Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This morning in fact. Faux NULA

CLR sent off to Forbes for his NULA makeover, .270 winchester zeiss 3-9 conquest

Fired from a kneeling position 30 yards meat buck.

[Linked Image]

BP-B6

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started a regular shoot at our club for hunting rifles from field positions at game targets.

http://arizona-rifleshooting.com/hunting-rifle-shoot-PRGC.html

This is on the same range where we shoot CMP/NRA High Power, Service rifle, mid range and F-class (200 to 500yd with heavy target rifles, either sighted AR-15/M1 etc or scoped benchrest style rifles.

I would say it is an order of magnitude more difficult to shoot a decent group with a lightweight hunting style rifle from a field position than it is for a serious competition rifle in any of the above sports. That is, a guy who can put a 10-shot group in the 10-ring at 300yds in 70-seconds with an iron sighted AR-15 using a coat and sling will have trouble hitting the vital area of a deer target at that distance more than half the time firing slowly 1 shot at a time using a hunting rifle resting on sticks or a backpack.

its not the mechanical accuracy of the rifle, its just so much harder to hold a lightweight gun still from an oddball position.

Poole

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Steyer Scout, prone with Ching Sling. 2 MOA

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
1 shot, 280 yards prone. NULA .260 Remington, 123 scenar:

[Linked Image]

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bluemonday

What does that huge hunk of schit weigh?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Bluemonday

What does that huge hunk of schit weigh?

Dave

IIRC, a little under 8# all up, but I've got a bunch of stuff inside the stock, that's also with the extra mag inside the mag holder in the buttstock. I'd way it for you but MOM has the scale and she's asleep. Try to get it for you tommorrow.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
8lbs "all up" is not light IMO.

Come back and try again when you can afford a rifle that is worth a fugk.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jan. 7, me and pard in 2-man-1 rifle stand w Finnish Compact Tactical Rifle & very LW suppressor...about 10 pounds. Off rail, side of tree and two across pard's back. Bobcat @150. Deer 230ish to 350ish. Seven .260 120s, seven DRTs. grin

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 01/18/16. Reason: Jameson Irish Whiskey

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by deflave

Come back and try again when you can afford a rifle that is worth a fugk.

Dave

Is that you Sctick ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by smokepole

[Linked Image]

Very Nice

Fantastic Pic

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bill Poole
......That is, a guy who can put a 10-shot group in the 10-ring at 300yds in 70-seconds with an iron sighted AR-15 using a coat and sling will have trouble hitting the vital area of a deer target at that distance more than half the time firing slowly 1 shot at a time using a hunting rifle resting on sticks or a backpack.

its not the mechanical accuracy of the rifle, its just so much harder to hold a lightweight gun still from an oddball position.

Poole

Mmm....that's interesting.

I do know that's the standard for a match shooter at 300 with a sling...they expect all "10"s" in rapid fire, and tell me for "slow" fire,1/2 MOA at 300.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I would say it is an order of magnitude more difficult to shoot a decent group with a lightweight hunting style rifle from a field position than it is for a serious competition rifle in any of the above sports. That is, a guy who can put a 10-shot group in the 10-ring at 300yds in 70-seconds with an iron sighted AR-15 using a coat and sling will have trouble hitting the vital area of a deer target at that distance more than half the time firing slowly 1 shot at a time using a hunting rifle resting on sticks or a backpack.

You would be wrong, laughably so. A competitive Service Rifle shooter has to shoot 9 ring (13in) or better OFFHAND at 200yd with irons and a 4.5# trigger. The best shooters, like Bernosky, are cleaning a 7in target at 200yd OFFHAND.

A shooting coat adds about 20% to a good shooters score. It helps but it ain't a quantum leap like you're pretending.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I would sort of take issue with the thing about light rifles and hitting deer sized vitals over a pack at 300 yards no more than 50% of the time, too.

I suspect that anyone who practices much could do that in slow fire. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jwall
Very Nice

Fantastic Pic

Thanks. That was taken with an IPhone. Sometimes the subject is more important than the camera.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
214yds, Kimber 84M 7mm-08AI.

[Linked Image]

David

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You forgot "the position." Nice shooting though, love those groups of one.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by smokepole
You forgot "the position." Nice shooting though, love those groups of one.

Redneck prone.

After traipsing all over every hill in W Texas for 3 days straight, we drove out to the property to begin another hunt. The guide had just driven through the gate and gotten back in the jeep when he spotted a coyote. He quickly stopped and said "bust his ass!"

I jumped out laid prone across the hood and was about to touch one off when he the guide grabbed my shoulder and hissed "There's deer bedded down on that hill - one's a shooter!" I looked where he was pointing in time to see a group of 4 or 5 mule deer nervously standing up. I shot a quick range, adjusted my aim, waited for the wind to lay down and the buck to stop walking, then slipped a bullet behind his shoulder.

David

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I started a regular shoot at our club for hunting rifles from field positions at game targets.

http://arizona-rifleshooting.com/hunting-rifle-shoot-PRGC.html

This is on the same range where we shoot CMP/NRA High Power, Service rifle, mid range and F-class (200 to 500yd with heavy target rifles, either sighted AR-15/M1 etc or scoped benchrest style rifles.

Poole

Everyone is a creature of their environment and a victim of their "experience".

It is hardly "daunting" to gun hasty wicked knots of Precision,while MPAJ from a ruck or similar. Personally,I've no love for 'sticks,but the kids have been using them for years and they reap dividends. I'm no Bipod Lover either and only tend to lean on 'em when gunning an XP-100 or Krunchenticker or perhaps a Chub Play Toy...though never on a true dedicated Killing Rifle.

700yd+ .5MOA LW MPAJ Cluster

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Laughingly gunning Flying Ashtrays MPAJ sub .5MOA,while ascertaining come-ups for same. 24" 25-284 slingin' them schitty 90gr SGK HPBT's at 3500fps++. Fhuqk them pieces of schit.

Not a LW in my book,but steering Flying Ashtray BC's at halfa thousand is entertainin' and makes one appreciate the good stuff. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm thinkin' I could take 10 LW rifles laid side by each and easily keep the Hasty CBS Poke from the lot,well within Venison Vitals at the 700yd line,mainly because I have. Hint.

I prolly shouldn'ta taken down so many videos,because I never got around to uploading more

Thinkin' I need a secretary.......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like the idea of the 6" target drill @ extended ranges from field position. I hunt a great deal off of a BogPod. I am going to do long range practice from it this year. Am guessing it will be humbling. I struggle shooting my NULA from the bench. Am curious how I will do grouping it from a field rest. The NULA is the only ultra light rifle that I own. I think it weighs less than 6 1/2 lbs scoped and loaded. Elevated shooting positions are rare where I hunt and a traditional mounted bipod or backpack rarely gets me over the grass/brush or corn stubble. I will try the 6" target out to 500 and see if I am fooling myself that I am accurate at that range from the bog pod or other types of sticks. I have never taken a shot over 350 from one of these rests.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For me, accuracy from field positions suffers some to a lot, depending on the position. The more unstable the position the more accuracy suffers. There is a picture below of a cow elk I shot in 2011 using my .338WM. I was shooting off a tall Primos Trigger Stick bipod. It was too tall for my position but would have been fine if I was shooting uphill. Instead the cow was below me and even on my knees I had to stretch out as far as I could to get the right down angle. My position was shaky as hell but the range was only about 262 yards and I was sure I could hit the cow in the kill zone. Not so, as it turned out. Instead my first hit was in the process bones above the spine. After that shot I moved about 10 feet to the other side of the rise so I could get the bipod legs below me and take a stable sitting position. The next shot was placed exactly where I aimed but the cow was still standing so it got another, which dropped it instantly. The last two shots made one large hole in the rib cage. The last shot was gratuitous in that it only hastened the inevitable, probably by no more than by a few seconds. Definitely learned a valuable lesson. And I bought a shorter, more stable tripod as a result, which I have used ever since.

The rifles described and/or pictured below are as light as it gets for me, at least for bolt rifles. Don’t know what they weigh but it is less than my walnut or laminate stocked Rugers.

No pictures, but I took my 2015 antelope with an All-Weather Ruger Hawkeye at 373 yards using a 140g Nosler AB and shooting off a Primos Trigger Stick tripod. One shot, placement couldn’t have been any better.

All of these are Ruger MKII’s.
Left to right, .338WM, .300WM and .30-06.
[Linked Image]

2013, .338WM, 225g Nosler AB, 487 yards, Primos Trigger Stick tripod
[Linked Image]

2012, 300WM, 180g Barnes MRX, 400 yards, Primos Trigger Stick tripod
[Linked Image]

2011, .338WM, 225g Nosler AB, 262 yards, Primos Trigger Stick bipod
[Linked Image]

2010, .30-06, 150g Nosler AB, 272 yards, Primos Trigger Stick bipod
[Linked Image]

2006, .300WM, 165g North Fork SS, 260 yards , borrowed sticks
[Linked Image]

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
831 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 85 invisible), 3,248 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,186
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.