Print Thread
Hop To
L
LouisB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Do you fish the same spot year after year, found during Soft water conditions or just random spot.

Deep water or shallow?

Last edited by LouisB; 01/05/16.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No different from summer: you have to find 'em. They feed less often, but when they do, they often move shallower to do so. Fish found deep are often semi-dormant - but also can simply be in the warmest water available and active.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Now let me ask a question out of ignorance, What the hell is this hard water-soft water bull [bleep]? powdr

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
hard water is the kind that Jesus (and me) walk on.

[Linked Image]

You cut or drill a hole in the hard layer so you can get to the fish.

old school.

[Linked Image]

sometimes we slide a little shack over the top of the hole.

[Linked Image]

turn on the heater...

[Linked Image]

shut the doors and windows, make it dark so you can see down the hole.

[Linked Image]

You trick a fish into coming within range, use a decoy.

Then you throw the spear.

tie a rope to the F'ing spear so you don't lose it. Don't want to lose it, cause your dad made it.

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Then you pull that [bleep] in...

[Linked Image]

how

[Linked Image]

about

[Linked Image]

That!

[Linked Image]

looks like supper on a stick.

[Linked Image]

Now we just have to decide, we gonna fry it or bake it?

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nice northern on a stick Dave. We were all set to go spear chucking last weekend when we were suddenly afflicted with the dreaded GC (Golden Corral) food poisoning, damn mother in law and her eating places. Maybe this weekend.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dave:

If you get tired of filleting those pike, consider smoking them and then canning the smoked fish. Awesome stuff, and a great way to deal with small pike that are a pain to fillet the y bones out. . Course I am biased - we are allowed 9 pike under 22" on our lake, so we have an abundance of the damn tackle busters.

fp

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Now Dave, that's the kind of answer I was looking for. Stay outta that shack and get that Ford finished. powdr

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I've got a 66 chevy to turn out first, then I will turn focus to the 69 Mach 1, at least through body/primer stages, might as well paint the F'ing thing too I guess. lol. Then a 58 plymouth "christine".

so on and so forth, for ever and ever, lol.

Something clever here.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
For water to freeze, the lake must turn over. The water wll get colder and denser until it gets to 39.5 degrees. After that it gets less dense. That's why ice forms on the top of the water, and not the bottom of the lake. Depending on the depth of the water and the amount of cold air available to cool the lake down, that most assuredly affect where you find the fish and when you find them there. They move with the temperature changes, just like they do in the summer.

Even here where it can get very, very cold and stay that way for a very long time though the water below about 8 feet will usually stay about 39.5 and you will likely have active fish there.

Deep water in summer in a lot of inland lakes usually has less O2 than shallower water and because of the turnover when the surface water gets cold and sinks to the bottom you can find fish in deep water taking advantage of a previously "unavailable" food source, and they can be very active.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

329 members (160user, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 16penny, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,701 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,178
Posts18,465,550
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.