Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
…..an early Triple Lock
[Linked Image]
…unfortunately someone fiddled with the front sight and had a thin blade inserted for a rear sight---it's well done, but ruined the collectors value of the gun….other than that, it's in great shape and still has case colors on the hammer!

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by twofish

[Linked Image]
Does the same company insure that that does the Hope Diamond?

Haha, I've had this one a long time. Not sure I would be willing to cough up the coin they are bringing these days.

EdM, not sure which gun you were talking about the porting on but mine definitely is not. That would be sacrilege IMHO. (Nevermind, I saw the 58 you were referring to.)

I have always loved the looks of the 58's and as I recall Mr. Keith thought the .41 Mag to be about the perfect service revolver cartridge.

Last edited by twofish; 01/02/16.

*Master of random precision*
FZY Online Content
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

Top is a Colt Officers Model Match and the bottom a Colt Cobra. Both guns came to me in May when my father passed away. Dad was a LA County Marshal who retired in 87. The cobra was his off duty and in the early days of his career he carried the 6" until the department began issuing side arms. Dad was gifted the Model Match from my uncle, a former California Highway Patrol officer who was injured in a on duty motorcycle accident, when he graduated the academy.

Funny story. Dad was a very good shot. One day after coming back to the court house from his annual qualifying and after calling court into session, he brought in a particularly violent defendant. There was extra security in the court room because of this man. The judge in open court stopped session and asked dad how his qualifying had gone. Dad a very modest man said it went fine. Judge asked him if he had his qualifying target and to bring it up to the bench. Upon review, the judge held it up to the defendant commenting, "I suggest that you don't cause any trouble in my courtroom". The target scored 118 our of a possible 120. If I recall, 12 shots in 15 seconds with a reload.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
FZY, cool story and nice guns..

A .357 nickle, and stainless .44:

[Linked Image]

Molon Labe
IC B2

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Another Model 10. Round butt pencil barrel from 1961.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Since we're in a love-fest of fixed sighted guns, which IMHO are useless beyond 25 yards, I offer this S&W model 10 no dash:
[Linked Image]

and it's brother, a model 12-3 airweight:
[Linked Image]

and model 58 nickel:
[Linked Image]

and Bowen pre-20 converted to .44 Special:
[Linked Image]

Ken
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by desertoakie
Since we're in a love-fest of fixed sighted guns, which IMHO are useless beyond 25 yards,

I can't do it any more, but back when I was heavily involved playing the IHMSA game I could regularly go 10 for 10 on the Javelina at 100 meters with a warmly loaded 5" model 10.

A few of us always hung out at the range and practiced every Saturday and got to be good friends.

It was always good for a laugh but nobody acted particularly impressed by it. They were pretty heavily involved in the IHMSA game also.

Long range handgun shooting was the norm for us Silhouette range rats back then.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Since we're in a love-fest of fixed sighted guns, which IMHO are useless beyond 25 yards,

I can't do it any more, but back when I was heavily involved playing the IHMSA game I could regularly go 10 for 10 on the Javelina at 100 meters with a warmly loaded 5" model 10.

A few of us always hung out at the range and practiced every Saturday and got to be good friends.

It was always good for a laugh but nobody acted particularly impressed by it. They were pretty heavily involved in the IHMSA game also.

Long range handgun shooting was the norm for us Silhouette range rats back then.
Back in the early 1980s there was a range officer, an older fellow ... retired deputy, who would often show off his skills by hitting a clay pigeon against the sand backstop at a little over a hundred yards using his Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special, which was a fixed sighted, three inch barreled, revolver of medium quality. He typically only required one attempt to break it.

It was his exploits with the Bulldog .44 that motivated me to buy one back in those days. Wish I never sold it. It was my carry gun for a few years in the early 1980s.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Back in the early 1980s there was a range officer, an older fellow ... retired deputy, who would often show off his skills by hitting a clay pigeon against the sand backstop at a little over a hundred yards using his Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special, which was a fixed sighted, three inch barreled, revolver of medium quality. He typically only required one attempt to break it.

It was his exploits with the Bulldog .44 that motivated me to buy one back in those days. Wish I never sold it. It was my carry gun for a few years in the early 1980s.

Hitting the Javelina at 100 meters with the Model 10 wasn't really that difficult. The trajectory of that load put it pretty much dead on at 100 meters for elevation. But the bullet would drift about 12" to the right over a 100 meter span.

I'd just hold a fine sight on edge of the little pigs butt and the bullet would impact a few inches over its front leg. From the Creedmore position it got to be like shelling peas after a while.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
It's just a matter of figuring out how far above to hold the front sight over the top edge of the rear, then putting the top of the front sight on the target (accounting, of course, for whatever "Kentucky windage" you may require). After that, it's mostly a matter of the shooter's ability.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Yeah,..but if I had to gauge holdover it would have been more difficult. There was no holdover at 100 meters with the load I was shooting. (190 grain cast and too much Blue Dot) Just hold a flush sight on the edge of the pigs butt and the elevation was where it needed to be at 100 meters.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

That's funny

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead

That's funny

It is comical, but I don't argue with people who think that way anymore.

I figure it is better to let them go on about their way, and I go about mine.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Oh, I and I realize you weren't arguing with oakie, and I'm not either.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Shrapnel Special.....57 .41 Mag...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...and an unfired one...

[Linked Image]

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Maybe I misread some sarcasm.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...an unfired pair of consecutively numbered 57s....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Pat85
The snubbies

[Linked Image]

Which NightGuard is that?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by deflave

Which NightGuard is that?

Travis

The one with the cast metal parts and Kwikset key lock in the side! LOL

Last edited by desertoakie; 01/02/16.

Ken
Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1337Fungi, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,321
Posts18,468,449
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.