Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Check this out. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...zona_Archery_Spot_and_Stalk#Post10850091

The one gear issue on the hunt was managing the bow, binos, and range finder. I carried the bow by hand not utilizing a sling. This required one hand bino glassing which proved to be very ineffective. The binos were on a standard strap harness with the rangefinder clipped to the harness. This also proved to be a problem when the stalk required hustling to dogleg moving bucks. Jogging while holding the bow with one hand and the binoculars steady on the chest with the other (they bounce bad when you jog) will wear you out quickly. Also, crawling with the bow hand held and the binos dragging the dirt is a problem.

I am thinking that a bino harness/bag that secures tightly to your chest is the first step, with the range finder secured to this system for convenient and stealth ranging. Next is to find a sling system that does not interfere with the bino harness/bag, where the bow is in a position for quick and stealth access and detachment, but also facilitates moving to your back for crawling.

If you do any archery spot and stalk I'd love the hear your system.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leica range finding glasses

Or

Alaska guide creations bino pack with front pocket for range finder

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What JJ said.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I have tried the range finding glass and concluded that my preference is definitely a small mono for one handed operation. For me, when it comes time for the rangefinder the bow better be in the other hand.

The AG creations bino pack looks interesting, but I am convinced that I want a top that opens away from the body. The Kuiu Bino system with the Specialty Outdoor Products Ultimate Bow Sling is looking good. I will get the two in house and see if they are compatible with one another and try to figure out how to incorporate the range finder. The Range Snap (attaches rangefinder to bino straps) works excellent for the range finder and keeps it in the perfect location but need to find a way to keep it from flopping around when crawling and jogging.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you use a bow holster type deal that holds the bottom cam in a holder attached to your belt, you can set your binos on top of the top cam and have a pretty solid rest. I like the crooked horn outfitters bino buddy to keep them from flopping around. My rangefinder goes in a pouch on my belt or pack. I like to range a bunch of landmarks from a distance then crawl in and do the math in my head for final distance.

Never tried any of the rangefinding binos - way out of my budget. I seem to get my share each fall with Vortex 10X40 Vipers and Nikon Aculon R/F.

Last edited by centershot; 01/11/16.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have also used a retractable cable that clamps to a belt or back. You can range and let go it will zip the line back into the retractor. That has been really handy at times to not lose the rangefinder!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I use the Badlands bino case with the magnetic strip. It sits will well on my chest, has enough flex/stretch to move with me, and "snaps" shut like a 150 pound clam if I let it.

However, a little common sense on closing, and it's pretty easy to operate, very easy to get to in hurry, and keeps the case sealed very well.

[Linked Image]

I generally have an outer layer on, and my requirement for an outer layer is a chest pocket for the rangefinder. You can see the rangefinder outline in the right chest pocket. I have the Badlands range finder case (magnetic like the bino case) that will attach to the side of the Badlands bino case. It has a long tether for the range finder and seem pretty secure as well. I don't hunt much warm weather SnS, so I haven't used the small case nearly as much as the bino case.

I picked up a Eberlestock "Nose Gunner" to try this year, has a flap-over magnetic top, slightly smaller size, and a pocket behind the main case for a pistol, map...or a rangefinder, I'm thinking.

Unfortunately, I loaned it to a buddy...I may not see it back. He is really liking it, so far.

Last edited by AH64guy; 01/12/16.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
For a stalking bow sling, I used this one:

http://www.kingscamo.com/Neo-Tech-Bow-Carrier_p_1051.html

For most part, it was the cat's @ss for easy of carry, easy of use, and it fit three different bows in camp. We alternated between riding and stalking, it worked well in a saddle scabbard, and protects the cams and string/cables over the cams onto the limbs.

The sleeve pockets are deep, and they lock around the cams very well. I was not worried about the bow ever "falling" out of the sling. We pulled, one on the bow, one on the sling, and couldn't get the bow out without starting the sleeve over one of the cams first.

The wide sling strap was very comfortable and did not cut into my shoulder or neck, YMMV.

The brand is "Tarantula", these are made in King's patterns for their website. TARANTULA NEO-TECH BOW CARRIER SLING is on several websites, and different price points

Downsides: It's a solid neoprene sleeve, has some bulk, and is a bit heavier (weight) than other options (Primos, NAP). I tend to use it as a drop item if I'm stalking on something in close, IE drop it, and plan on returning to pick it up, Or I'll slip it around my body if I have time.

2015 was the first year for using it, so I don't know how the neoprene "stretch" will last over time. I don't leave the sling on, and it didn't show any signs of permanent stretch after one season use.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks guys. Appreciate the input.

As for the sling, I am thinking along the lines of a something for inside 100 yards or when a shot could present itself at any moment, when you are in the thick of deer and need to glass. I am not very good at one handed glassing and want to sling the bow and have both hands available to glass. The slings that cover the cams and strings are great for covering distances with a bow but do not work up close and personal.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Ummm...

I differ with you a bit, that ear in the picture was attached to a cow elk shot at 16 yards, I had about 5-10 seconds to transition from stalking to unsling, nock, and come to a "high ready" to draw. We were in thick timber and alder, so she couldn't see me, but there was nothing wrong with her ears.

The sling listed has enough stretch to pull off one-handed quietly, the long strap let it drape around my torso, and I didn't have anything hanging off of the bow besides the quiver.

It generally takes me longer to get the arrow out of the quiver, than it does to get the bow "unslung", YMMV...

IC B3

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
10-4. Appreciate the info. "The slings that cover the cams and strings are great for covering distances with a bow but do not work up close and personal". I should have qualified that by adding "for me". I have the Primos version and I would not do the same with it. I am not saying that based on theory, but experience, and I practice a lot. Maybe the full neoprene version is better. I will give the King a try.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Completely agreed,

The Primos version is much slower, and the method of securing the sling to the bow is much more "buckle in". We kept finding that the cam "covers" would not stay on the cams, and it did not lend itself well to a quick shot. I've used the Primos, and the NAP sling that straps to the front of the limb pockets, no protection for the cables and cams.

My hunting buddy had the Primos version on our hunt, he quit using it after the first day of pre-hunt hiking. He tried mine, and has since bought one for this coming year. We tried three different bows in the sling, none of them would "pull" straight out with a direct pull on the riser, but all were easy to slip the sling off of one cam and get to the bow in hurry.

I sound like a fan-boy, but the damn thing just works very well, it really made carrying a bow protected in the brush easy.

Last edited by AH64guy; 01/12/16.
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Great info. Thanks! I have one on the way now.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Uh??? I gonna' be a jerk.
Yer shootin' a +300ft. per second bow, 3-4 pins, a mechanical release and arrows as light as possible, right?

What the hell ya need a ranfge finder fer?

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
7 pins, and at my comfort range there is a +- 1.5 yard margin for error.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
AH64,

It appears that the Cabela's version is the same as the Kings. Do you agree?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunt...%2FN-1100050%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103987080

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Sure does,

The two I've bought from Kings came in Tarantula packaging.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the same, just branded for Cabelas.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
FYI, $26 including 2 day shipping if you are Amazon Prime member.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
AH, I like the neoprene Tarantula very much and think it might just be the ticket. I've got to test it a while but my initial impression is that its a go.

Also, the Kuiu bino case is awesome and works just as I'd hoped.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Good - I will be using mine again this year.

Which KUIU size did you get?

It looks like the case "hooks" over the top of the eye-cup?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 39 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,065
Posts18,463,483
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.