Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 70 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 69 70
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Moose, in the elk rifle debate, one must keep in mind as with moose hunting.. We must think about Killing the game where it can be gotten out..Burns has mules for the job, and is willing to keep them year around for the hunting he does.. That is fine.. Most folks don't do that..

I gather you are a younger man, with lots of vim and vigor.. So you would probably shoot elk where I would pass.. But also a well hit elk can travel from a good retrieve to a hole in a death run..

Something to keep in mind.. I am sure I could kill an elk with a .222, but it might go a long way before I found it. Bob Hagel felt the core of the good elk rifles stated with the 7's and went through the .33's.. He like magnums for elk hunting.. He is someone I paid much attention to because he was like most hunters.. He hunted on his own, and in country that offered both still hunting though timber and open long range shooting.. He would say, as I would, 600 yards is long range.. He was a promoter of the the Mashburn 7mm and Nosler Partition bullets..
When hunting in the timber, or brush, one might have to drive a bullet though an elk at a bad angle.. Something to be considered.. It is easy to say, sitting in a warm room to I wouldn't take less than a perfect shot.. After 10 days of hard hunting most people will attempt a less than perfect shot..
To me, that is where I pick a rifle and bullet that will do the job under less than perfect conditions..

Molon Labe
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good points Wyo. But I'm "fortysomething" so I don't qualify anymore for being full of "vim and vigor". smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Moosemike, I concur with WCH. Cartridges from .22 to the .416's will kill elk but when you start considering the panapoly of limitations with cartridges toward each end of the spectrum, you start moving toward the middle (the old Bell Curve again) and it's there you begin slicing more thinly based on your own experiences, capabilities, and that of those whom you read about.

It's probably as much a mistake in going too big as it is in going too small. There's a point of convergence where your ability, preferences in platform, and cartridge size all meet and it does, within reason, vary widely from person to person.

At the end of the line, they are gloriously big, vigorous animals, that cling to life with a vengeance and deserve a humane, quick end.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
" After 10 days of hard hunting most people will attempt a less than perfect shot.."

And there is the problem. Hunters get the idea that the magnums will make up for a less than perfect shot and take those shots because of it. Knowing full well they should put the safety back on. I'm not talking about when an animal might move at the last minute when he trigger is tripped,but when the hunter knows full well the shot is questionable.

It is the same as those hunters that pay $2000-$3000 in expenses and a hefty fee for the tag that go ahead and take a questionable shot because for that kind of money,they can't go home and eat tag soup.

"has mules for the job, and is willing to keep them year around for the hunting he does.. That is fine.. Most folks don't do that.."

There are a lot more hunters that do,than people imagine.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by moosemike
Good points Wyo. But I'm "fortysomething" so I don't qualify anymore for being full of "vim and vigor". smile

You're selling yourself short there, moose. 60 is the new 40.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heck, then I'm just a whippersnapper. I like it!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
Heck, then I'm just a whippersnapper. I like it!

Yup, still a youngster, hardly older than my oldest. I turn 65 in March and have gotten my last three elk (2012, 2013 and 2015) out by myself except for the last 75 yards this year, where I had help dragging the game cart. Never let someone tell you it is easy.

Shoot them close to and uphill from your truck and save yourself a lot of work. smile

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I am not talking about a poor shot, but an angle shot.. Hagel knew with good bullets you can drive a heavy slug through a lot of elk..

I never have taken a shot like that but in shooting 11 head of African game with my 300 and 200 gr. Noslers, I found one bullet.. It was from a wildabeast hit in the front left shoulder and the bullet was found in the hip on the right side.. Otherwise everything was a complete pass though..

I realize some folks due keep animals for hunting.. But here in town I suppose I could easily find 50 elk hunters and I doubt three would have animals for the purpose of elk hunting..

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I will be 69 in June.. My last elk, I had a good friend hunting with me and honestly he did most of the heavy work.. Otherwise, I suppose the last 10 elk I have gotten out by myself.. Makes one aware of the country he is hunting in, and also makes me want a weapon that does the job and quickly.. I can kill and elk with the .222, but I certainly wouldn't want to depend on it for general elk hunting..

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
In my experience the advantage of the .300 Weatherby (or any .300 magnum) is the ability to use deep-penetrating bullets like the 200-grain Partition at pretty good velocity. This makes it a good choice for hunting in timber at close range, where the shot might be at an extreme angle or through the heavy shoulder joint, and yet have enough reach for "conventional" longer shots across a park or clear-cut. In other words, they're good cartridges for all-around elk hunting, not specialized tools.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yup..exactly

LC

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Wish I were 69 again.73 this year.I took care of and packed own elk past season

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
In my experience the advantage of the .300 Weatherby (or any .300 magnum) is the ability to use deep-penetrating bullets like the 200-grain Partition at pretty good velocity. This makes it a good choice for hunting in timber at close range, where the shot might be at an extreme angle or through the heavy shoulder joint, and yet have enough reach for "conventional" longer shots across a park or clear-cut. In other words, they're good cartridges for all-around elk hunting, not specialized tools.

Bingo. Perfect IMHO. wink

Usual Mule Deer explanation.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As usual, JB nailed it....

That's the exact reason I shoot the 200 accubond out of my 300 ultra mag....

Tony

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Actually that point had been made several times throughout the unnecessarily long thread. John with credibility and good writing has made it more clear to those that just didn't get it...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Actually that point had been made several times throughout the unnecessarily long thread. John with credibility and good writing has made it more clear to those that just didn't get it...

If you actually used them,instead of reading about it, it's simple to understand.

Nothing like seeing first hand.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

JB,

We all seem to agree that south end shots on north bound unwounded bulls is a bad plan.

Why would anyone need "deep-penetrating" any more in the timber than in the open?

If a rifle/cartridge works fine at 50yds in the open then what makes it unsuitable when there are trees around?

As I target the shoulder on most any shot and have never had a lick of problems smashing through it I still fail to see how a .300 Bee is going to kill a dead bull any more deader?

How many times in your entire hunting experience have you ever seen a bullet fail to penetrate the shoulder of a bull?

How many bulls have you killed with the .300 Bee that would have escaped wounded had you been shooting something with less penetration?

For every bull that gets away from a lack of "penetration" I would bet literally 1000 escape wounded from shot placement.

Bulls hit right die quick. Bulls hit wrong run far.

Shot placement counts for much more than penetration.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

For Pete's sake, give it a rest!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We could argue about the belt on the case. Just for a change of pace I mean. whistle

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel

For Pete's sake, give it a rest!

But I am hardly tired. laugh

Love the sig line. blush

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 17 of 70 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 69 70

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

288 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 29aholic, 43 invisible), 1,620 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,438
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.