Print Thread
Hop To
L
Lawdwaz Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I'm going to try the Slick Trick Viper Tricks.

The buck I killed a couple weeks ago was a great shot and I didn't get a complete pass through. Yes, there was an exit hole but only the broadhead punched through. When I found the buck the broadhead and 8" of shaft were still in him. The rest of the shaft was found near where he died. The shot was dead center in the heart but didn't pass through completely.......

After reading JJ Hack's glowing praises of the penetrating abilities of the Viper Tricks I thing I'll give them a "shot", my stash of ST's is a bit low.

I'm pulling about 57 pounds......

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
look at what it takes to penetrate, the old tried and true cut on contact heads.

Why we ever thought we needed to go away from that I don't know, well progress yeah I get it all. bla bla bla.

Look at a razor trick, a slick trick and a viper trick. Viper looks a LOT more like COC head and I think you will be pleased.

I can recall a few non pass throughs on big pigs and big deer with muzzy type heads over the yeras, especially from Carolyn's lighter draw bow.

I cannot ever recall non complete penetration pass through from a COC head, excepting one big hog she shot with a COC head, but that boar was over 350 pounds and shot with a 40something poudn draw bow....

Anything that starts to cut its way in instead of having to punch its way in has to penetrate further.

Now I get the big holes in the hide from the punch through heads... it has to gather up hide before it powers through so the hole is likely bigger than the head by far, compared to those that cut their way in. Hole in skin isn't much of a matter, only hole in vitals.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Lawdwaz Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Yes, I've used COC heads before so I know the deal. Zwickey, Magnus and Rothar Snuffers have worked well when I was using traditional gear but went to the ST heads maybe 10 years ago while shooting a compound.

I've ordered two packs of the VT heads and will shoot them this winter.

Last edited by Lawdwaz; 11/23/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is an obvious penetration gain with them. Good choice! I'm sure you will see a difference right away. Just look at the design it's visually better too.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Yes, I've used COC heads before so I know the deal. Zwickey, Magnus and Rothar Snuffers have worked well when I was using traditional gear but went to the ST heads maybe 10 years ago while shooting a compound.

I've ordered two packs of the VT heads and will shoot them this winter.

No flies on slick trick, but we shot the COC heads out of compounds for years and at this point still do. Recurves and compounds. Only use slick tricks for xbow due to size required, small enough to fit the xbow.

Plus its never bad to have reserves. LOL.

I"ve shot COC heads through compounds since appx 1980 after starting with savora and then wasp heads and not being overly happy. BIL used Zwickey forever and then we started.

Let us know how the vipers go!!! Always good to have info.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I'm sure Viper Tricks are great and I'll try 'em if I ever run out of Slick Tricks. This was the largest/heaviest buck I've shot with a bow:

[Linked Image]

He was no match at 32 yards for my Slick Tricks @ 70#s - Stevie Wonder could've taken his shoes off and tracked this deer!! laugh
[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,170 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,135
Posts18,464,707
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.