Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I was reading your response to the half-cock (safety or lack thereof) and my question is: How do you carry your lever rifles when hunting empty chamber or loaded chamber and hammer on half-cock? Second question is: what is the acual purpose of the half-cock feature on a lever action?

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I carry my lever action rifles at half cock and empty chamber. I have killed plenty of big game with these rifles and never felt I was unprepared that way. I never "didn't" get a shot because of an empty chamber either.

Half cock does allow a round to be in the chamber without the obvious hazard of cocked or the hammer down on the firing pin. Make no mistake about it, half cock is not a safety...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thank you for the explanation.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I carry my lever action rifles at half cock and empty chamber. I have killed plenty of big game with these rifles and never felt I was unprepared that way. I never "didn't" get a shot because of an empty chamber either.

That's how I've done it for as long as I can remember as well. In fact, that's how I run any rifle, except that most rifles don't have the same uncocked position for their strikers. I much prefer, when I am traipsing through the alders, to carry a levergun chamber loaded at half-cock, than to carry a bolt gun 'cocked and locked' on a loaded chamber. I do not trust any mechanical 'safety mechanism' on any gun. The good reason behind that was recently reinforced by the loss that a local woman recently incurred: http://www.adn.com/article/20160103/vibrant-flame-snuffed-too-soon

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Half cock does allow a round to be in the chamber without the obvious hazard of cocked or the hammer down on the firing pin. Make no mistake about it, half cock is not a safety...

Are you saying for all LVR actions including Marlin with the 2 piece firing pin???

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,308
Posts18,468,178
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.