Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
ChetAF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Counting sage hens takes a toll!!! grin

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That it does. grin I do miss getting to see that country on a regular basis...

Last edited by pointer; 01/05/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I should have never looked at this thread. I have three g.33/40 actions and now I want them to look like the rifle shown on this thread. Unfortunately I don't have any Alaskan Amber or Top Shelf Gin.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What is the finish and color name ? Again, looks great.

Thanks

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

plain [Linked Image]

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Savage_99

plain

Only an idiot would call functional perfection "plain".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In his defence, we haven't seen proof that it will pass Savage's "2-shot" test yet! grin

Or maybe he was talking about Echols!

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

plain [Linked Image]

Clueless.

Hilarious.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
ChetAF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This rifle will be exposed to a lot of 'wet rocks' and other outdoor elements, so I went with an easily repairable finish. grin

It is the regular McMillan paint.

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

plain [Linked Image]

Well, there was little doubt on who could possibly replace safariman as the biggest imbecile here - thanks for removing all doubt.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Beautiful rifle. Looks like a perfect hard hunting rifle! Congrats on it.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Chet-

Wow, can't add any more superlatives. Really perfect.

Follow up on the paint as I have a MCM I need to get painted and I want it to look exactly like yours.

Is that brown with black speckles? Any specific details would be appreciated.

Also, FYI, my stock in question is a Legend and will have a black pad as well, or maybe red... I gave both and can't decide.

Thanks

Bob

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wow, there are no words that I can think of to adequately describe the incredible level of ignorance displayed by such a comment. I usually refrain from jumping on the pile, but holy cow, just unbelievable

plain [Linked Image]

plain [Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can live with "Plain" as Simplicity is the Essence of Perfection
John Rigby understood and applied it in their rifles as well
Everything D'Arcy does to a rifle is meant to affect it's function.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Chet,

I had to opportunity to look over and photograph your action, or one identical to it, during a visit to Echols shop in May, 2014. I went over it from stem to stern and it was as good as a G33/40 can be made to be. Burgess metalwork leaves nothing lacking. He was a true genius and his likes will not come this way again anytime soon. I would have loved to bring that action home with me but D'Arcy never let me with the action out of his sight. The reason for my trip, other than to visit with an old friend, was to gather information on Burgess for an article I was writing for Gun Digest on the man and his work. That article, including a photo of your action, is published in the current edition of Gun Digest that came out last July. Shown here is one of the images of the action.

[Linked Image]

As far as the completed rifle being described as "plain," there is a style for every taste. In my world, I would call it elegant.

TT

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That is magnificent. If you ever want to sell it, put me in line. I'd sell the rest of my stuff to own that.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
What is the barrel length on this rifle?

What is the barrel length on your .270 Legend?

Would you do anything different or make the barrel lengths longer or shorter?

Thanks!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T Square

Did you ever get a chance to visit with Thomas at his little shop next to his home there right outside of Kalispell?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Alas, never had the pleasure of meeting with him. As far as I know, he didn't attend any of the shows and I've never been in Kalispell, other that passing through. I got my information from various sources who knew Burgess very well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was there twice. Met his lovely wife as well. Once you got past his ___________ (whatever you want to call it) he was really a very nice man, and very generous with his time. He liked to visit, especially when he didn't have anything else going on in the shop. And he really loved telling stories about Jack O'Connor.

One of the times I was there I happened to have my copy of the old Gun Digest Review of Custom Guns edited by Ken Warner. He was very gracious to sign it for me on page 42, where there is a really good photo of all of the Custom Smiths (or most of them I guess) who attended the 1979 NRA show at Salt Lake City. So I guess that photo tends to show that he did attend at least one Show.

His shop was very modest. In fact, when he first showed me around I could hardly believe that the quality of the work he was putting out came from such a meager shop.

I made sure that his time with me wasn't for naught. Even though I didn't need any, I purchased a set of his famous scope rings (he liked cash money) I should have never sold them, but life goes on and takes us all with it.

You, being the absolute gun nut that you are, would have liked him.

Do you get over to Cody much when you are having "yet another" stock made by Gary Goudy?
K

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 7mm_Loco, 13 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,662
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.