Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
fremont Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have the 3-leaf on my Rem 798 375 H&H. I'm trying to start thinking about which bullet & application I'd use those sights for. Although I'm not currently thinking of a dangerous game hunt (I'm researching a plains game trip), it seems like I'd want to keep that as an option with those sights. So, if I had to settle on a certain bullet and load, I was thinking of something like the 300 Partition (or solid?).

Any advice? Also, what are the distances you'd set for those four blades (3 + standard fixed blade)?

Murphy was a grunt.
BP-B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
What do you really plan to hunt? My guess is it will be scoped at least 90% of the time. For the 10% my guess is shots will be, at most, to 150 yards and likely less. Assuming this is close to correct and a 300 gr bullet, I would dial the fixed blade for 50 yards and forget about the remaining blades.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would have one bang on at 25 yards so I could pick which eye or nostril, next one at 50, last at 100. These are for the serious shooting, the scope is playtime.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
One, two and three hundred yards. That's pretty much what most Brits set their sights at. There isn't much point in setting it in 50 yard increments starting at fifty yards, each leaf would be almost the same height.

On something large and close what difference would it make if you hit one inch high or low? The animal wouldn't care. Yes three hundred is a long way for a big bore but if you had only open sights to use it would be comforting to be able to just point and shoot. But only if the animal was already wounded and escaping of course.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.
Will Rogers
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I would take a somewhat different approach in order to get a blend of speed and precision. First, I would cut the fixed blade very wide and open, regulated for about 30 yards. That would be my fast/up close sight that would be ready in an instant. It would look something like this sight, on a well-used .458 Win that was the every day carry gun for a Zimbabwean PH who specialized in buffalo and tuskless elephant. A sight like this facilitates shotgun-like snap shooting, and will still be useful in really dim light.

[Linked Image]

Then I would cut the first blade with a very fine notch, regulated for not much further--maybe 50 yards. Sometimes you need to thread a bullet through the mopane and only have a tiny window, or maybe you see a dandy tiny antelope, like a duiker or a klipspringer and have to hit a target the size of the palm of your hand. So the first folding blade gives you the lateral precision to make such a shot.

This lousy photo shows how I cut the sights for my 9.3x62. You can (barely) see the lighter colored outline of the fixed blade and its wide V-shape. But then there is the first folding blade with tighter square notch, but having the much the same height, is regulated for the same distance.

[Linked Image]

Some people think about regulating multi-leaf sights only in terms of distance. There can be more to it than that.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,728 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.