-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe we could get some high speed photographs showing performance on media replicating a real animal ?

Does anyone hunt wet phone books ? (kidding !)

Having cut up quite a few animals shot with cup and cores as well as monometals. The petal rotation effect is easy to see, especially when bone is encountered.

A dull router bit doesn't cut like a sharp one.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The buzz-saw effect has little to do with centrifugal force causing enhanced bullet expansion. You ever spin on a tire swing as a kid? Remember how the faster you spin, the more the universe tried to throw you out of the swing? The same thing happens with bullets; the faster they spin, the more force there is trying to throw the ruptured nose of the bullet outward as expansion initiates.

RPM's definitely contribute to bullet expansion, and simulated low impact velocity tests do NOT replicate actual bullet impacts at long range, even though impact velocity may be similar.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Fotis
Actually it has been proven that residual velocity (starting from a higher one) and a reduced load do about the same damage.

Specifically mentioned here on actual animals and wet newsprint.

[Linked Image]

Fotis,

The humor of you postings articles referencing "buzz saw effect" and using it as cover for being a lying sack of $hit with your "test data" is over the top. I'm gonna confine my research to ballisticians that don't think rpm contibuting to bullets terminal effects is related to a buzz saw and have some basic understanding onf the concept of centrifugal force. This [bleep] has been argued and tested repeatedly - you're wrong, end of story.

If you're so comfortable with your stupidity why don't you go ahead and answer the questions asked to begin with?

How fast were the bullets in your "test" launched initially?

What measure were you using to state that this was equivalent to a "300yd Expansion Test"?

Why do your tested bullets launched at low velocity for a simulated 300yd expansion test look so much different than TTSX's actually fired at normal velocities into test media at 400yds?

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammo/ballistics-test-best-300-win-mag-loads-market/

Why didn't your test bullets with substandard expansion achieve the superior penetration that Barnes bullets are known for?

It's OK - everybody knows you faked your test data now, your silence on the same questions over and over is deafening. Nobody thinks your actually gonna answer.

David

Last edited by Canazes9; 04/21/16. Reason: Link added
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have answered every question you have asked and provided proof of your rpm based expansion. Very little difference in expansion.

A wise man once said,

[Linked Image]

That can also be said about discussing a case with a human whose IQ and shoe size #'s are identical. In this case that would be you of course.

Either way happy trails to you!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have...provided proof of your rpm based expansion. Very little difference in expansion.

No, you provided anecdotal evidence from a source without much scientific credibility, from years ago, that has shown to be completely off base about the cause of the increased expansion attributable to higher rotational velocity. Just because the author was clueless about the cause, doesn't mean the observation wasn't real...

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have answered every question you have asked and provided proof of your rpm based expansion. Very little difference in expansion.

A wise man once said,

[Linked Image]

That can also be said about discussing a case with a human whose IQ and shoe size #'s are identical. In this case that would be you of course.

Either way happy trails to you!

Fotis,

Pretty funny a retard like you talking about other folks IQ's.

You're a lying piece of $hit.

What was the launch velocity in your test?

What chambering fires 120TTSX so slow that it arrives at target at sub 2100fps @ 300yds?

No! No, no one thinks you will answer - again......

David

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I have...provided proof of your rpm based expansion. Very little difference in expansion.

No, you provided anecdotal evidence from a source without much scientific credibility, from years ago, that has shown to be completely off base about the cause of the increased expansion attributable to higher rotational velocity. Just because the author was clueless about the cause, doesn't mean the observation wasn't real...

Thank you Dr. Ruth!

μολὼν λαβέ

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I am confused-I have a 257 bee that shoots one ragged hole with the Barnes TTSX.
Sounds like I shouldn't hunt with it and sounds like I won't be able to sell it shooting Barnes TTSX's.what should I do?😖

Last edited by MAKAIRA; 04/22/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No this is not what this is about.

Everyone knows that at some point or another every bullet will act in a substandard manner. That said Barnes have a tendency to repeat this more often, specifically when it comes to expansion.

I posted the picture and the issue, with the morbidly obtuse, became initial velocity and what cartridge launched this bullet that it landed at 300 yards with 2k fps. Who gives a flying squirrel? Maybe a 7mm TCU or whatever.

Point being is that at 2k the bullet did this compared to the other 2.

Or let's just say theoretically they did this at 400 instead of 300, would this make them more suitable?

If one is happy with it great. Shoot it hunt it sleep with it. For me it won't do.

If the manufacturer says 1800 fps then it should that. Barnes fall short of this more often than the others.

This in all I was trying to relay.

Here is another test

[Linked Image]

Remember according to Barne's commercial video they open up upon contact or at least first inch or so
Now if someone, anyone is happy with these bullets' performance striking at 2200 and 2000 fps them by all means use them.

That is all I was saying

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're speaking out your rear end....again. I've watched well over 100 big critters die via Barnes, with no confirmed, nor even suspected, bullet failures. Most of those animals hit the turf RIGHT now. How about you?

How many Barnes bullets have you PERSONALLY had not expand properly? How about on game animals?

I've seen more Nosler bullets perform poorly, than Barnes.

That's all I'm saying.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
One thing to keep in mind is that most Barnes bullets have different lower limits. For example, the .243 min velocity is 2000 FPS. The .358 range from 1800 - 2000. You can't just assume 1800 is the lower limit. The 168 TTSX goes down to 1500 FPS.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
No this is not what this is about.

Everyone knows that at some point or another every bullet will act in a substandard manner. That said Barnes have a tendency to repeat this more often, specifically when it comes to expansion.

I posted the picture and the issue, with the morbidly obtuse, became initial velocity and what cartridge launched this bullet that it landed at 300 yards with 2k fps. Who gives a flying squirrel? Maybe a 7mm TCU or whatever.

Point being is that at 2k the bullet did this compared to the other 2.

Or let's just say theoretically they did this at 400 instead of 300, would this make them more suitable?

If one is happy with it great. Shoot it hunt it sleep with it. For me it won't do.

If the manufacturer says 1800 fps then it should that. Barnes fall short of this more often than the others.

This in all I was trying to relay.

Here is another test

[Linked Image]

Remember according to Barne's commercial video they open up upon contact or at least first inch or so
Now if someone, anyone is happy with these bullets' performance striking at 2200 and 2000 fps them by all means use them.

That is all I was saying

Fotis

You lying sack-o-$hit!

Another picture w/ no details and a giant mountain of bull$hit. Can't answer any questions on how the test was performed or any specifics. What do you get out of Nosler for being a good little stooge? Do you get free bullets or what?

Oh yeah, that's another question you won't answer....

David

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have used the TTSXs in 7mm, 270, 30 cal, and the 375 with uniform success at ranges from about thirty yards to right at five hundred. I have recovered only two.

The five hundred yard shot was with a 150-gr TTSX from a 284 Win started at 2900 fps. The deer was hit through the heart on a broadside shot without impacting any ribs. The exit would barely accept my little finger tip.

Though that is an example of one out of maybe twenty, I'll let you draw your own conclusions but I've gone to the 140 in the 284 at about 3100 fps.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oryx, lasered 693 yards, 280AI, 140 ttsx, muzzle velocity, @3150.
Right shoulder hit, exit behind left shoulder. DRT.
Massive internal damage to heart, and front of lungs.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I have used the TTSXs in 7mm, 270, 30 cal, and the 375 with uniform success at ranges from about thirty yards to right at five hundred. I have recovered only two.

The five hundred yard shot was with a 150-gr TTSX from a 284 Win started at 2900 fps. The deer was hit through the heart on a broadside shot without impacting any ribs. The exit would barely accept my little finger tip.

Though that is an example of one out of maybe twenty, I'll let you draw your own conclusions but I've gone to the 140 in the 284 at about 3100 fps.

I've learned that exit wounds mean very little when it comes to drawing conclusions about bullet expansion and internal tissue destruction. Often mono's will lose some of their petals, and all that exits is the solid bullet shank, which is why you sometimes see a small exit wound, even at high impact velocities. How was the wound cavity?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only things I have gotten out of Nosler were an autographed manual and an orange hat.

There you go! Those were my perks.

Tarheel you are correct about different calibers . Here is an antelope I took at 363 yards with the 416 Bee and the 300 TSX at 3150 fps muzzle velocity.

No doubt that one expanded!!!

[Linked Image]

Here is my buddy Ray and my boy with the 416 Bee
[Linked Image]

As for the other questions most of the ones I have used worked very well.
In a couple of instances they did not work well judging from the post mortum exams.

Long tracking job and wounds were very small and not enough trauma as the others.

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So Mr Smith...

Am I correct to assume that because you have seen over 100 Barnes DRT kills (and I am not saying that you have not) someone else has not experienced substandard performance from them?

I on the other hand have never seen a Nosler hornady Scirocco and grand slam failure.

Either way like I said failures are not written in stone, and they do not happen often but when talking specifically about expansion I have seen only barnes, A few but only Barnes.

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So Mr Smith...

Am I correct to assume that because you have seen over 100 Barnes DRT kills (and I am not saying that you have not) someone else has not experienced substandard performance from them?

I on the other hand have never seen a Nosler hornady Scirocco and grand slam failure.

Either way like I said failures are not written in stone, and they do not happen often but when talking specifically about expansion I have seen only barnes, A few but only Barnes.

No. What I'm saying is that when I have watched what is actually about 130 big-game animals hit the ground via Barnes bullets, from the X to the TTSX, in various calibers, bullet weights, and impact velocities, with zero expansion problems, I don't buy it when somebody says that they have a higher rate of failure than other brands of bullets. Which is why I question the number of samples you've witnessed.

As sample sizes grow, reliable and accurate conclusions/generalizations are more likely. So how many animals have you witnessed being taken with a Barnes bullet, and what proportion of those involved expansion failure? I find that some guys assume a mono failed to expand based solely on the exit wound, when this is a poor indicator of bullet performance. Often mono's lose some of all of their petals, leaving a solid shank to carry on and exit. I have seen this several times, where the exit hole is not much bigger than caliber, but the internal destruction is massive.

As I said, I've witnessed more Nosler failures than Barnes, so does that give me a license to go around declaring that Nosler's fail more often than Barnes' do? Obviously not. The sample size of my experience and exposure isn't nearly big enough to be able to draw any accurate conclusion like that about the entire population of Nosler and Barnes bullets. That's the problem I have with what you said above, generalizing about Barnes bullets and their failure rate.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well being in the business and having access to studies you do not, please allow me to have the luxury of seeing more than the average Hunter.

You may not think so but hey you are not me.

I do not make unsubstantiated posts. I have seen what I have seen.....as have you I am sure!

Anyway happy hunting sir and enjoy....

μολὼν λαβέ

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Kchuntis,

Fhuqking STUPIDITY isn't a "business"...it's a Plight and them differences are beyond stark,despite your being 100% Clueless. Hint.

What you "see" is Imagination and Pretend and there is no slighting how "real" it is to you. You repeatedly talk out your ass and lie like a fhuqking rug,mainly because it is the "best" you can do. Then you back it up with "results",that are hilariously dismal.

The only thing you shoot is your mouth and Imagination,then you go wayyyyyyy outta your road to obliviously prove same. Congratulations?!?

You are simply a Window Licking Clueless Fhuqk and your "experience" is a Delusional series of things you almost did,with wares you almost used,in places you almost went and that ALMOST counts. Laffin'!

Whattya figure your Imagination and Pretend can muster next...besides the same old plagiarized Fantasies,that reliably collide with Reality? GREAT time to go FULL Fhuqking Retard and cite how you "can't read this",due the "strength" and "conviction" of your Imaginary Pretend Ignore. I'm fhuqking cryin'....I'm laffin' sooooooo fhuqking hard!!!

Hint.

Just sayin'.

Laffin'!

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 48 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,499
Posts18,452,455
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.