Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
How prevalent are the Javelinas? I'm sure it depends on the area but I wouldn't mind at least seeing some. Wondered the same about bobcats.

Mm

If you simply must kill a filthy, smelly javelina, shoot the small ones. The big ones smell like chit and taste even worse.

Kelly
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by KMS

If you simply must kill a filthy, smelly javelina, shoot the small ones. The big ones smell like chit and taste even worse.

[Linked Image]

Ya, but the big-uns' make for great wall ornaments.

[Linked Image]

JAPPFT,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stxhunter

I can smell it from here.

Kelly
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've hunted the Callaghan in south tx twice. We killed javelina and hogs both times. I made breakfast sausage out of the javelina and it was tasty. We bow hunted, so spot and stalk was a big part of the game. Hogs by moonlight with the bow by sneaking down the senderos was a hoot. We found lots of arrowheads, great way to spend mid day. We never saw a snake. The terrain is thick, and everything has thorns. I picked them out of me for the better part of a year.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jmillo
I've hunted the Callaghan in south tx twice. We killed javelina and hogs both times. I made breakfast sausage out of the javelina and it was tasty. We bow hunted, so spot and stalk was a big part of the game. Hogs by moonlight with the bow by sneaking down the senderos was a hoot. We found lots of arrowheads, great way to spend mid day. We never saw a snake. The terrain is thick, and everything has thorns. I picked them out of me for the better part of a year.

I've done a lot of brush work on the Callaghan. Wildlife mgrs are friends of mine. Knew Mr. Finley and been to dinner several times wife his wife and daughters. JD boys built me a runway once when I needed a landing strip for a duster coming in from Uvalde. Great place.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If you go for Javelina bring a spray bottle of alcohol for the fleas. If you get it saturated and let it hang most will die or jump off. Or better yet get someone else to skin it.

Bring your shotgun as this is a banner Quail year and that's a good area, especially if they have some open pastures.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KMS
How prevalent are the Javelinas? I'm sure it depends on the area but I wouldn't mind at least seeing some. Wondered the same about bobcats.

Mm

And the little ones ain't far behind.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
GW nice bavarian carbine. I've got one in a swede. It's itching to get back to Refugio to whack some deer and hogs.

If you take your predator call make sure to bring a decoy or two. Oh, and bring a 22 pistol, last time I was in that area the way it's were thick. Have fun.

Joseph
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just a quick update, Texas was awesome and was much better than I expected. Saw lots of game everyday, almost got everything the outfitter offered but I missed my opportunity on the bobcat. Also hunting pigs at night by moonlight is a thing of beauty, man those things move fast when the lights go on. Will definitely be going back. Pictures to follow.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Glad to hear you had a good hunt, MM! You need to post some details and especially pics.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What outfit did you hunt with?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Glad you had a good hunt with plenty of memories made! Looking forward for the photos!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe

Hunted with south Texas brush county hunts. I've known the owner for a while and he did not disappoint . The cooking was as good as the hunting too.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This site takes forever to type on for some reason so I am not going to give a play by play but I personally got 5 pigs(4 night hunting) one javelina, 2 doe( but lost one in the brush) a coyote and missed the bobcat which was probably good since I was shooting a 308. We had clear skies and lots of moon so the night hunting was my favorite part, I was using my AR and it took awhile but I learned how to lead them when they started running. I was usually the follow up shooter after we snuck up on them. I could not believe how close you could get if the wind was right. But when they start running those pigs were much faster than I ever expected. I also couldn't believe the damage they do to oat fields, like a bunch of kids digging holes I the yard. And lastly javelina do stink, and the old boar I shot was the worst of the bunch, yet to try them on the dinner table.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here are 3 of the 5 pigs, didn't get pics of the other two. My buddy shot one of the 4 that night.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by mitchellmountain; 01/23/16.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here is my first and only coyote I have ever shot. Took a couple of misses, he was moving quick but he gave me ample opportunities while running up the sendero.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ingwe

Hunted with south Texas brush county hunts. I've known the owner for a while and he did not disappoint . The cooking was as good as the hunting too.

Do they have a website? Couldn't find them.....

Thanks!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,609
Posts18,454,873
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.