24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I’m looking at a new elk area. It has a gated road/trail that bisects the area for 15 miles (15.3 according to my topo program). No motorized vehicles are allowed on it – horse, foot, non-motorized only. Backpacking/hiking is always an option. I’m really interested in several areas in the ‘middle’ which are about 5-9 miles in. In talking with the Game and Fish folks, they indicate not many people venture back in the road/trail – most either hunt the wilderness areas above it or do the day hike thing. I’m sure I’m not the only one with the idea – but the distances should help weed people out. Supposedly no outfitters use the road/trail because of the nearby wilderness area.

The logistic issue isn’t getting in there, it’s getting a critter out. Before I pull the trigger, I need to have the pack out thought through. Carrying an elk on my back for 5-8 miles ain’t gonna happen. The G&F folks suggested a bicycle with a baby carrier. The road is quite flat and follows the contour of the land except in 2 places where a short pack/bike push will be in order. Significant snow screws everything up but I have a backup area in the neighborhood without this logistic issue in the event weather becomes an issue. A game cart might work but I’ve never tried hauling/pushing/dragging a game cart. I did bring out a deer in a wheelbarrow one time for 1.5 miles in a similar situation. It worked well.

A. Anyone ever used a bike with any type of carrier or game cart?
B. Have any other ideas?

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Here in MN bringing game out whole is part of the deal. In my area we have a lot of similar gated trails and a game cart works great there, but you won't be using it off trail in any significant capacity. Find a place to stash it in the underbrush when you depart the trail.

A few pointers - You may want to figure a way to extend the handles a bit so you can stand upright when you're wheeling your way home. Seems most carts are built by Chinamen, for Chinamen. Load the cart so it is front heavy, i.e. you have to lift upward on handle. Back heavy or even balanced is no good. Finally, bring plenty of straps/twine/rope... dead meat has a tendency to really want to shift around and you don't want to be constantly stopping to adjust it.

I have some doubts that the trail you're looking at is anywhere near as flat as the ones back here, and you may find packing is the better choice. At that point your cart just becomes dead weight.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If there's snow, how about a toboggan?

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
We have used mountain bikes and bike trilers in road closure area's since the 90's. About the farthest we pack in is seven miles as the crow flies-more like nine as the bike rolls.

We mostly use center pull trailers that bolt to the seat stem like Blue Sky's and the old Huffy Ride and Runs. One of the guys attached a hitch stem to a Cabela's Magnum game cart and used Blue Sky parts at the attachment point on the bike. It works well and may be the cheapest way to go.

The bike trailers that attach at the axle work on the roads but snag in the brush and are hard to use as carts.

We use the bikes alone to wheel game out to a bigger trail if the game is in a place where trails are narrow/brushy.

Gary

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Is there anyone in the area that might pack it out for you? Maybe you could line them up for the pack out. If the price is right, maybe a pack in, also?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
cast-DB - a couple of good ideas you've thrown out. If I could 5-6 miles, I'd make a camp, then hike/hunt the rest of the way. I have an older mountain bike that I used to ride alot.

According to my G&F contact, he's been on the entire length of the road/trail with a mountain bike and thinks the mountain bike idea is the way to go.

How much weight can you comfortably handle on one of the bike carriers? I've been de-boning the last couple elk. 75lbs/load would mean 2 trips give or take a few pounds.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've used a toboggan to slide my butt down steep hills when I was younger. It might work but my concern would be downhill - gravity, weight, and momentum are not your friends with a toboggan.

Thanks for the idea.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
Is there anyone in the area that might pack it out for you? Maybe you could line them up for the pack out. If the price is right, maybe a pack in, also?

I'm looking into this as well. So far no names but there ar several ranchers in the area. I pay a guy $200 where I hunt in Colorado to use his horse and panniers. Its the best $200 ever spent.......

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Check out tag and drag. They normally work the elk refuge but they might come up to Spread Creek.

http://tagndrag.com/

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The moose head ranch is close by as is triangle X. I don't know if they could or would help out with the packing but you might look them up and give 'em a call.
If you're going up to the top of Togwotee, Brooks Lake Lodge might be able to help you, but they outfit hunters as well and might be busy.

Last edited by Snake River Marksman; 12/31/15.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So my hunting partner picked up a game cart and left it in camp this year. I used it to haul my cow elk part way out this year. Like the earlier post noted, the handles were too short. I used it on an old fire road, mostly downhill. Every rut, limb or rock sent it askew and the uphills, though slight in grade and distance were not fun. I have packed elk out of a canyon, backpacked extensively, including into and out of the Grand Canyon in the summer. Also di a few backcountry trips in northern Ontario packing camp and conoes. One trip had a 5 mile portage, we tried using real nice carts designed for canoes on the old logging road, same issues and we'd wished we had left them behind. Next go around, I will leave the cart home and haul my elk out on my back. When I get old (58 now) I may have to resort to owning a horse or two. Your mileage may vary.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
B,

I haven't used one, but Mule Deer and others here have mentioned the Neet (or is it Neat) Cart. Google it up. Well made for sure, but not cheap.

Might be worth a look.

Ok, here's the website. http://www.neetkart.com

Last edited by Akbob5; 12/31/15.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bwinters
cast-DB - a couple of good ideas you've thrown out. If I could 5-6 miles, I'd make a camp, then hike/hunt the rest of the way. I have an older mountain bike that I used to ride alot.

According to my G&F contact, he's been on the entire length of the road/trail with a mountain bike and thinks the mountain bike idea is the way to go.

How much weight can you comfortably handle on one of the bike carriers? I've been de-boning the last couple elk. 75lbs/load would mean 2 trips give or take a few pounds.

The bike carts will all carry over 100 lbs. The Blue Skys easily handle 150 lbs. That said, stopping them can be a problem if it is hilly. Our favorite area has a 1,000ft elevation change [up 350' down 650'+_ fron our trailhead.

The game cart will haul 300 lbs if you can manage it.

We hauled out a 3x4 and a 5x5 in two trips wth three carts the last time FWIW.

PM me your e-mail if you like and I will send you a pic of my Blue Sky hooked up to a buddy's bike [He blew a tube as I recall so he was using mine.

One extra benefit is the tongues make dandy handles as most gme carts are too low.

One other thing, get a trailer with the largest diameter tires you can find. It makes a big difference on rough roads though it does raise the center of gravity a bit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS

^^^ This is worth the cheddar ^^^ Keeps us healthy for the next hunt and out of the Chiropractor's office..

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

I'd go the bicycle route.

[Linked Image]

but not like this
[Linked Image]

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've tried all kinds of carts including a wheelbarrow. Most work fine on downhill but are horrible uphill even on very slight inclines. Flat land isn't a lot better. They get very tiring very fast. If it gets even remotely steep downhill, a 2d person on a drag rope is a huge asset.
Around here, 2 wheeled carts are useless because of narrow trails, rocks, and slopes. I've never used a bike to pack game but a lot of guys seem to do it.
I once packed a small elk out 4 miles in a wheelbarrow on an old logging road. It was mostly downhill but the few uphills were real killers. I tied ropes to the frame to make hand loops to hold it back on the downhills. That saves the hands. Just keep the loops big enough so you can let go if it gets away from you. The hardest part of a wheelbarrow is keeping the load over the wheel. It's top heavy.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Find an outfitter or a private guy to pack your elk out with horses.it won't cost much more than a cart, and you will live to hunt again. Thank me later.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you can shoulder press 80% of your body weight, do five dead hand pullups, deadlift your body weight 10 times, and run a mile in 8min or less, all in the same afternoon, I'd consider the bike/cart or similar. If not, I'd forget the whole idea. No elk is worth crippling yourself.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Says a guy who's never packed an elk in his life. Which is just a roundabout way of saying "bullsh**."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluemonday
If you can shoulder press 80% of your body weight, do five dead hand pullups, deadlift your body weight 10 times, and run a mile in 8min or less, all in the same afternoon, I'd consider the bike/cart or similar. If not, I'd forget the whole idea. No elk is worth crippling yourself.

I think this is a bit of an exaggeration. I've packed elk on my back several times - and it sucks. If there is any way not to, I don't want to. I'm considering a mountain bike w cart and a game cart. I'm leaning game cart with a harness to pull and a driver.

I really want to get back this road 5-6 miles. There is some smoking good looking areas 1/2 mile or so above the road. It looks ideal - black timber over the top, green meadows butting up to the ridge top and black timber. Looks to me like elk can bed on north side in timber, pop over the top and feed in the small meadows close to timber and safety. I've killed 2 bulls in that exact same situation. The road also allows me to be more mobile and cover more ground.

BTW: I can do all those things you mention plus a bit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
764 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 86 invisible), 2,930 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,075
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.