Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Google it, could be interesting if the reviews pan out.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Video of Jim Shockey using it on a buffalo

https://youtu.be/dwqMkjYjmtw

Last edited by scotts94_z28; 01/05/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not bowhunting, but definitely interesting.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Not even remotely bow hunting

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I could definitely see one of those for hunting in more "populated" areas.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
450 FPS but unfortunately they did not mention the arrow weight?

If it's a 400 Plus grain arrow, that's impressive! They look rather short, like 20" or so, that should really reduce flex so with a heavier arrow that thing would be astonishingly powerful!

I see this as a real option for folks in areas with 5 acre lots or urban developments with bigger then " back yards" which have open hunting but closed to firearms.

This thing could really be the ticket to reduce those deer from running 100 yards and dying in somebody's driveway or back yard. If it's 2" at 50 yards, that relates to 1" at 25 from a solid rest this is head shot drop in their tracks worthy.

I travel and hunt by air way to much to pack around a high pressure tank. Those folks that hunt from home on on there own property would be all set with his stated 8 full power shots. Night pig hunting over a feeder would be amazingly fun and functional with this!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One press release I read stated that it comes with 3 "full sized" 375gr arrows. Did not mention if that was with a broadhead.

http://howldb.com/p/05t3pm

Last edited by pointer; 01/05/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No mention of brand or weight of mechanical broadhead used. Sure looked like a pretty good arc in that arrow/bolt for 450 fps. Great device for out the truck window hunting. I wonder if you have to shoot it to release pressure or can just bleed it off when done hunting. Does it just go "click" if you forget to cock it? Tom

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I get right on 300 fps out of my Excalibur crossbow with almost 500 gran arrows. I don't consider it bow hunting, but the state of Minnesota does. I shot four with it this fall in precisely the situation JJHack described, a bunch of five acre lots with an overpopulation of deer.

The crossbow is noisy compared to a compound, no question about that. Both are enough to make Bambi jump and both slow enough that at 30 yards Bambi jumping might make you miss or hit the wrong place. 20 yards for them is pretty safe though. This thing at 450 FPS is going to a lot louder than my Excalibur, and not all that much faster that 50 yards is reasonable.

I can hold inch and a half groups with the Excalibur at 50 yards. The arrows I shoot at that range with a field point will penetrate 3/4 inch of exterior plywood and a 2x4 edgewise, leaving a little of the point protruding from the back side. I don't see this as being much different than the Excalibur. But... for a first cut at something like this it looks pretty good and might be fun to play with.

FWIW my pellet gun that I use to shoot varmints around the house is a lot louder than my Excaliber and not so accurate.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not the first air powered arrow launcher. Swivel Machine has offered one for years along with a 10/22 barrel that uses blanks to power the arrow. http://www.swivelmachine.com/html/stealth.htm
Also, FX offers an arrow barrel for their Verminator Extreme http://www.fxairguns.com/rifle/the-verminator-mkll-extreme/

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Funny calling it air bow

No part is a bow, probably should have called it Bow gun, or Air-row rifle something other then using the word "bow" which no part of it is a bow.

Next Shakespeare will be selling fishing rods called laser swords.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Not even remotely bow hunting

Yep, dang sure not a recurve. Just like modern compounds ain't remotely what bowhunting was.

But somewhere we all draw a line.

This could be cool and fun, but legal for an archery season? Dunno about that.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
When you manually have to draw the string hold it and release weather, compound,recurve or long bow that's what I consider bow hunting
Crossbow is boarder line
That thing is an air rifle

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'd say a bow has limbs that thing is a rifle

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'd say a bow has limbs that thing is a rifle

I can go with that. A shotgun shooting a flechette load isn't a bow by anyone's definition I know of.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
"I am confident using it on North American big game,” says Shockey.
smile Did you see his smile?! Smells like he got paid a lot of money to smile and say how "shocked" he was as the poor penned bison struggled to get up again....

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Funny calling it air bow

No part is a bow, probably should have called it Bow gun, or Air-row rifle something other then using the word "bow" which no part of it is a bow.

Next Shakespeare will be selling fishing rods called laser swords.

I agree. It's an air rifle.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess they figured the danger was too great calling it a BLOW gun.

Especially with Shockey doing the PR work...

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
"I am confident using it on North American big game,” says Shockey.
smile Did you see his smile?! Smells like he got paid a lot of money to smile and say how "shocked" he was as the poor penned bison struggled to get up again....

Yea, it looked about as exciting as shooting a cow in a pasture to me.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
When you manually have to draw the string hold it and release weather, compound,recurve or long bow that's what I consider bow hunting
Crossbow is boarder line
That thing is an air rifle

I was just musing... not pointing fingers. I hate crossbows and compounds once I learned the joy of the recurve. But i still barely can use a compound and use a crossbow a lot due to issues... Don't much care what others think either.

The guns firing arrows have been around for a LONG time.

NOt saying they should be put in archery but just musing how far archery has come.

Elitists would say my recurve isn't traditional either.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (1minute, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 3,102 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.