Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
BRWNBR Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
My guide season is finally over and i have a few moments to write a few little stories up.
Had a great client come up on his dream dall sheep hunt this past august. He was in great shape and above all had an amazing attitude, one of those guys you almost hate to see tag out cause you love hunting with them!
Day two found us in the back of a valley, with four rams in the spotting scope. All just shy of full curl, but one that appeared to have legality on age. I decided a closer look was in order, told the client it was doubtfull but still a closer look is better than giving up! we talked about how there could be other rams, over the rise or out of sight. Sheep are funny like that.
We moved to within 460 yards and then were busted as the biggest of the rams stared us down. I had him in the spotter and noticed he looked bigger than he had before, another ram came up and kicked him stiffly in the balls, while laying his head across this rams back. It was a fifth ram, just happened to show up and check these younger rams out while we were doing the same thing!
three of the rams, stook with their foreheads pressed against each others, pushing back and forth, sizing up the other. my client was loaded and ready with his 280 ackley improved. the new ram was shy of full but broken both his tips off and appeared to have age on the other rams. in a moment he walked straight away from the small band of rams, out onto his own. he died that way, high up in the loose wet rocks with a bullet thru his chest.
It ended up behing a blessing of a ram, as alaskas weather turned for the worse for the next two months. Was one of the neatest sheep hunting experiences i've had aside from calling rams in. but thats another story....

[Linked Image]

On my gear side of things this year, i dropped my conventional sleeping bag and went with a Enlightened Equipment zero degree quilt. its right about 20oz and one of the warmest sleep systems i've ever had. this year i'll be getting new backpacking tents, as my old 3lb $180 tents are finally wore out after 10 years of use...
wish i had bought more of them.
also went with a delorme inreach sat texter, which worked awesome, even can get a weather report on it! my goal zero charger worked well for keeping it and my iphone charged up.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Tell me more about the quilt....drafts?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
B
BRWNBR Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
no drafts, i was pretty suprised. i did sleep with a hat on since there is no mummy style hood on them. but in warm temps i could open up the quilt, but when it was colder i used the straps that buckle around my sleeping pad, holding it in place, actually more roomy than a sleeping bag. there is a draw string around the top of the quilt so i could pull it in. it is made with treated down and has alot of loft, dang, making me sleepy just thinking about it!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What temperatures were you in relative to the comfort in that 0 quilt as well. Thanks...

Congrats on the ram!

- Greg

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks for the info. Did you sleep with your base layer on as well as your cap?

- Greg

IC B2

B
BRWNBR Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
i used it down to about 15 degrees and felt no difference. i wear a light base layer most the time, i don't like my legs sticking together...lol my feet were way warmer in the quilt than in my sleeping bags.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I hope to have a quilt by next season. Nice post Brwnbr.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Nice post and thanks for sharing.

Calling sheep, eh? I'd like to hear more about that!

Cheers!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Calvin
I hope to have a quilt by next season. Nice post Brwnbr.

Me too. I think I've been eyeing the same quilt that was used here.

- Greg

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nice ram. 38 by 14 162 ish?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice Ram, looks like he took a tumble. Having a prepared and right minded client is huge on a hunt like that.

How do you call them in? I've thought that a couple of baseball bats whacking together might get a dominant ram to at least peek over a ridge to check things out... of course he has you pretty well pinpointed then.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You take a deer grunt tube type call and pull the reed out a little bit so it has a deeper sound and blow it softly so it has an eeeeooow sound. I've called in Stone sheep and Rocky's doing this. I think it was Duncan Gilchrist who came up with this idea years ago IIRC. Damn sure works.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool, I'll need to try that on deserts...

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Tag, if I draw my archery tag in CO this year, I will contact you regarding making a call.

Interesting.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, if we're gonna have a 2015 sheep thread, I'll add mine. I know Harry (Battue) has been asking to see these pics again....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
How about if I sneak in a couple of 2014 Alaska Range rams. Buddy of mine on the right with an 8 year old 37" Dall (his first) and me on the left with a 10 year old broomed 35" (my 10th and probably last Dall). Had a lot of fun chasing White Sheep around in AK, NWT, and the Yukon the last 30 years.

Attached Images
2014 Alaska Range.JPG (47.36 KB, 168 downloads)
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
Well, if we're gonna have a 2015 sheep thread, I'll add mine. I know Harry (Battue) has been asking to see these pics again....

[Linked Image]

Can't say I mind seeing it again, and again congrats. 👍

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks for the pics and write-ups! Sheep hunting is in a class by itself!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nice write up.

I too converted to EE Quilts and will never go back to a mummy bag.

What other gear do you prefer as a guide up there?

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
B
BRWNBR Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
i'm using a mix of everything, i have sitka pants, first lite shirts, cabela's coat and bino's, swarovski spotter, havalon knives, Neo air mattress, barneys backpacks, kuiu gloves. i hate that gear people develope their own camo pattern and try to get you to make all your clothes match. i get gear i like and don't care what it looks like, movement seems to be much more detrimental to sheep hunting than blending in does.
I call sheep by mouth, steves outdoor adventures did a tv show once and i called in a almost legal ram to 3 yards...
but i wouldn't let them air the noise i made..lol

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (204guy, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 54 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.