Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So, I've always had Labrador retrievers (English Labs, not those high strung field trial stock dogs) even though I don't duck hunt. I'd like to try something different.
I'm thinking of getting an English Setter mainly for a family dog, house dog, and woods walking companion. Can any of you with experience with English setters tell me if this will be a good idea or not?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had a couple of Llewellin Setters from puppyhood thru old age (16). They are the best family/house dog by far of the pointing breeds in my experience. Very calm and well mannered indoors, good with children, other pets and smart. Can't imagine having one and not hunting it though.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Ryman line of setters were bred to be companion as well as hunting dogs. The line started not far from me here in NE PA, but there are a few breeders in other places. AFAIK there are 3 lines of english setters. I'm sure some others will chime in. Mine is from DeCoverly Kennels in NE PA. I've always had goldens but decided to try another breed when one of mine died. He's got a great nose and is a good hunter. One downside is that they maybe don't last long hunting in warm weather but that also depends on conditioning and the size of the dog. As you can see I work mine hard.
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've never know an aggressive setter. Never known one to bite someone. Most of the ones I have had have not been real bright. Most of the setters I have know have not been real bright. They have all been excellent house and family dogs. They have all had odd quirks. They have all been out of a rather specialized line though.

The one I have now is the brightest dog I have ever had. She never makes the same mistake twice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MikeS
Very calm and well mannered indoors, good with children, other pets and smart. Can't imagine having one and not hunting it though.

To say the least...
[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
One downside is that they maybe don't last long hunting in warm weather but that also depends on conditioning and the size of the dog.

Mine gets clipped pretty short right before bird season opens on 9/1, but a couple hours is still about the most she can take early in the season.
[Linked Image]

If I didn't, it would be less as she gets pretty fuzzy when grown out.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Ryman line of setters were bred to be companion as well as hunting dogs. The line started not far from me here in NE PA, but there are a few breeders in other places. AFAIK there are 3 lines of english setters. I'm sure some others will chime in. Mine is from DeCoverly Kennels in NE PA. I've always had goldens but decided to try another breed when one of mine died. He's got a great nose and is a good hunter. One downside is that they maybe don't last long hunting in warm weather but that also depends on conditioning and the size of the dog. As you can see I work mine hard.
[Linked Image]

What are their names, Suffering and Abused?? grin grin

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
One downside is that they maybe don't last long hunting in warm weather but that also depends on conditioning and the size of the dog.

Mine gets clipped pretty short right before bird season opens on 9/1, but a couple hours is still about the most she can take early in the season.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I know that look. laugh

Llewellins tend to be very affectionate. The pure English not so much, that's why LLewellin bred his strain carefully. He wanted dogs that had a more innate affection and connection toward their masters.

I like all the setter breeds for a House/Hunting combination dog.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
There's not enough wild birds left here in eastern N.C for me to really concern myself with hunting them. I usually hunt pen-raised quail when I do go. I just need a woods-walking buddy and family pet. Perhaps even a hunting reject would suffice.
And I need something smaller and easier to toss in the truck than a Lab.

Last edited by Triggernosis; 01/01/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I know that look. laugh

As well you should! wink

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by luv2safari
[Linked Image]

What are their names, Suffering and Abused?? grin grin

I'm just lucky they let me live with them!!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Is she from Bruce's litter? If so I've got her sister.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
So, I've always had Labrador retrievers (English Labs, not those high strung field trial stock dogs) even though I don't duck hunt. I'd like to try something different.
I'm thinking of getting an English Setter mainly for a family dog, house dog, and woods walking companion. Can any of you with experience with English setters tell me if this will be a good idea or not?
Get one for those reasons, you won't regret it. "Lucy" was the easiest-to-raise dog I've had in my life. And a soft mouth, never chewed.

If I out-live her I'll get another. Unfortunately, not for hunting this time. Love them Labs, though. But they chew!

Hang on to your memories; they're better than the real thing ever was - Joe Sherlock

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Is she from Bruce's litter? If so I've got her sister.

Yes sir. Hard to believe they're 5 already.

The 3 I have owned come from big time field trialers, a mix of Tekoa Mountain Sunrise and Hicks Rising Sun depending on the dog, and they like to work.

My first one was big and strong, she was force fetched and wanted to run.

My current older one (middle dog) would rather walk\run around my yard all day everyday than come sit in the house. She is nonstop, even at 8 years old.

The youngest one is a firecracker, she will be the same I'm guessing, with even more of a free spirit.

They all have been gentle, well tempered and smart. They are English dogs though, and don't want to be a hip companion, mine would rather be doing their own thing and check in from time to time.

Polar opposite of the German dogs who want their muzzle in your pocket anytime they can get it in there.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Best dog I ever had, hands down , was an English setter. She got me into more girls, more birds, more social things, did I say women? I found hard core dog haters reconsidered their feelings about dogs after meeting her.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
There's not enough wild birds left here in eastern N.C for me to really concern myself with hunting them.

Amen to that. I quit when my last dog died in '97. Before that, Dad had setters. Great dogs for hunt and home, although one we had didn't care for infant children. Ours ranged a little too far for the thick stuff we had to hunt, so I got a German Shorthair when I got my own dog. Just in time for the quail population crash. I miss bird hunting badly. I mean, I badly miss bird hunting.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I English setter. Great Companion and hunting dog. I live in Northern South Dakota. The dog doesn't mind being outside in sub zero weather and we keep our dogs in the house, partially due to coyotes, mountain lions etc. The setter likes to lay with his head on my foot when I'm sitting in a chair. He sleeps as close to our bed as he can. He's a very gentle dog.

The issue with English Setters seems to be the same as with my last dog which was a Golden Lab. Their family tree is sometimes to narrow and thus have certain health issues.

My setter has arthritis. He falls down when going down steep grades (can't handle stairs in the house). He's such a happy dog. He's 9 years old. He loves to hunt, but I worry about him pushing himself too much during the hunt.

My Golden Lab broke my heart when we had to put her down. I don't know when/how etc. I can handle this again.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great dogs. My first big male Buster was a tri- color and was gg grandson of the Performer + Sandhill Becky. Great dog and pet. He lived to be 15. His running mate was Dixie Belle she lived to 13.

My two setters are both female. One is 5, Scarlett and the other is Bleu Belle, she's 1. They both will out last me. Very active outdoors but couch potatoes inside. My wife said I bought a stated BD and ended up with a finished lap dog. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Wonderful disposition and one of better indoor hunting dogs.

Trouble finding a breeder with good trouble free lines

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.