The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Carrot???? She could use a little protein.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by moosemike
44 mph on a bicycle! I believe that would scare me.

One loose thread is all it takes.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
One loose thread? Harry, no one wants to see your unclothed body, that would be bad.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've been known to strut....

IC B2

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Your last sentence should tell you something. I'll revise the preface to my recommendation. If you are normally a rural person doing normal rural things and find them difficult/taxing or find yourself needing to be careful lest you "throw your back out", refer to my earlier recommendation.

My rural inlaws think it's unusual to carry railroad ties around the yard, split a stacked/heaped pickup load of wood without putting the maul down, or carry the washer and dryer from the truck bed to the front door landing. But they don't do any barbell work.

Lots of folks seem to think heavy barbell work will interfere with rather than enhance other physical activity, including (especially) so-called "cardio" work. I've found the payout is worth way more than the investment.

Folks seem reluctant to take the 6 months needed to build a permanent strength base, for reasons that perplex me or are demonstrably false. About the only valid reason I can think of is that they don't like how Carhartt B159 pants look (not much else fits over an average squatter's thighs without being 4" too big in the waist), and don't care to update the ol' wardrobe. So let's hear yours.

Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Moose, you work up to it. I've done a few centuries (100 miles) and my normal rides are ~ 30 miles, so 40 isn't a big deal. However, it's a hard route we took. I finish a ride exhilarated and that feeling carries into the next day, but I was definitely a bit whipped last night.

Cycling is an incredible low-impact cardio workout guys. Best thing I discovered in middle life by a long shot... Super fun. Out in the clean air, seeing sights, covering ground, hauling ass. The "kit" for it is admittedly goofy as it gets.

Vek, I'm not a desk jockey, I've done the rural thing for 25 years. I should start adding some of the "stuff" that I do to my exercise reports. Gets pretty physical out in the sticks quite often. smile Anyway, it doesn't leave me feeling like I need to be lifting heavy things for sport.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Isn't lifting heavy things and transporting them up slopes and long distances part of backpack hunting?

Especially if you're successful?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Best thing Ive done to keep hunting when most friends my age have hung it up is to lift weights that target the large muscle groups. I don't lift the big amounts that some here do. Squats and deadlifts top out at just over 200 but that is enough for me. Anymore and the back starts to act up. Also they are an excellent cardio workout if you don't spend a lot of time sitting around. Not sure one has to really do more with weights other than squats, dead lifts, bent over rows combined with some bench press and chinups/pullups.

Throw in some extra cardio and you should be good to go for the hunting most of us do providing your health stays with you.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I missed the 44 mph part; yes, it's a little scary on a bike with tires as wide as your thumb, wearing egg cartons on your head, and spandex. smile

However the gyroscopic affect is a real thing; at high speeds a (good) bike is very stable, barring mishap. I splurged on a very good bike once I knew I was hooked. It tracks like its on a rail on curvy fast descents and has excellent brakes.

Vek, I have no argument against lifting weights whatsoever. However I a) don't go to a gym and b) I do a lot of lifting as it is. For instance, in the last 20 months, I built a house, myself, to include digging the foundation trenches with a shovel, just as an illustration of how my demented DIY brain works. I rarely finish a day thinking, boy, I wish I'd lifted more heavy things! smile

But to your points, my wife got really into Pilates and deep aggressive yogas for awhile there and some of the things she could do, I couldn't even BEGIN to approach. I am absolutely certain my body has whole realms that could use a lot of work and that I would see big benefits. No argument.

Love reading about what you guys do. Fitness threads are a great thing. Gotta keep each other on point!

All right, got some bags of feed and a 10 gallon propane tank to move <g>.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Harry, you do better than I'd guess 98.5% of people your age.

I'm not nearly as old as you (!!) but I can feel a difference with each year. That accelerates the older you get (as you're no doubt well aware), but it also applies to 30- and 40-something guys.

The fact is, as you age you lose a lot of things that help with backpack hunting and everyday life. Strength, muscle mass, muscle tone, balance, flexibility, cardio capacity and so on and so forth. It also becomes much easier to "tweak" something if you lift too much, without warming up, or with bad technique.

Working on all the stuff that declines with age will surely make you a better hunter, and that's just the icing on the cake.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Also, my elk hunting buddy Jerry normally lifts all year, but didn't lift much in 2015 due to having the partner in his business croak... Jerry is in his early 70's, and I saw a huge difference in how he was able to move around in the woods. I'm buying what you are selling, battue.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I'm buying what you are selling, battue.

Just don't get the poster of him in spandex.....

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
A wall-mount squat rack could be built on a concrete floor with about 24' of 3" wide channel steel, a couple of 1-1/4" dia x 4" long capscrews with two nuts each, some concrete expansion anchors, some lag bolts, some 1/8" 6013 rod and a cheapo stick welder. Add another dozen feet of channel to make the rack freestanding. Buy from a scrapyard. Have a metal shop punch a row of holes up the vertical members' webs on 4" centers.

Typical construction work and house chores don't give the range of motion needed to get strong legs and back.

Mr. Battue nailed it. If I'm doing work sets of squats with a bodyweight barbell when I'm in my late 50s and 60s, I'll be a happy camper.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Weight training ain't for everyone. You're either wired to enjoy it or you're not. If it's fun you'll stay with it, if it's a chore you won't. Everybody should do something however. Whether it's a daily walk , hike, bike ride, or gym routine. I look at a lot of these older people who can barely get around, and for the most part it's entirely preventable.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I get what I need lifting 2 or 3 times a week, 45 minutes a session. When I lift in my garage, I clean up, prep brass or fix other stuff between sets.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Vek

Mr. Battue nailed it. If I'm doing work sets of squats with a bodyweight barbell when I'm in my late 50s and 60s, I'll be a happy camper.

Mr. Battue has sailed right past the 50s and 60s, he's a regular Jack Lalane.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And Mr Battue wishes he could sail back. Enjoy it while you can. Of course being Mr Natural isn't all that bad. 😄

Last edited by battue; 04/09/16.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Earlier today we started the Grandson out with his first sleeping bag. Who knows were it will go, but he already has the campfire smirk.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looks cozy!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
3-1/2 hours of rototilling;

35 miles on a bike.

The tilling wasn't as hard as it might sound, we have a nice rear-tine tiller, doesn't beat me up too bad.... Parts of the ride were nice and aggressive; my buddy is casually entering a race in Colorado in a few weeks, and it's lit a fire under him, and I'm reaping the benefits of a motivated ride buddy!

The euphoria for hours after a good ride is a wonderful thing; presumably that's from 2.5 hours of aerobic output, some at peak (or very near) HR and high oxygen throughput. What makes cycling so special is that you aren't beat up afterwards! If I'd done a vigorous 2.5 hour hike it'd be ibuprofen time. Instead I feel GREAT.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 17 of 48 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 47 48

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
707 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.