Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great to see you guiding again Jake! Are you going to do the spring bear hunts up in unit 13 again?? You pulled some big ones out if their..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

B
BRWNBR Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
ya i'm back at it full time now! missed the mountains those two years off!!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Pretty exciting seeing rams that close huh? Had a Powder Blue not quite legal Stone ram looking over a bush at me and my guide in the Yukon one time at about the same range. My Indian "guide"'s eyes about popped out of his head. He looked like Marty Feldman. LOL. Fun stuff for sure. Who do you guide for up there BRWNBR?

B
BRWNBR Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
i own and am the sole guide for black river hunting camps llc. not sure if i'm allowed to post my websight on here or not...i'll leave that to google...lol

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Looks like you run a good outfit Jake. I always wanted to hunt the Talkeetnas and even talked to a guy named Brad Finch about hunting there years ago. I think he murdered a couple of smokers in the Talkeetnas himself and was outfitting there. IIRC he came down to the lower 48 to get his pilots license one winter and then piled up his plane the next summer scouting. He always told me that if you could walk far enough that there were big rams in the Talkeetnas. Looks like you pretty well got it figured out per your website. Wish I had one more Dall hunt in me because I'd like to see the Talkeetnas. Prolly ain't gonna happen though. Cheers.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Would love to learn how to call Rams any one have a link to
a Sheep Call or proper call sound.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There is a video somewhere I have seen. It's been like 20 years ago. Let me see if I can find it.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BRWNBR
ya i'm back at it full time now! missed the mountains those two years off!!

Sweet! one day me and my buds will get back into the alphabets and hunt those bears know of couple potential den sights. Just finding time and having decent snow...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought my call which is actually a deer grunt tube type call, at the Sheep Show probably 20 years ago. I'm pretty sure I bought it from Gordon Eastman after seeing him use it on one of his videos. I think the name of the video was "Bighorns" which was filmed in Alberta and Nevada IIRC.

IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Awesome story & ram. Appreciate the insights into gear also.

Keep up the good work!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nice work Jake, glad to hear you are back at it. Great ram, and sounds like it was well earned.

You are the only other person I've heard describe the "ram sack tap". We saw the same thing a couple years ago - #2 ram walked up behind #1 and kicked him in the balls with his front leg. We couldn't make #2 legal, but #1 came home with me.

B
BRWNBR Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
guess there is worse things than a kick in the balls!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sheephunter2
Looks like you run a good outfit Jake. I always wanted to hunt the Talkeetnas and even talked to a guy named Brad Finch about hunting there years ago. I think he murdered a couple of smokers in the Talkeetnas himself and was outfitting there. IIRC he came down to the lower 48 to get his pilots license one winter and then piled up his plane the next summer scouting. He always told me that if you could walk far enough that there were big rams in the Talkeetnas. Looks like you pretty well got it figured out per your website. Wish I had one more Dall hunt in me because I'd like to see the Talkeetnas. Prolly ain't gonna happen though. Cheers.

Knew Brad fairly well and his areas... he was tough and willing to go farther than most...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That is a far better picture of the hunter than he sent to me. WTH.

Nicely done by hunter and guide.

I might have to try a quilt, for years I've been sleeping with my bag unzipped over me and quickly noticed I was warmer. Even my brother started and he noticed the same.

B
BRWNBR Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I was skeptical on the quilt set up but now I'm way sold on it! Loved it. Looks like I may go with a warm lite tent this next season and see how I like it before I get another one.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Have you thought about a tipi Jake?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been using an EE quilt for years. Glad they are finally catching on. I've found the temp ratings spot on.

B
BRWNBR Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
tipi? i haven't not thought about that, i don't carry treking poles and have avoided shelters than rely on those, also on floorless shelters as i camp in snow and wet ground quite a bit. are tipis capable of 60mph winds?

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Put a floorless shelter on wet ground and it quickly becomes dry ground, unless the water table is above ground level. That said, I can't see a floored shelter working in a bog...

Not all floorless are tipis...some have a low profile and pitch with a ul squatty pole or two.

OTOH,If it's two guys against one sheep, there's no reason to not use a bomber tent. A few extra pounds won't break the hunt. Pitching floorless on rocks is tougher to anchor.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (300_savage, 264mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,490 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,435
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.