Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This looks like a good rear bag with a silver 3M material that keeps it slick. Do you think this is better than plain leather?

Cheers,
Eric

http://protektormodel.com/index.php...p;zenid=bcb45db912a04ec370167c1d210333e8

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yes,
I've been using the 3M cloth for about 15 years. Before Protector brought it out on their bags I first had it in small patches with adhesive that I used. It was used on tennis shoes. I called 3M about it and I couldn't afford the minimum, but they sent me a 20'X4" roll to try out. The silver material is what fireman's firesuits are made of. Keep it clean and spray a little Armourall on it.

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks! I might give it a try. Do you think the 1" between the ears model is best for use with standard hunting rifles? I'm guessing 2" is for wide based bench rest stocks.

Eric

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I haven't used a rear bag with that material, but I did get a front bag from a different maker. One thing I noticed is that the warranty period is shorter than with the cordura version, indicating that the silver stuff is less durable.

It's good to keep in mind that the dynamics of a true benchrest rifle are different from those of a typical hunting rifle, so they perform differently off a benchrest. What works well for a benchrest rig won't necessarily be optimal with a hunting rifle. For example, a benchrest rifle in a typical chambering with a straight stock will recoil almost straight back sliding on the bags, but a typical big game rifle will bounce up off a hard packed front bag. Forearm checkering can also play havoc with accuracy off a rest. Simply placing a sheet of plastic under the forearm can work wonders with grouping.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Paul,
A BR rifle handles much the same with less recoil. A hard packed front bag is a no no on a BR rifle also. I also take issue with your opinion on the durability with the 3M cloth. I've stated that have used it for many years and I do have a couple 458 Lotts, a 416 Rigby, and a 450 Ackley Magnum. No, I do not have a 600 Overkill.
You may want to try it before voicing an opinion.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Butch, I'll defer to your experience at benchrest, but I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. Hunting rifles do bounce off a firm front rest. We would probably agree that it is the combined dynamics of the rifle and rest, with the shape of the respective stocks being a significant factor. Aren't benchrest stocks shaped the way they are for good reason?

As far as durability, what I said was based on the warranty info on the instruction sheet packed with my Edgewood front bag with the silver material. YMMV.

Paul

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Is Edgewood offering the 3M material now? My complaint with Edgewood only is their bags are real stiff or too firm. I don't like firm either.
Building one of my BR stocks.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This is a redwood-carbon fiber stock.

This next one is my black walnut-carbon fiber stock.
[Linked Image]

This is my Australian walnut 416 Rigby.
[Linked Image]
Paul, we probably agree more than we disagree.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 01/03/16.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
We likely agree. I learned through experience that benchrest technique doesn't necessarily translate directly to common hunting rifles. When I went to a softer front bag, things improved significantly. A free floated .338 in a McMillan stock bounced like a springboard, causing me to examine and think about what was happening. Recently I've been re-reading Warren Page's classic The Accurate Rifle. He has a fairly detailed chapter on shooting hunting rifles off the bench. I should check it out. Lately I've been messing with rimfire BR, and still learning. A whole new ball game.

Man, that Rigby stock is a work of art.

Paul

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Paul,
It is a 1917 Enfield.

[Linked Image]

The Rimfire BR game is tough. Get in touch with Dan Killough of Killough Shooting Sports. Dan is the rimfire guy and has one of the 3 Eley Test Sites in the World. I made arrangements with Dan to take West Virginia University's rifles and he shot them on his machines and matched the correct ammo to them. WVU is the reining NCAA and 17 time NCAA rifle champions. Dan is a great guy and the place to buy your match ammo or other BR rimfire products.

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What a gorgeous rifle!!!! Kudos to the photographer as well!

Fellas, I ended up buying the Protektor rear and front bags with the 3M material. It looks like a great feature.

Cheers,
Eric

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

688 members (1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 3,069 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,207
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.