Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just noticed on the Kimber website they indicate the Montana now comes with a threaded barrel. I'm hoping this is a misprint. Can anybody confirm this? I'm in the market for another and not really liking the idea of a threaded barrel.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
BP-B6

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You are correct, all of the 2016 Montana's are threaded.

Also of note, they added the 6.5 Creedmoor to the line. They added the 22-250 as well, but they twisted it 1 n 14". IMO, that was a major screw up.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The threaded barrel is also a major screw up.

First a shiny, plated trigger, then an aluminum trigger guard, now a threaded barrel.

I've bought the last new Kimber's I'll own, and I doubt anyone is a bigger fan...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Threads are easy to get rid of. About $60 bucks for a cut and crown. .5in loss is no biggie.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Really having a tough time understanding all the angst over a threaded barrel. Last I checked, I think 34 states have made it legal to hunt with a suppresor and despite how unpopular they are here, muzzle brakes are extremely popular as well. There's even a thread protector for those don't want to put anything on their barrel. The market is changing, Kimber is supplying their customers with what they want.

David

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So for a tiny minority that want something threaded on the barrel, the majority of us that don't get to pay for that threading, or pay to have it removed while losing barrel length?

Seems if someone really wants a threaded barrel they should pay to have it done, not me to have it put there or removed...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Brad
So for a tiny minority that want something threaded on the barrel, the majority of us that don't get to pay for that threading, or pay to have it removed?

Seems if someone really wants a threaded barrel they should pay to have it done, not me.

Hate to break it to you Brad, but you're the tiny minority.

David

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The expense and paperwork to obtain a suppressor is something I'd never do.
According to my lgs, if you take the suppressed rifle on a lower 48 trip, you'd better know which states allow its possession as you travel.
It does nothing for the looks other than giving it a weight forward feel. I also see suppressed rifles as something the anti's can work on to repeal.
I really question how many requests Kimber got for a threaded barrel. It may rather be a gamble starting with someone from within the company.
The market will soon pass judgment.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Thinking of purchasing a 270, but if only threaded barrels are available, I won't be buying one....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Its not clear from their website if all Montana's will come with a muzzle break as a companion to the threaded blank. The new feature will surely add cost to the product.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Thinking of purchasing a 270, but if only threaded barrels are available, I won't be buying one....

There likely will be inventory in pretty good numbers around the country for awhile.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm 47, don't own a single rifle with a threaded barrel. I have a couple of younger (mid 20's) hunting buddies. Their rifles have threaded barrels or are getting sent to gunsmiths for threading, they are putting in the paper work for their suppressors. The market is changing....

David

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well its a bold move - I"ll give 'em that. As I said, the market will eventually decide what survives and what fails.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Originally Posted by Poconojack

There likely will be inventory in pretty good numbers around the country for awhile.

Kimber still has inventory. They've designated their inventory list with 2015 or 2016. I'd say it will be a while before many threads barrel rifles are circulating.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
So if they are threaded, I'm sure they'll come with thread protectors?

I wouldn't mind a montana that I had the option to screw a brake on for. (Wife)

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Montana is a utility rifle and not a beautiful blued rifle with a nice wood stock. I personally see the threaded barrel as a plus. There is absolutely no downside to the threaded barrel as it only expands the usability of the rifle. If it is about looks, a stainless Montana is not gonna win a beauty contest either way. Simply leave the thread protector on and shoot it if you have no desire of using it.

Pieter

Last edited by m77; 01/11/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Canazes9
So for a tiny minority that want something threaded on the barrel, the majority of us that don't get to pay for that threading, or pay to have it removed?

Seems if someone really wants a threaded barrel they should pay to have it done, not me.

David

LOL, what a ridiculous over-statement...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Canazes9

David

LOL, what a ridiculous over-statement...

Hang in there, Brad.

"....you're the tiny minority" is just another way of saying, "I want a suppressor, so....so....so.....so.....so... so does everyone else.... Yeah, that's it. I win". laugh

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
grin

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
In my opinion the ones wanting the threads will be the tiny minority. I personally wouldn't buy another one if it comes with a threaded barrel.

Last edited by 257Deland; 01/11/16.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
230 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 25 invisible), 1,857 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,800
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.