-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Anybody use a tablet as their chartplotter/gps?

I have an old Furuno unit and have been looking to replace it. I have seen where folks have used their tablet and downloaded maps and software so figured I'd give it a try.

The free Navionics app is awesome on my iPad. You can download maps(the maps aren't free) with tons of info, route planning, tides, and just a bunch of other information and customize it.

I'm pretty green when it comes to marine electronics, but so far I think this is going to be my primary unit. Put a mount in each boat and super easy to take the iPad wherever.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You could probably make it work. Depends on the duty it will see.

Depending on the fishing you do, a chartplotter with radar overlay is the way to go. You basically can turn on your radar, and see boats and where they are fishing miles away, and out of sight.

I'm convinced that the Furuno TZT2 with added radar is what I need.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I love having the Navionics app on my phone and tablet but I don't use them as my primary electronic navigation device. A few of the downsides for me is that they are hard to read in direct sunlight and for all day use I have had them overheat and shut down in the harsh sun down here.

Not even going to comment on the water resistance (or lack there of) for an uncovered tablet or phone.

You are much better served by a dedicated console mounted unit with a Navionics based system that you can share waypoints and favorites back and forth between it and your tablet / phone.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I can certainly see the glare in direct light being a pain in the ass. Temps up here aren't much of an issue though. Especially under a hard top.

For less than $100 you can have your tablet not only water resistant, but actually submersible.

Certainly not for everybody. Calvin makes his living on his boat and likely spends more time on the water in a couple months than I do all year. For me though, not sure I can see a down side. I always have my old csx60 with me for back up and charts/maps. Glare might ruin it though, in which case I'm out nada.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by MadMooner

For less than $100 you can have your tablet not only water resistant, but actually submersible.

A few of us down here thought that too. I lost one phone that was in a Seidio Obex case when a sudden thunder storm came up on us and we had no choice but to drive through on our way back to port. Ended up taking a few over the bow in the process. Boat took a beating and one of the impacts knocked my phone out of the RAM mount holding it to the console. It fell to the floor and rattled to the back of the deck where it bounced around in the sea water for a couple of miles while we drove through the storm. There was no going back and getting it--we all had to focus on holding on, heading into the waves and watching the compass at that point. When we got back the case had failed, allowed water in and the phone was shot.

My father was trying out his tablet in the same manner with a LifeProof case. We had been fishing all day and he had to plug his tablet up to charge it. While the case may be sealed completely when its unplugged the charging port on his wasn't completely water tight and served as a moisture seep when we took on some spray as we were on our way to our next fishing spot.

While either of these events may not apply to the way your boat is set up and where you run around, I have quickly found that tablets and phones are not suitable FOR ME as a primary navigation source given the way we boat / fish down here.

They may be the bee's knees for you though. I am simply sharing my experience.

IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get a marine grade GPS/chartplotter.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Originally Posted by MadMooner

A few of us down here thought that too. I lost one phone that was in a Seidio Obex case when a sudden thunder storm came up on us and we had no choice but to drive through on our way back to port. Ended up taking a few over the bow in the process. Boat took a beating and one of the impacts knocked my phone out of the RAM mount holding it to the console. It fell to the floor and rattled to the back of the deck where it bounced around in the sea water for a couple of miles while we drove through the storm. There was no going back and getting it--we all had to focus on holding on, heading into the waves and watching the compass at that point. When we got back the case had failed, allowed water in and the phone was shot.

My father was trying out his tablet in the same manner with a LifeProof case. We had been fishing all day and he had to plug his tablet up to charge it. While the case may be sealed completely when its unplugged the charging port on his wasn't completely water tight and served as a moisture seep when we took on some spray as we were on our way to our next fishing spot.

While either of these events may not apply to the way your boat is set up and where you run around, I have quickly found that tablets and phones are not suitable FOR ME as a primary navigation source given the way we boat / fish down here.

They may be the bee's knees for you though. I am simply sharing my experience.

Yikes. Already sacrificed a couple phones to the salt. Was banking on a new waterproof case.

Thanks for the feedback!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My sons life proof case leaked and ruined his phone too. Water got in and that case stayed several hours with water inside

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1234, 59 invisible), 3,003 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,697
Posts18,456,685
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.