-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Starting back at the start on this thread the OP was speaking of the source as unreliable so the whole thing is a guess...

But my point is a c&c bullet with minimal penetration is going to have expanded wildly at some point... because they do when stopping early. That usually means a lot of local damage and pretty fast kills.

Archery lung hits can cut a lot of tissue, but not nearly as much as a c&c flaring. Frank Glaser in Jim Rearden's book about his wolf hunting in Alaska was quoted saying the 220Swift (with early c&c bullets) was the fastest killer of all the rifles he had used on everything up to brown bears.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HEB330
I've shot a lot of smaller whitetails through BOTH LUNGS, with blood pouring out like a faucet, with all sorts of calibers ranging from .22 to .375, and had several run 100-150 yards. An elk going 200 is not surprising. Oh, and didn't it die? Your biased opinion on the 243 is likely not warranted, but we are all entitled to one.....

My biased opinion on the .243 as a elk cartridge is fully warranted based on what I have seen over the last 30+ years of elk hunting. That experience includes seeing more elk wounded and lost after being shot with a .243 than any other single cartridge and if not more than all others combined, close to it. In my estimation it is best used as an elk cartridge when in the hands of an experienced hunter who can shoot well.

I've often said I believe most of the elk I've taken would have fallen to my .22-250 and a 40g varmint bullet -- but I wouldn't choose that combination even if it was legal.

An elk going 200 yards is, in my experience since I started hunting them in 1982, indicative of a poorly placed shot or a poor choice of cartridge and bullet or both.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by HEB330
I've shot a lot of smaller whitetails through BOTH LUNGS, with blood pouring out like a faucet, with all sorts of calibers ranging from .22 to .375, and had several run 100-150 yards. An elk going 200 is not surprising. Oh, and didn't it die? Your biased opinion on the 243 is likely not warranted, but we are all entitled to one.....

My biased opinion on the .243 as a elk cartridge is fully warranted based on what I have seen over the last 30+ years of elk hunting. That experience includes seeing more elk wounded and lost after being shot with a .243 than any other single cartridge and if not more than all others combined, close to it. In my estimation it is best used as an elk cartridge when in the hands of an experienced hunter who can shoot well.

I've often said I believe most of the elk I've taken would have fallen to my .22-250 and a 40g varmint bullet -- but I wouldn't choose that combination even if it was legal.

An elk going 200 yards is, in my experience since I started hunting them in 1982, indicative of a poorly placed shot or a poor choice of cartridge and bullet or both.

I agree with about everything you are saying except you leave out the most important variable, the bullet quality. And knowledge gained before true premium bullets came out adds little to the knowledge base on the positive side.

And monmetals is where I think premium bullets start.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I agree with about everything you are saying except you leave out the most important variable, the bullet quality. And knowledge gained before true premium bullets came out adds little to the knowledge base on the positive side.

And monmetals is where I think premium bullets start.

You are correct that bullet construction makes a big difference. I know some and probably most of the .243 failures I've see were with cup-and-core bullets used by both adults and younger hunters. It wouldn't surprise me if every case was one where the cheapest Winchester or Remington ammo on the shelf was the one used.

As to premium bullets, I fully admit to being biased in their favor. If I was shooting a .243 it would be with TTSX bullets. We do disagree somewhat on where Premiums start. I run Barnes MRX (what few I have left) and TTSX, Swift A-Frame (.257 Roberts only), North Fork SS and FP, Nosler AccuBond and Swift Scirocco II (6.5-06AI only). The only cup-and -core bullets I use are in low muzzle velocity applications -- my handguns, lever guns and Nosler BT in my 16.1" barreled .308 Win Ruger Scout.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Why is everything a huge argument with you?

It's as if when someone says something on the internet that you disagree with you become some sort of high inquisitor or something.

Rick call on you and we missed it or you self appointed?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
80 grain Core Lokt. I'd bet money. Definitely not the bullet I would choose for elk. Of course, I would not likely shoot an elk on purpose with a 243, as much as I love the cartridge. If I did, it would be a mono-metal. Don't hate me 'cause I'm practical. grin

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,766 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,275
Posts18,467,528
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.