Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Took a couple days off over the boys' holiday break. Decided Hank needed to get out of surburbia for a bit, so him and my oldest headed down to our cabin in So. IN. Was hoping to get a few squirrels shot, but the weather and Rocky didn't cooperate, but we did have a good time and popped a lot of primers.

After 3 hours in the truck, both the boy and his dog were ready to stretch their legs!

[Linked Image]

A quick change of clothes and they went to check out the creek bottom across the field and to be out of dad's hair while he unpacked.
[Linked Image]

The next day while the boy was hanging with his cousin, I decided to take Hank for a long walk up through the woods. He quite enjoyed himself! Lots of new smells, sticks to carry, and deer poop to eat... eek
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Unfortunately we didn't get any close encounters with game, but he did find out water was fun! The 1.5 hour walk, not really that far we just took our time, had him all tuckered. He did range farther than he has at home, but always kept me in sight. I purposefully did not call him to me, just made sure he saw me and headed where I wanted to go. He kept me in sight and I was glad to see he did not shy away from any situation and seemed to enjoy bowling through the tall grass and briars!

Like both my kids, "school" start this week...

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Great looking PP, pointer! Sure going to be fun watching him mature. Keep the pics coming!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There sure are allot of new pups showing up around here.....

Sure beats the "Lost My Old Friend" threads that one dreads to open....

Thanks for taking us along although I'm more than a little jealous....I'd have a new pup every year if I could...

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
You are so right Field!!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pointer

Every young boy (and his Dad) should have a good looking smart pooch like that to bond with. Sounds like you guys are off to a great start. Me thinks Hank won the doggie lottery!

Paul

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
IC B2

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys. It's been a fast two weeks that's for sure. He's smart, I'll give him that. And much "softer" than the last dog I had. Something I have to watch when correcting him.

FWIW, the boys both have their own iPads and are allowed to make the background most anything they wish (that momma and I approve). I was tickled last night to find that both have changed them recently to be pics of themselves with Hank!

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
An update. The house messes are fewer and farther between, but not gone completely. Mostly if we don't see him at the door or if he gets too excited. All told, I'm pretty pleased with Hank's progress there.

This past week we started a couple new conditioning items. Starting to work on WHOA a bit. Mostly just going in and out of doors/kennel and while on walks. I have been periodically banging pots together, from a distance, when he eats. This week we moved up to a to cap gun! The boys think that is fun. The first couple of times he tucked his tail and looked at me, but now he just looks and then keeps on slopping food down. Yesterday, I tried it close to him while he was eating. No flinch! I plan to keep it up, but think we are well on to not, hopefully, being gun shy! Last new thing is some start to tracking. I drag a piece of hot dog across the driveway/garage floor with him not around and then bring him to the track. He smells the dog, but looks to me for it when I give him the command. He's used to getting food from us instead of following his nose. So far he's always found it, but I hope he gets better at using his nose/searching for it instead of looking to me for it. We'll keep after it, but any and all suggestions on starting tracking drills is greatly appreciated.

Though it was jumping the gun a bit, we've for awhile now been tossing toys for him to fetch. The last couple weeks he's turned the corner with this! He's always brought them back towards us, but wanted to play keep away or tug of war once he got back. Lately, he comes back closer and with a bit of petting and the GIVE command he's giving up the toy. Might take a couple of repeats, but he's giving up the toy pretty easily now. This was mostly done in the house as play and exercise, but we took the show outside this week. With more room to get away, the first time he tried to keep away, but a bit of ignoring him and in came when called. After that, he did great, bringing it to me and giving on command. Very pleased with this and will be getting some bumpers and bird scent to make it a bit more formal soon! One thing we need to work on is him coming straight to me instead of circling me with the toy to show off.

Though I have no real frame of reference, I think things are progressing quite well even though PPs are known as a bit of slow developers. He's fitting in great with the family and has everyone's heart at this point.

Like any athlete, a good stretch after a workout is needed!
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
smile

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Neat doggie. You'll get tons of advice from everyone. You didn't ask....but....keep up those trips to the woods as often as you can. Local or whatever you can do to get those smells and experiences imprinted on him. If the training hits a wall because you're uncertain how to progress.....just get him out. Other dogs. Other kids. And as many smells as possible. He will figure things out. And even without much training other than OB...he should produce game for you, even at this age.

Bests

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks JJ! That's the plan. Trying my best to get him as much varied a experience as possible. He's a quite a good dog and a fast learner.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Good times. Enjoy!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pointer
Thanks JJ! That's the plan. Trying my best to get him as much varied a experience as possible. He's a quite a good dog and a fast learner.

You're doing all of it just right IMO. Keep it up, and he'll amaze even you. cool cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Not much new, but he's getting leggy and longer haired! Good looking dog if I do say so... laugh
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So, Hank and I got a bit of "work" in this weekend. Bought him a couple of bumpers so he's using something other than a toy when we are "working". Thanks for the suggestion of fitting one with some wings. First time toss he wasn't quite sure what to do with that. He ended up picking it up by the non- wing covered part! laugh He doesn't seem to mind now.

So yesterday, we got a few free hours so I took him and my 5yo over to a fish and game area for a walk around and to toss some bumpers. Going by myself would have probably been better from a training standpoint, but I couldn't say no and I'm tickled I didn't!

For the most part it was a new place for Hank and I wanted him to get into the grass, weeds, brush, etc and just have fun. Every so often I tossed a bumper for him. I did not have the newly purchased check cord on him and he did find and bring nearly all of them back to me...or at least close to me. We are far from retrieving to hand, but I did have to go after him a time or two to get the bumper from him. I think using the check cord on some short throws and getting more diligent with obedience work we can get over that low hurdle. Here's a not so good cell phone video of him retrieving a toss down off the pond's levee.
Hanks Video

A couple of times I tossed the bumper out of his sight or line of sight. He would go looking for it and it was cool to see him turn into the wind to try to scent it (used quail sent). Couple of times it took some coaxing to get him to head in the correct direction, but he did find them! I could tell when he was smelling something by his body language and intensity. I wouldn't call it "birdy" just yet as I'm not sure it was birds or poop or rabbits he was excited to smell. wink But, I can't wait until I know and can call it that!

All in all it was a good day outside with a 5yo boy and a 5mo old pup. We brought home a 1/2 box of empty shotgun hulls that my son found. I think he liked finding those more than Easter eggs! Hope to have many more in the near future.

Since this is supposed to be a running post about my dog training here's my next week's to do list.
1. Keep tossing bumpers with wings
2. Keep reinforcing commands is pretty much knows (Come, Give, Kennel)
3. More work on getting Stay, Whoa, and start on Heel.
4. Work on my tone of voice and body language. I can be bit too much when correcting him.

Now for some pics from the day!
Super K and Hank at the start of the "hike" as K called it.
[Linked Image]
Super K figuring out how to navigate a wet spot.
[Linked Image]
Hank doing what dogs do...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hank's carrying a stick and so will I! Gotta build those muscles for his last two wrestling tournaments. wink
[Linked Image]

Last edited by pointer; 03/07/16.
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hank after his Mom required bath once we got home. Baths make him fluffy!!
[Linked Image]

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to beat a thread with pictures of puppies and kids! smile

John

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Looks like your doing a fine job with Hank. He'll teach you alot before he's done!

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fourtrax
Looks like your doing a fine job with Hank. He'll teach you alot before he's done!
He's doing that quite often!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by pointer

[Linked Image]

Handsome boy!

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The weather was nice last night, so after an early, quick dinner the boys, Hank, and I headed out for some 'field' time for the pup. Granted, he had been kenneled most of the day, but once we hit the field...VVVRRRROOOOOOOOOOOMMMM! He's starting to get his legs under him! Not sure if he was doing anything but burning off energy and crashing through the NWSG. A bit later, I was all but positive I heard a bobwhite calling. So we worked our way over to that fence row. Not positive, but I thought I saw a few flush and when Hank got to there he was extremely interested in something... I need to get some birds planted for him so I can see if he realizes what they are.

A bit later on Hank used to nose to help find a mostly not stinky deer skeleton! The boys thought it was cool and the youngest couldn't wait to get home put the "dinosaur" back together! However, they did let dad carry the stinking mess out. laugh
[Linked Image]

The main purpose of this trip was to get Hank around some water. While on the walk he had no problem splashing through shallow water and retrieved bumpers into water to his belly. Once we made it back to the truck we took him down to the boat ramp to see what he thought of bigger water. Course, the boys couldn't let him have all the fun!
[Linked Image]

He entered the water up to belly high on his own. We tossed a few sticks for him that he'd go get, but none far enough where he'd have to swim. Once I let the boys get totally soaked, I figured I'd give him longer tosses as the oldest could swim after the bumper if Hank didn't. Hank didn't mind getting it at all!! laugh

Click to see the video's
Hank Video #1

Hank Video #2

All it all it was a fun, short evening. I am more than happy with Hank's progression. Now to find more time and some birds for him...

Last edited by pointer; 04/15/16.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

623 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 77 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,311
Posts18,449,194
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.