Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What level of accuracy/precision do you guys expect from hunting weight rifles fired from field positions? No sandbags or bench equipment. Just sticks, packs, bipods, etc. Rear bag or not is up to the shooter.

Hang some pics if you have them. I'd like some inspiration and see what others feel is realistic. Game kills count too but give us the story to go along with it (was POI the same as POA?).

BP-B6

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A couple hunting buds and I have a goal to hit 1 to 1.5 MOA targets out to 500 or 600 yards. Each has their own goal but mine is the color on the target below which is roughly 6x6 at 500 yards +/-. A hit on the 12x12 plate doesn't count unless it's in the color. Others are leaning more towards 1.5 MOA which seems a bit big but like I mentioned each shooter has their own personal goal.

A couple years ago I posted pics shooting off a Kifaru pack using a Kimber 7-08. Since then, I switched from a 6x Leupo to SWFA 4-9x, and 120 TTSX to 162 AMAX. It's been dead nuts out to 500+ ever since I switched the scope and load. 600 is still dang good, but I'm the weak link there and beyond with a rifle this light.

First shot wasn't the most stable and would be considered a fail. Adjusted the pack and fired 4 more in quick succession for acceptable hits.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 4th_point; 01/10/16.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
For 20+ years this 338-06 has been my go to elk rifle and it has accounted well. I like lighter rifles.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This past season had me carrying a Kimber 270 Win Montana. It worked too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 4th_point
What level of accuracy/precision do you guys expect from hunting weight rifles fired from field positions? No sandbags or bench equipment. Just sticks, packs, bipods, etc. Rear bag or not is up to the shooter.

Hang some pics if you have them. I'd like some inspiration and see what others feel is realistic. Game kills count too but give us the story to go along with it (was POI the same as POA?).

I have a feeling you'd like CarlRoss' thread started about a year ago. It was basically a positional shoot (field positions). There were a few guys that posted results, the other loud mouths that swear they shoot sub moa all the time and shoot bigger critters than everyone else kept their mouths shut... Good thread as I didn't see idiots like SLM post anything on it.... wink. It was a put up or shut up thread...Good one though..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A couple hunting buds and I have a goal to hit 1 to 1.5 MOA targets out to 500 or 600 yards. Each has their own goal but mine is the color on the target below which is roughly 6x6 at 500 yards +/-. A hit on the 12x12 plate doesn't count unless it's in the color. Others are leaning more towards 1.5 MOA which seems a bit big but like I mentioned each shooter has their own personal goal.

A couple years ago I posted pics shooting off a Kifaru pack using a Kimber 7-08. Since then, I switched from a 6x Leupo to SWFA 4-9x, and 120 TTSX to 162 AMAX. It's been dead nuts out to 500+ ever since I switched the scope and load. 600 is still dang good, but I'm the weak link there and beyond with a rifle this light.

First shot wasn't the most stable and would be considered a fail. Adjusted the pack and fired 4 more in quick succession for acceptable hits.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice shooting Jason.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

My main field position is offhand... wink "Lightish" can also be very subjective. The last rifle I bought is "light" to me, and this is how it shoots offhand at 100 yards. Fired off as fast as I could get back on target with the pump gun.....:

[Linked Image]

Windy conditions and heavy bullets... Rifle does pretty good..

Shooting off packs and sticks is almost as good as a bench rest, but is a field position I guess...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
As much as I like shooting out to 500-600 yards, I think the 100-200 yard shots are tougher.

Last weekend we shot paper plates at 100y. 2 out of 3 of us hit with our first shot offhand. One shooter missed his first shot but was on target after that. We switched to kneeling and everyone made hits. It's a dang humbling experience as hitting wasn't hard but there weren't any real "groups" to brag about.

We've talked about an offhand mover next.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Light rifle >> light trigger would be my rule #1

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Offhand at 100 yards

[Linked Image]

Sitting with bipod at 490 yards

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My regimen goes thusly. Sight in, usually an inch or so high at 100. Shoot @ 200 to verify if 200 is available. All from bags. Go out and find a white rock or some other target somewhere around 200. Shoot from a field position between kneeling and standing while steadying against something, ie. a tree, etc. if I'm still good, I go hunting. I don't waste ammo on measuring groups at this point. Targets are smaller than a volleyball. A hit is good. A miss and I go back to the bench and start over?

At my age, I try to avoid prone and sitting, because it is hard to get up. I admit that I cheat. I use anything solid available to lean against or rest the rifle on. Nothing there, I revert to the sling. Up to now, I do OK, but I sometimes pass a shot when in doubt.

Edit: One other thing. I use a good air gun to hone my off hand. It helps a lot!

Good hunting,

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 01/10/16.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
JT: An air rifle for off-hand sounds like a great idea to me. What do you use? Does it have a decent trigger? thanks

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
"field positions", all rifles 6.5lbs or less scoped:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
a few more.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
westernmassman, Mine is a Weiraugh 55MM. .17 cal.,top of the line barrel break thirty years ago, with a super excellent trigger. It was touted as the premier barrel break target rifle at the time I bought it. It came with match grade receiver/aperture sights. I got a Burris Mini-4X PA scope for it. Tuning up for hunting season, I installed the glass. I could shoot it in the garage or house when I bought it. Our present home is a little short of 10 meters inside, except in the bedroom wing, but the garage is super deep. It was not all that expensive then.

I'm not really an air gun enthusiast. I looked to an expert at the time, told him what I wanted to do, and he recommended the rifle and scope. I think my purchase was more luck than skill on my part.

Best,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
JCM -

Those are the best looking targets

AND the most important!! wink cool

I have targets with groups and data

My practice shooting involves Qt oil bottles, gallon milk jugs, anti freeze jugs, etc. all filled with water.

Unlike some who BRAG about all their rifles/shooting/bullets etc. I have many pics of game I've shot. And that's the most important to me. --BTW I've posted quite a few on the 'fire'.

In all my years of hunting I've only seen 2 Bobcats w/o any opportunity for a shot. Kudos to you.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
In 2013, while on a wilderness elk hunt in Wyoming, my guide called in a nice 6x6. I was sitting on a rock outcropping with nothing in front of me.

The bull came in at a run, and either saw me or smelled me, and made an about face, and started out of the meadow, the same way he came in.

His fatal mistake was stopping broadside at about 150 yds and I nailed him with an off hand shot with my Kimber Montana in 300 WSM with 180 gr Barnes TTSX hand loads.

Both the elk and the shot will stick in my mind for many years to come.

donsm70

Last edited by donsm70; 01/11/16.

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Some pics.....first cat was only 85-90yds, but was at a good lope across a narrow opening. Might be best/luckiest offhand I've made. That deer was 212yds with a light gun, side braced on a sapling.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have fired lots of bipod / prone 1 1/4" to 2" three shot groups at 300 yards with a Savage chambered in .257 Wea with my non-trigger hand under the back of the stock. Even a 3" group is disappointing.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The more contact I have with the GROUND, the better. I tip my hat to those who can shoot tiny groups from their hind legs.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
All I usually shoot from is field positions unless working up a load. I have a down vest that I carry with me always. I rest the rifle on my pack and use this down vest rolled up in its small bag as a rear rest in the prone position. This setup works very well out to 800 yards or so which is the load maximum.

I shot this buck this year with this setup. First shot behind the shoulder at 515. Was still on his feet so I put another one in him real fast. All I had was neck and I centerpunched it.

The key to being able to shoot from field positions IME is to know exactly how you can hold the rifle securely the quickest because lots of times you gotta go fast. I can get on a deer prone in this setup in mere seconds as sometimes that is how much time you have.

[Linked Image]

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
252 members (300_savage, 1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 41 invisible), 2,184 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,639
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.