Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

SMKs worked well for me

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jwp475

SMKs worked well for me

[Linked Image]

Nice shooting!!!

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah no [bleep]. Plus one!

I've heard it's easy with a Big .33 though.......................... whistle

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Maybe. The "duff" on the ground here maybe has to be experienced to be believed. We have moss growing on our moss here. smile

It would swallow hits from my 300WM with 200-grainers without a trace.

Seeing hits has always been a big part of the brake sales pitch and I'm still hoping to find one that will do that. I'd gladly eat a little more recoil to get it.

John or others, where would you put the line on this? Would a big braked .30 stay on target?

What a long-winded, stupid, fakhat.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've had Vais brakes on 3 rifles that are/were chambered in severely over-bore cartridges, and it works/worked like a charm. I can set my current fire-breather in the rear bag and the front pedestal rest and just touch the trigger, allowing it to free recoil. It moves about an inch backward. My current rifle is rather heavy which also helps dampen recoil, but, even with all the recoil reduction measures I have taken I can't see the impact of the bullet.

IC B2

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey 'dood! Thanks for the info. I'm reluctantly conceding that it's gonna be at least borderline whether it'll "show my shots". I did speak to DE about this, and EDGE brass availability. Plenty of Bertram bra$$ so that's good. He did state that with his EDGE builds, typically @ 30" plus brake, IF the shooter is solidly in-line with the rifle's recoil axis, the shots can usually be seen. If the shooter is lying at an angle (which I do) then typically the rifle recoils too much to the right to see the shot.

Hoping to talk to Mr. Holland about his brake next. It scored well in the staying on target category in that test that was linked to earlier.

My understanding of the Vais is that there's ports on the underside, making shooting from prone a problem. True?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Jeff,just a thought,you could put a towel on the ground under the brake and that should stop most of the dust/debris problem.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I could bring a blanket and have a picnic! grin

I've never fired a braked rifle. I have NO IDEA what the magnitude of the physics are up there. I'm just listening to what folks say at this point.

Modifying hardened electric motor shafts on the lathe today........NOT a picnic. Beats yesterday, which was putting a temporary fix on my shop roof, which had a tree fall on it in a windstorm a couple days ago. Luckily missed the trusses and just crunched plywood. I could USE a picnic! smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The amount of dust and debris a brake can throw is surprising the first time. A friend fired his STW from the tailgate. The blast took out the entire tail light assembly, not just the red lens.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've had a VAIS Brake of two different rifles (1) Lazzeroni Patriot and (2) Lazzeroni HellCat and both rifels were lighter than Lazzeroni normally makes.

The HellCat is a short .375 that will run a 300gr Nosler, without any pressure problems, up past 2570 fps. It was fairly mild to shoot and not noisy at all. When I took to Africa the PH wasn't keen on it and I told him if he could the difference in noise, with brake on and off, with his back turned I'd take it off and the put the cap on. The rifle wore the brake for the full safari.

There are probably other brakes that may reduce recoil a little more but the noise and blast back into your face (and scope lens) isn't worth it.

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
I could bring a blanket and have a picnic! grin

I've never fired a braked rifle. I have NO IDEA what the magnitude of the physics are up there. I'm just listening to what folks say at this point.

Modifying hardened electric motor shafts on the lathe today........NOT a picnic. Beats yesterday, which was putting a temporary fix on my shop roof, which had a tree fall on it in a windstorm a couple days ago. Luckily missed the trusses and just crunched plywood. I could USE a picnic! smile
laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Jeff get the DE brake, I have a 300 RUM with a vias brake and trust me you do not want to shoot that brake prone on the ground. You do not want holes on the bottom. You will not have any noise problems with a 30" barrel

Last edited by jwp475; 01/18/16.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
John, I'd say that's the plan at this point. I also like that it's sold as a blank and therefore is relatively cheap.

Should be ordering the action this week. Keep hoping a donor SPS will appear locally but unless I went with blued, no luck. I want stainless.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I ordered the barrel @ 30" but fluted as if it finishes at 28"..... so, still planning 28" but at least 30" will be an option.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had a Vias and loved it. The bottom ports are not ideal for shooting prone. I just put a precision armament M-41 on a 8.5lb 308. I can see bullet impact through the scope on 10x at 100yards. Their M-11 is also supposed to be very good and lacks the 360deg. ports.
Precision Armament uses a DLC coating on their brakes and it's phenomenally durable and easy to clean. The M41 has three baffles. The first and nearest the muzzle is pitched slightly forward, the next two baffles are perpendicular to the bore. This brake is a beautifully machined and finished.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I ordered the barrel @ 30" but fluted as if it finishes at 28"..... so, still planning 28" but at least 30" will be an option.

A 30" barrel blank can Finnish at 29" plus brake, not 30" plus brake.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Hoping to talk to Mr. Holland about his brake next. It scored well in the staying on target category in that test that was linked to earlier.

Darrell may be at the SHOT show this week.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

572 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,183 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,851
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.