Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I have the skull cap of a nice 10 pointer my son shot last year. It's not a huge rack but about as symmetrical as they get so I'd like to dress it up a little and put it on a wall plaque for him. I'd like to do something different than the plain skull or leather covering that you usually see.

Somewhere I saw one with a camo covering that I thought looked really cool but I'm not sure how it was applied or if there is a kit for that.

Has anyone done something like that or know of a source for the camo kit? How about other materials? Skullhooker has some kind of a cap that looks kind of neat on their website also. Any ideas or help on this is appreciated.

Happy New Year!
Bill

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
A simple way to display them that I use is to make a sawdust/wood glue mix that I shape around the skull cap and let dry, then cover with felt. Could easily be done with any camo material. Once it is dry it is easy to then be able to use screws to attach to an oak or walnut plaque.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I just finished our son's buck from this year and have it drying right now.
[Linked Image]

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Those look great! Do you use glue to attach the felt on the skull form?

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
No glue needed on the felt. (I don't want to risk having the glue show through the felt.) When it dries the surface is somewhat rough, so when you stretch the felt it holds in place pretty well and then I use pliers to simply push 1/2" brad nails into the back to secure the felt.

I make the sawdust/glue mixture pretty thick to get it to stick together, then work to shape it as needed as it dries. Really a pretty simple way to give the antlers a nice look. A little something we like to add is a picture to go with the antlers and add to the memories from the hunt.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Proud_Dad; 01/01/16.

B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks for the info and pics! I think I’m going to give that a try. Hoping one of the local fabric stores has some suitable material.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
just use a camo t-shirt

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by srwshooter
just use a camo t-shirt

+1 - Yes, anything like that will work great!

You're welcome, Bill. Look forward to seeing a picture when you get it done!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did not do anything in camo, but I use the same sawdust/glue procedure as ProudDad. Rather than cover in cloth I use buckskin. Here are some examples.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sometimes I add something to the plaque...the cartridge case.

[Linked Image]

or key holder.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If I don't do skull mounts next year, I going to do what you all did with the sawdust and glue. I never thought or heard of that before. Looks pretty damn good to me, brilliant idea.

B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I was thinking of micro suede. Something like that if I can find it.

Here's a skull cap mount my buddies Dad made for me of the first branch antlered buck I shot behind his house in Maine back in '86. Similar idea but I want to make his a little different.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Bill_N; 01/01/16.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Have you tried flocking? It is used by taxidermist and sold by their supply shops. You add glue to your form and pour flocking over it. When it dries it looks very nice. Flocking is like a powdered felt.

Last edited by troutfisher13111; 01/02/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Bill N, if you did not save the skull for a euro mount, get the skull kit that uses a reproduction skull.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Mountain-Mikes-European-Deer-Skull-Mounting-Kit/742255.uts

I would then purchase a plaque from walnut creek hardwood to mount it on.

Your son will have a mount you will both be proud of. It will be much nicer than a skull cap mount.

http://www.walnutcreekhardwood.com/shop/products.cfm?catid=244

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I saw the camo deer skull kits. They look nice but I was thinking of going the DIY to kind of personalize it. I cleaned it up yesterday. If I can’t do it justice with a camo cover I may go that route in the end. Thanks for the link to the plaques.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have used socks to cover the skull caps sense they are real stretchy.

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
What's the best way to get hide and meat off

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Irving_D

Boil, or actually keep the water temp to just below boil

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

A few minutes work with a good knife if the hide hasn't dried, it's a bear to remove once it gets hard....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
My son didn’t skin this one. I soaked it in a basin overnight cut it down the middle between the horns and peeled the hide back with a pair of vise grips using a blade underneath. Took about 20 minutes. Then I let it simmer for about an hour and a half and wire brushed the gristle off.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Those look really nice. I have one in the freezer that I'm going to try that on after season.

Bob.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Poconojack

A few minutes work with a good knife if the hide hasn't dried, it's a bear to remove once it gets hard....

+1 - Yes, the sooner this is done the easier it is. Pulling with pliers and cutting underneath with a sharp knife it doesn't take long at all.

Last edited by Proud_Dad; 01/04/16.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1OntarioJim, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 73 invisible), 3,003 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.