Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
What about shooting a gas-check design bullet without the gas check? Thanks.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
BP-B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
depends on how fast and the powder used.

Could increase leading.

May affect accuracy.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What he said. Don't expect to set the world on fire though (but you might). It's always interesting to read reports of those who swim against the tide.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
wrap it in cotton paper, then lube size and shoot. Paper patching works.If not keep under about 1000 fps and and it might shoot fine

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've shot em in an old Mod 70 308 without issue as a reduced plinking load,, always worked fine.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As with all things cast, it depends. If you're looking for top accuracy and want to prevent leading for high pressure loads, then use the gas check. For mild plinking loads, it should be fine without. I've always used gas checks on gas check design molds, but that's because I've had a suitable plane base mold to use.

For bullets that have several driving bands, they should stabilize w/o the gas check. But a bullet with short driving bands w/o the gas check it might cause accuracy problems.

5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the responses - all appreciated.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you do it you will gas-cut the bases, have horrible accuracy, and within 10 shots the gas-cutting will cause so much leading that the grooves will fill up and the bore size will effectively be reduced and your gun will explode. I know this because I heard it at a gun shop. Let anyone with ears to hear, listen.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by selmer
If you do it you will gas-cut the bases, have horrible accuracy, and within 10 shots the gas-cutting will cause so much leading that the grooves will fill up and the bore size will effectively be reduced and your gun will explode. I know this because I heard it at a gun shop. Let anyone with ears to hear, listen.

Then it must be gospel.. grin

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

BWAAAA-HAAAW-HAWW!!!

A gun in hand is worth two cops on the phone.
MOLON LABE
LET'S GO BRANDON!!
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I shoot both the Lee 150 & 170 gr. RNFP bullets sized to .310 in my old pump 30-30 with the GC left off. I just give them a couple coats of Alox/JPW lube and keep the velocity at 1300 fps. or less and there very accurate and have never leaded the bore. I've also shot several GC 38 cal. pistol bullets as well the the GC left of and kept them at 38 or +P velocity and they shot fine as well.

I just use a GC on the bullet when it's really necessary and or accuracy really benefits.

Artisan in Lead, bullets and powder
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

Ha! I shoot the RCBS 45 405 GC bullet without gas checks and 30:1 alloy all the time with 45-70 black powder loads. No leading whatsoever, but I'll post picks when my Ballard explodes grin

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Just a wild guess but it would make a difference what the hardness of your alloy is and the velocity that you push them at.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I tried 8x57 175 gr gas check design without checks and got mediocre performance, even at lower velocity (1600-1700). The exact same bullet and load with gas checks shot very well. The allow was approximately 12 BHN. I honestly can't remember if I got leading or if the accuracy was just not there, it's been awhile. Not very scientific but those were my results.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
In a rifle, gas checks help muchly with accuracy for higher pressure loads, but for low pressure plinkers, it's cheaper to buy a different mold than to buy the damn gas checks these days. Coated FB bullets work well at 30-30 speeds.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

that kind of what a former friend of mine kept telling me that you can't run a lead bullet past 1000fps without leading.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
screwing around i also powder coated some bullets designed for a gas check and had zero issues.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
JSH that much velocity with a plain base bullet (GS shank or no) is really pushing it. Usually about 1400 is the top end for most non checked bullets in my experience. Muddy

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by muddy22
JSH that much velocity with a plain base bullet (GS shank or no) is really pushing it. Usually about 1400 is the top end for most non checked bullets in my experience. Muddy

Powder coating will raise that and get past the leading issue, but there will be an accuracy ceiling depending on velocity and caliber. I'd try a double powder coat and an extra thou larger when sizing and see what happens in your rifle...likely nothing out of the ordinary and better than lubed lead.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have shot gas check design bullets without the gas check with no problems as long as you keep the velocity within reasonable limits.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
636 members (007FJ, 257Bob, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,237
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.