Print Thread
Hop To
F
fellas2 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Got an original black one and would like to paint it tan. Any suggestions on paint to use.

GB1

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you want a fine texture I like the Rust-Oleum Multi-color Textured version. The make one called 'Bisque' that is a tan with black specks in it that looks pretty good. I used Rust-Oleum plastic primer first on my stock and it held up well for the year that I used it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Krylon "Almond" satin with a satin clear coat finish coat.

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
One of the best paints for plastic stocks is Brownells Aluma-Hyde II. It is an epoxy based paint that is tough and solvent resistant. Krylon is not. Can't say about Rust-Oleum, but I doubt it. Solvent resistance is important is these days of potent bore solvents and degreasers.

RAN

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ive used Krylon Fusion and clear Koted it when done...no issues with solvents etc....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
On the cheap - Krylon or the Rustoleum camo and 2x coverage cans are just as good. With a rattlecan, color is as easy to change as scopes. Since the Ti stock is not plastic, Krylon is not specifically necessary. A two part product is better for the long haul IMO, Duracoat works... Couldn't find a picture but a few years ago someone baked a Ti stock, and it pretty much 'sploded - so don't do that. LOL

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Recently someone posted they did this with a rattlecan stone product (if I remember correctly). Looks great and I'd think a matte clearcoat would smooth it out as desired.
[Linked Image]

Here's that BDL'd multi-colored Ti from above set back to black...
[Linked Image]

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Looks like Steelhead might have painted the top two. powdr

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
who painted the above stocks and what did they use???? Was it actually "Steelhead"??
ABLE

I see four more years of economic stagnation and high unemployment if Obama is reelected. He lies every time he opens his mouth. "The GREAT DECEIVER"! Scary prospect.Worst president EVER.
UPS HAS ROTTEN CUSTOMER SERVICE, THIS I HAVE EXPERIENCED

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Except for the stone look stock - that is most awesome - these are stocks I've messed with. Just posted to show variety.

grin

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've use Duracoat with a small taxidermy airbrush and it turned out well. I not only painted the stock, but also painted the barrel and action. It has held up very well. Would use Duracoat again. I used Krylon Fusion prior to using Duracoat and the Duracoat is much more durable. Also, the airbrush produced a much better paint finish.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Krylon Fusion with semi gloss clear top coat:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Has anyone tried the cerakote air cure products? They make a clear top coat that gets good reviews. I've been trying to figure out what these stock companies are using. I think if you kept the temp down around 130 you should be fine using the bake on Cerakote, IMO

I think an epoxy based paint would work really well. I was thinking even a self-etching primer would work well and give a nice matte look. I too have an OG Ti stock I'm looking to refinish along with a LAW stock I'm working on.
I've played with Duracoat and it works well and looks good when applied hvlp. It seems to bond better to synthetic materials better than metal, as far as durability. Make sure you mix enough the first time to do all your parts! The final finish sheen depends on the epoxy amount used and it is all but impossible to replicate.

If at first you don't succeed; shoot, shoot again
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Ive used Krylon Fusion and clear Koted it when done...no issues with solvents etc....

Same here

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Iclimb, Forget the details but here's a stock posted a few years ago that got over-baked...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
it's called 'blemished'

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Originally Posted by ingwe

Same here

Me too. I used the AlumaHyde-II clear over the Fusion and while the finish was not overly matte, the epoxy-based clear is pretty heavy duty, compared to other clear topcoats. It also took a long time to dry and required several light coats.

Now with even more aplomb

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,595 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,547
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.