fat and clumsy, it rattled, kicked bad, and was too heavy.

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Around my neck of the woods the 742 is known as the “guinea game getter”. Most of them come from downstate.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had a 742 in 30-06 and it never jammed on me in the 8 years that used it. I kept it spotlessly clean. I eventually traded it for a Ruger M77 in .280. Many of the men in my family thought I was nuts for doing that. Bolt guns were not too highly valued at that time in the Adirondacks. My brother had a Win 100 .308 and that was the jam-o-matic in our family.

Last edited by cooper57m; 08/11/16.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by tmitch
Well there's exceptions to every rule. I'd never own one, but that's just me. But then again I only handled over 100 of them over the years, so what do I know?

I own one now. My uncle gave it to me a 740 actually. It was my late grandpa's. It's in the best condition I've ever seen.

I'm going to pop one with that sucker!

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Jam-o-matic haha. I have literally never heard it called that until this thread! But, its an accurate description. My dad had one in 243 that he accounted for a stack of deer with over his lifetime. I have it now and its a really pretty BDL model with a fine glossy stock. I always liked to "look at it" but never shot it because i figured its accuracy just HAD to be sub par to what id want.

Feeling nostalgic one day after the old mans passing, i pulled it, and his model 7 stainless 243 out , found 40 rounds of his favorite factory load (federal premium gold and blue box , 85gr sierra HPBT) , and went and set up some targets. (he was a handloader as well and taught me at an early age, but the boxes of handloaded 243 around the house were unlabeled as to load, so i passed.)

I like the model 7 alot, but the accuracy is truly ho-hum. It kills and ive taken some game with it since. So after shooting it i said what the heck this old auto is gonna be pretty lame...

200yrds, 3 rounds fired fast, 3/4 inch triangle. JAM AFTER EVER SHOT. reload. 3 rounds fired fast. 1 inch triangle, JAM AFTER EVERY SHOT. Dad was the type to "sight in " a rifle on the 25yd range in our back yard and call it good.... so i was surprised to say the least. It doesnt jam much in the back of the safe. I took two hogs at 230 ish yards on the trot across a open crop field with it and thats all the use ive had for it. had to monkey with it to get it to feed for the second shot that time as well.

I'd be glad to have a nice 30-06 pump wander into my life though.

Last edited by jmd025; 08/11/16.

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
jmd

Get a chamber brush, dip it in some bore cleaner and brush the heck out of that 243 chamber. A chamber brush has a flexible wire handle and makes the job very easy. Worth a try as a first step to see if it helps to elevate that old rifle above single shot status.

WN

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
jmd

Get a chamber brush, dip it in some bore cleaner and brush the heck out of that 243 chamber. A chamber brush has a flexible wire handle and makes the job very easy. Worth a try as a first step to see if it helps to elevate that old rifle above single shot status.

WN

I appreciate the advise WN. I'm sure ill get around to it at some point.
I had myself thinking that the lack of function i was experiencing had a bit to do with the particular load not cycling the action as it needed. That factory ammo sure shoots well , but in my mind id decided that it wasnt cycling the bolt at that "just right" rate, causing the missfeeding.

Dads notes for the handloads he was running through it were quite a few grains above book max ( he was cautious in that aspect and worked up slowly reading the brass), and i dont recall it ever jamming on him.

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have an old Remington pump in .300 savage, shoots ok,. But it's the coldest rifle I've ever carried. To much bare metal in freezing weather for me!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Once it's that cold I always have gloves on anyway.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[quote=jmd025]Jam-o-matic haha. I have literally never heard it called that until this thread! But, its an accurate description. My dad had one in 243 that he accounted for a stack of deer with over his lifetime. I have it now and its a really pretty BDL model with a fine glossy stock. I always liked to "look at it" but never shot it because i figured its accuracy just HAD to be sub par to what id want.

Feeling nostalgic one day after the old mans passing, i pulled it, and his model 7 stainless 243 out , found 40 rounds of his favorite factory load (federal premium gold and blue box , 85gr sierra HPBT) , and went and set up some targets. (he was a handloader as well and taught me at an early age, but the boxes of handloaded 243 around the house were unlabeled as to load, so i passed.)

I like the model 7 alot, but the accuracy is truly ho-hum. It kills and ive taken some game with it since. So after shooting it i said what the heck this old auto is gonna be pretty lame...

200yrds, 3 rounds fired fast, 3/4 inch triangle. JAM AFTER EVER SHOT. reload. 3 rounds fired fast. 1 inch triangle, JAM AFTER EVERY SHOT. Dad was the type to "sight in " a rifle on the 25yd range in our back yard and call it good.... so i was surprised to say the least. It doesnt jam much in the back of the safe. I took two hogs at 230 ish yards on the trot across a open crop field with it and thats all the use ive had for it. had to monkey with it to get it to feed for the second shot that time as well.

I'd be glad to have a nice 30-06 pump w

FWIW, Ahlman's in Morristown, MN, converts Remingtn 740/742/7400 series autoloaders into pump action 760s. If you want to hunt with your Father's 243, the Ahlman's conversion might be a viable option for you. www.ahlmans.com

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Found an old 760 in .300 Savage today, in the OLD style, and he wants 400 for it, with a throwaway scope and see thrus.

What are the older 760 going for, these days?

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
rats

Typically old 760's around here run $300-$350 if in good shape. However, a 300 Savage has some 'cool factor' so $400 wouldn't be out of line, IF that's a caliber you want.

The 760 was only produced in 300 Savage from 1952-57. The most common one was the A-lo (low comb) with about 38,000 produced. Now, if that rifle would be an ADL or BDL version, only about 4000 of them were produced and would be worth a bit more.

Remington also produced some in 257R, 244 Rem, 222Rem,& 223rem back then. They tend to bring a premium on the used racks around here.

WN

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It's a low-comb gun, with see-thrus, to make it thoroughly unuseable. sick

The very first thing I'd do, IF I buy it, is to lose those ringmounts and the wretched scope, then decide on whether to go with a Williams peep or Weaver base, and some low rings.

I like scopes but I want them to be useable. This is a pretty light and handy rifle. I think I'd like it as much as the 336SC I bought from that pawnshop last year. He comes up with some gems now and then.

I've been regressing the last few years, going back to handy guns as opposed to long-range stuff.

I guess I'm trying to put the fun back into hunting, as opposed to just shooting another deer.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

FWIW, Ahlman's in Morristown, MN, converts Remingtn 740/742/7400 series autoloaders into pump action 760s. If you want to hunt with your Father's 243, the Ahlman's conversion might be a viable option for you. www.ahlmans.com

Have you had this done or seen one of the modified guns? Might want to consider it for my dad's 740. Thanks.

Page 41 of 149 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 148 149

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,761 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,619
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.