Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Couldn't resist taking a pic of Mack551 and OIDabble's Roller, prior to dismantling / packing it to send home.

In yesterday AM's clear albeit cold light,....a new, and somewhat older arrival sure looked right at home beside it

[Linked Image]

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Interesting, "New York Perchbelly Rifle" from a somewhat accomplished builder,....R.R. Moore, Cortland, N.Y.

Over and under, Nominal .38 Cal. up, 28 Ga. Down

[Linked Image]

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Outside of missing it's wiping sticks, and needing but a few MINOR repairs, ...this more than likely "Historically Signifigent" O&U is in pretty remarkable shape,... The wood in the lock areas ands wrist in particular

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
This piece is SCREAMING to be awoken, and taken back into the "Leatherstocking Country",... put back to work and HUNTED hard,...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by crossfireoops; 12/31/15.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Busy I-net tonight,...and slow uploads indicate that one should go after this in calmer seas.More detailed pics, ....soon.
I'm REALLY looking forward to getting inside of and beside this wonderfully balanced and very practical muzzle loading arm

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
It's a nice place to sit,....my beat up old lurk,....those who've sat here, present and departed could tell ya' that,...Very nostalgiac, and somewhat bemused time,...in terms of what means "Adios'", Compadres.

The lurk,....
Damn near everywhere I look, I'm seeing American Black Powder History, ALIVE, and ongoing into the future !
I'd like to thank all involved in this phenomena for the TRUST and faith inveyed,....and for continuing to haul in these pieces of the past, with a view towards SHOOTING them, as opposed to "collecting".

FWIW, there's a FANATICAL Hivernan from the "Dacks" working up some more history about this one,....He'll KNOW who I'm talking about,....If the mood's upon him, I'd appreciate his throwing in with his $.02 about the builder, and the area he and the rifle springs from.

He's already bent my ear,....and it's the stuff of legend, .....no chit, take THAT to the bank.

GTC

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Can't wait to see the fruits of this endeavor, Greg.

May you have a happy, healthy, prosperous New Year!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Dan's big 25 lb. .54 is next in the que, Ed.
Looks like the regeneration of all the four pin gear, ball starters, and other loading tools / sights is do-able,...albeit really head scratcher material,...

So many of the fine old target guns are missing their original kit, it seems to be a worthy quest,...

No idea as to what the final disposition of this NY piece will be,....just tickled to grab a feel, as it were.

Looks like that original .45-90 is going to be a long term resident,...

Happy New Years and forward to you, your fine lady ( the brains of the outfit) and all your stock.

GTC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That Moore O/U is lovely!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

It certainly IS a handsome and endearing piece.

Poor quality pic of the Tang, which is bored / tapped to take a "Lollipop" sight (missing, of course). Very strange gun to view from the top side ,...e.g. sidehammers but only one barrel

[Linked Image]

Hmmmm, did the owner pack this rig south of the MD line ?
.....The chiseling on the barrel sight looks an awful lot like that now unmentionable ********** flag eek eek eek , ....no ?

[Linked Image]

Moore built false muzzled heavy target rifles, AND telescopes,....reputedly less than 1200 rifles total, and he DID serial number them,...this one's well into the 1100 range, he was getting on towards the end when it came together,....the crisp and very well calibrated stadia in front of the front dove would maybe call out two different options ? NICE brass part, the "hunter" that it currently wears. The forward set of stadia look to be calling out a tunnel sight to me, ....probably windage adjustable.

[Linked Image]

Greg

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GTC,

That OU is phenomenal!

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Believe me, the photos don't do it justice, and hangin' that perch belly stock against one's cheek and watching the sights line right up is a real treat.

I'm TRYING to get some feedback out of it's place of birth, "Leatherstocking Country"...it's CLEARLY a "historically signifigant" arm, crafted by a locally famous craftsman.

Got this off the web
I'm currently seeking copies of the pages discussed,. bolded / Red, below. .....or any OTHER feedback regarding RR Moore's guns.

The only gunsmith known to have worked in Cincinnatus, New York, was Rensselaer R. Moore, which sounds like too good a match to be coincidence. He stamped his rifles "R. R. MOORE CINCINATTUS NY". He worked in Cincinnatus circa 1837 - 1866. In mid-year 1866 he moved to Cortland, New York, where he continued in business until his death in 1877. Rifles made in Cortland are stamped "R. R. MOORE CORTLAND NY". Many of his rifles are serial numbered. Many also have an eagle stamped after his name and address.R. R. Moore was born in New York in 1821 or 1822, and claimed in 1855 that he had lived in Cincinnatus his entire life. He died in Cortland, N Y , on January 11, 1877.R. R. Moore was by no means a crude country blacksmith/gunsmith. He made extremely high quality rifles, including some very complex long range target rifles with false muzzles and guide bullet starters. Many of these were equipped with a full length scope of Moore's own manufacture. He also made double and three barreled rifles and rifle/shotgun combinations. There are 19 pages devoted to R. R. Moore and his work, in THE NEW YORK STATE FIREARMS TRADE, Vol 3 by H. J. Swinney/ Tom Rowe. These include beautiful photographs of nine different rifles

Once I've got the big Civil War sniper's rifle off the bench, and the original Sharps re-lined, I'll be waking this o&u up and shooting it.
Needs a hammmer screw, one worn sear notch built up and re-cased, wood chip repair,...minor stuff.
Depends, ...the rifle IS for sale,and a buyer may wish to do alla' that himself. and credible offers WILL be entertained.
I would HATE to see this rifle disappear into a "collector's" vault,....it belongs back in the dacks,....hunting game.

GTC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, that rifle needs to be in the 'dacks; badly.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Was it Matthew Quigley that said, "You sure are pretty in the mornin' Sun" ?
Likin' the view from what passes for a desk here this AM,..I swear the German Silver / "White Brass" furniture on these two old galoots came from the same foundry, if not the same pour.
The O&U More rifle is cuddled up next to the wood off a George Leonard and Sons, New Hampshire ML target rifle that probably rode with Berdan's crew of miscreant long shooters,...a 25 lb beast that's near ready to shoot after extensive repair and refit, another one that came in broken in half. Currently am spooling up a complete set of 4 pin muzzle guides, starters, etc. Gotta' build a rear sight, too.
Neither one of em's a slouch,...but
The quality of the Moore Rifle's assembly, versus the Leonard is evident, Moore was the better engineer, and the Leonard bunch placed their faith in cabalistic adornment,...It sports some pretty nice engraving, to compliment it's WTF that is on the cheekpeice.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice toy you're playing with there pard, are you worthy? laugh

Those deep grooves make me smile if for no other reason than I've toyed with them in the past. Takes some determination to make them shoot, but shoot they will, make no mistake.

Dan

PS: You're getting pretty hot with that camera. Kudos on that morning sunshine pic!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
If I lay my head up against whatever the hell that's SUPPOSED to be on the cheekpiece, and get one INKLING that something's not right, or if it starts to glow red hot, and give off "negative waves" I'm going to call in an exorcism team,...

I would imagine that laying it on the ground and pizzing all over it will settle it down until they're dispatched from the Vatican.
I lost the Pope's number,...anybody have it handy ?

GTC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are those the Traditions rifle available at bass pro and walmart? snicker,,,,,,

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I had it out at a meet, and some idiot asked me, "How many bullets does it hold?"

Is it just me , or are there more of them around than ever before ?

GTC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Keep your eyes peeled for a Ballard 32-40 at a decent price.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
If I lay my head up against whatever the hell that's SUPPOSED to be on the cheekpiece, and get one INKLING that something's not right, or if it starts to glow red hot, and give off "negative waves" I'm going to call in an exorcism team,...

I would imagine that laying it on the ground and pizzing all over it will settle it down until they're dispatched from the Vatican.
I lost the Pope's number,...anybody have it handy ?

GTC

Compadre, I think that weird design may be one of the odd "early American" bird motifs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (17CalFan, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,166
Posts18,465,289
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.