Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm heading down to Pearsall, Tx for a combo hunt in a couple weeks. Pigs, doe and other varmints. Never hunted Texas and wondered what the terrain is like, how traveling on foot across country is( I like to walk around). Just some general info on what to expect. I'm hunting for 5 days on a 5k acre ranch with my father and 3 friends, hunting will be good whether we do a bunch of shooting or just end up shooting the $&$!.

God bless,

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
GB1

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Terrain is flat and the brush is thick unless you are hunting cleared farming areas. A 'stroll' may entail a noisy push through some pretty nasty thorny stuff that will scratch you up and make you bleed. Easiest play is to use the wind to your advantage and walk the ranch roads if you aren't into stand hunting. If it's warm, watch out for rattlesnakes as they are huge and omnipresent in that part of the world. Hogs, deer, javalena, and turkey are commonly seen.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks PB , that was pretty much what I was figuring with the sharp stuff but was hoping to hear otherwise. My contact at the ranch told me that the snakes were hibernating now, but I imagine if it warms up a bit that may change.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
There is a reason for blinds and vehicles with elevated blinds.

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You'll most likely be less successful if you opt to walk. My advice is to hunt from a blind.

Kelly
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with all that's been said. Ranch manager wants you to be successful, follow his advise. Snake boots are always a good idea, chaps if quail hunting is included. Enjoy your stay you will have a different idea of brush country hunting when you leave. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Forget walking.Too much thorny brush.It's a good idea to bring you a pair of leather gloves in case you do have to go into the brush looking for an animal.The brush is a wildlife buffet as well as cover,corn is usually fed to bring the animals out of the brush.Get in a blind and wait.There is no telling what you might see.You should see a lot of quail,deer,hogs,coyotes,maybe a bobcat or even a mountain lion.I'd sight your rifle for 200yds.Oh,I like a couple of 154qt ice chest full of ice.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Must be an MLD ranch since season is over today at sun down. powdr

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
General season runs to the middle of January. Then doe and spike till about the end of January. Quail till end of February. Hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm only hunting for a doe as far as deer got but that is not what I am gunning for because we have plenty of those up north. Thanks for the heads up on the hunting tactics, but I was wondering if anyone uses calls for coyotes or other varmints. I have a good app on my phone and a good wireless speaker that I wanted to give a try.

MM

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not unusual to see bob cats and coyotes. I keep a Burnaum bros. long range call with me. Hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most big ranches have strips of cleared land called senderos. Others have full pastures that are cleared. The rest is generally a combination of scrub brush and mesquite trees. Everything has thorns!

If you don't want to be stuck in a blind, I like the ol' drive around until you see something method. Hogs are a lot of fun to hunt spot and stalk.

As for calling coyotes, absolutely. I use an electronic call personally and it works fine. Same principles apply here in S Texas as anywhere else...wind, camo, sun, etc.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
How prevalent are the Javelinas? I'm sure it depends on the area but I wouldn't mind at least seeing some. Wondered the same about bobcats.

Mm

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Should be plenty of both in that part of Texas. I believe the bag limit on javelina is 2.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Forget walking.Too much thorny brush.It's a good idea to bring you a pair of leather gloves in case you do have to go into the brush looking for an animal.The brush is a wildlife buffet as well as cover,corn is usually fed to bring the animals out of the brush.Get in a blind and wait.There is no telling what you might see.You should see a lot of quail,deer,hogs,coyotes,maybe a bobcat or even a mountain lion.I'd sight your rifle for 200yds.Oh,I like a couple of 154qt ice chest full of ice.

Great advice, Baldhunter. You' ve obviously hunted down here smile

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
FWIW you can hunt on foot in S Texas, but you have to pick the right areas. I"ve done it lots and seen/shot the biggest deer on foot by far.

We hunt the javelina with a bow, and even though its grain the roads, the stalks are awlays inside the brush so it can be done.

But not a thing wrong with using blinds. For overall success, usually more boring, see lots more stuff when you sit still, and more productive.

Javelinas have fleas. I'm just warning you. More fleas than you can ever imagine.

RE snakes, it can get to 95 plus this time of the year, they can be out in that weather.....

Re sight ins.. 200 is smart, I prefer to dial with a rangefinder and always have down there.

Break em down on the spot for most folks. Most don't like trailing period. And down there it can be even more work though IMHO its easier to find blood with all the brush to rub on... and I have more fun following the trails in the thick stuff... but its why lots of folks shoot mags and light for caliber ballistic tips to try to shock them into falling and could care less about the meat damage.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks everyone for the input. I should have waited a week to start this thread, reading it just gets me more and more excited. Rost, fleas creep me out but I'll still whack a javelina if the opportunity presents itself. I usually vie for the mountains but this Texas hunt came up from a friend that just moved back there to manage his dad's ranch so I'm not quite dumb enough to let the opportunity pass.

MM

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
if there are a lot of hogs you won't see javilenas.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
True on hogs, most places used to not have that many hogs, but thats a very true statement.

I recall when we were lucky enough to bowhunt the Callahan when you could afford it javelinas were all over. Then pigs showed up... and slowly we saw more pigs, less javelina.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
Thanks everyone for the input. I should have waited a week to start this thread, reading it just gets me more and more excited. Rost, fleas creep me out but I'll still whack a javelina if the opportunity presents itself. I usually vie for the mountains but this Texas hunt came up from a friend that just moved back there to manage his dad's ranch so I'm not quite dumb enough to let the opportunity pass.

MM

I clean javelina if i have to, with very little on... and on a feed bag, well away from anything I dont wnat infested... often I do it out in the field with them.... at least I can see/feel the fleas on me....

I"ve picked off over 100 at times after a cleaning when we used to rip into them with no regard.... you pick imaginary ones for weeks after that...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,661
Posts18,455,712
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.