Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just noticed on the Kimber website they indicate the Montana now comes with a threaded barrel. I'm hoping this is a misprint. Can anybody confirm this? I'm in the market for another and not really liking the idea of a threaded barrel.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
BP-B6

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You are correct, all of the 2016 Montana's are threaded.

Also of note, they added the 6.5 Creedmoor to the line. They added the 22-250 as well, but they twisted it 1 n 14". IMO, that was a major screw up.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The threaded barrel is also a major screw up.

First a shiny, plated trigger, then an aluminum trigger guard, now a threaded barrel.

I've bought the last new Kimber's I'll own, and I doubt anyone is a bigger fan...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Threads are easy to get rid of. About $60 bucks for a cut and crown. .5in loss is no biggie.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Really having a tough time understanding all the angst over a threaded barrel. Last I checked, I think 34 states have made it legal to hunt with a suppresor and despite how unpopular they are here, muzzle brakes are extremely popular as well. There's even a thread protector for those don't want to put anything on their barrel. The market is changing, Kimber is supplying their customers with what they want.

David

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So for a tiny minority that want something threaded on the barrel, the majority of us that don't get to pay for that threading, or pay to have it removed while losing barrel length?

Seems if someone really wants a threaded barrel they should pay to have it done, not me to have it put there or removed...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Brad
So for a tiny minority that want something threaded on the barrel, the majority of us that don't get to pay for that threading, or pay to have it removed?

Seems if someone really wants a threaded barrel they should pay to have it done, not me.

Hate to break it to you Brad, but you're the tiny minority.

David

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The expense and paperwork to obtain a suppressor is something I'd never do.
According to my lgs, if you take the suppressed rifle on a lower 48 trip, you'd better know which states allow its possession as you travel.
It does nothing for the looks other than giving it a weight forward feel. I also see suppressed rifles as something the anti's can work on to repeal.
I really question how many requests Kimber got for a threaded barrel. It may rather be a gamble starting with someone from within the company.
The market will soon pass judgment.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Thinking of purchasing a 270, but if only threaded barrels are available, I won't be buying one....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Its not clear from their website if all Montana's will come with a muzzle break as a companion to the threaded blank. The new feature will surely add cost to the product.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Thinking of purchasing a 270, but if only threaded barrels are available, I won't be buying one....

There likely will be inventory in pretty good numbers around the country for awhile.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm 47, don't own a single rifle with a threaded barrel. I have a couple of younger (mid 20's) hunting buddies. Their rifles have threaded barrels or are getting sent to gunsmiths for threading, they are putting in the paper work for their suppressors. The market is changing....

David

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well its a bold move - I"ll give 'em that. As I said, the market will eventually decide what survives and what fails.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

There likely will be inventory in pretty good numbers around the country for awhile.

Kimber still has inventory. They've designated their inventory list with 2015 or 2016. I'd say it will be a while before many threads barrel rifles are circulating.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
So if they are threaded, I'm sure they'll come with thread protectors?

I wouldn't mind a montana that I had the option to screw a brake on for. (Wife)

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Montana is a utility rifle and not a beautiful blued rifle with a nice wood stock. I personally see the threaded barrel as a plus. There is absolutely no downside to the threaded barrel as it only expands the usability of the rifle. If it is about looks, a stainless Montana is not gonna win a beauty contest either way. Simply leave the thread protector on and shoot it if you have no desire of using it.

Pieter

Last edited by m77; 01/11/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Canazes9
So for a tiny minority that want something threaded on the barrel, the majority of us that don't get to pay for that threading, or pay to have it removed?

Seems if someone really wants a threaded barrel they should pay to have it done, not me.

David

LOL, what a ridiculous over-statement...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

David

LOL, what a ridiculous over-statement...

Hang in there, Brad.

"....you're the tiny minority" is just another way of saying, "I want a suppressor, so....so....so.....so.....so... so does everyone else.... Yeah, that's it. I win". laugh

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
grin

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
In my opinion the ones wanting the threads will be the tiny minority. I personally wouldn't buy another one if it comes with a threaded barrel.

Last edited by 257Deland; 01/11/16.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I could care less either way. Not really sure why it's an issue. Oh wait, it's the internet. Everything's an issue.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I don't see the issue. If you don't need it, leave the thread protector on and forget about it. I probably costs Kimber next to nothing to add the threads during the manufacturing. The market is changing. People don't want to damage their hearing and create unnecessary noise. The newest generation of silencers are significantly lighter and shorter. The gun manufacturers are also starting to make and market their own cans. In 10 years, a hunting rifle without a factory thread will be the anomaly.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm stunned to read people would not buy a stainless/synthetic rifle due to its having a threaded barrel.

This is a guess but I would think it's not only due to the suppressor crowd but also a lot of people wanting to brake their ultralights.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I also see suppressed rifles as something the anti's can work on to repeal.

Huh?

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to create a shi# storm.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Higbean
I could care less either way. Not really sure why it's an issue. Oh wait, it's the internet. Everything's an issue.

LOL.... You probalby nailed it squarely.

I also could care less either way. If I find a threaded barrel Montana that I want for other reasons such as cartridge choice, the thread protector will remain in place and essentially be ignored.

But since this is the internet, someone who has or wants one tries to tell everyone else that they need one too. It reminds me of Obama's mind set/"persuasive powers" in that what he believes in is what everyone else should believe in. Just ask him.

We all should all be able to decide for ourselves what we want and don't want without helpful influence from total strangers. If Kimber wants to thread barrels, its no skin off of my nose one way or the other, but I don't have the final answer for others nor do I don't plan to push it on them.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Has nobody else seen what can happen to internal bore dimensions when a small diameter muzzle is threaded?

Do you believe Kimber is chucking up the barrels in a lathe and indicating off the bore as set up to threading?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by mathman
Has nobody else seen what can happen to internal bore dimensions when a small diameter muzzle is threaded?

Do you believe Kimber is chucking up the barrels in a lathe and indicating off the bore as set up to threading?

There is no doubt that how its done might be an issue, but it is easily found and can be corrected very easily with the loss of about 1/2"+ of barrel length.

If I buy one of the threaded Montana rifles, I'll wait to see if its an issue in real life shooting before getting too excited about it on the way in the door of the gun shop.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I was thinking about the same....

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I found a bargain on the Mtn Ascent last year and it has the threaded muzzle/thimble and brake. I tried the brake at the range and then installed the thimble and hunted with it with no further thought......can't be any uglier than tape...

I'll have to check out the bore for damage but it really shoots very well.

I hadn't looked at the new Kimber 2016 catalog but to build the 22-250 in 1:14 is a screw up IMO.....

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Brad

I doubt it adds much cost....about 15 seconds on a CNC machine

LC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not personally interested in a threaded barrel, but... might be interested in swapping out my TG for aluminum. Are they selling it as a separate part?

To me, the upgrades to a Montana that I'd like to see, maybe as a package, let's call it the Montana FW Elite:

Ti bolt handle;
AL triggerguard;
A coating of some sort, the damn things RUST;
Some cool factory paint job options.

A threaded muzzle didn't make the list. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Given that bores wander and often the OD of the barrel isn't concentric for [bleep] with the bore at the muzzle, they've gotta be doing something. If they are profiling the barrels between centers with the bore at the muzzle on one center, they could thread the muzzle on that setup and nail it. I doubt that's how it's done though given how many factory muzzles are off at the muzzle relative to the OD.

Indexing in a "thing" to decent tolerances can happen FAST with an operator who's practiced at it. If the only consideration is concentricity right at the muzzle, I.E. you aren't trying to really nail it axially to the ten-thousandth both at the opening AND a couple inches into the bore, like in chambering, I could dial a muzzle in on my 3-jaw Bison w/Set-Tru in a couple minutes to under .001". Same with a 4-jaw and it might be even faster depending on the 4-jaw. I wouldn't indicate off the bore either in a production situation, I'd have a set of extremely precise bronze slugs that fit into the bore and indicate off the OD of that.

I think your concern about stresses induced by the threading is a valid one but I certainly can't quantify it. Can you, mathman?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My primary hunting and varmint rifles are all threaded and carry suppressors. I plan on hunting with a suppressor forevermore, unless I book a hunt somewhere where they are not legal or if I'm packing something like a Shiloh Sharps.

That being said, a 22-24" thin barrel (such as those on the Kimbers) is not something I want to hang a suppressor from. The length when suppressed is ungainly and really screws with balance, plus the heavy suppressor weight hung off a light barrel won't do any favors for zero retention if switching from suppressed to unsuppressed.

So the threaded full length Montana barrels don't appeal to me in the least - if I buy another it will be chopped down to maintain a manageable length when suppressed.

I've had one Kimber MT cut down to 17" and threaded, and it's worked great. Another will be receiving the same treatment before long. Overall length with a 7" suppressor is the same as if the rifle had a 23.5" barrel, which is about perfect IMO (17+7-.6 for thread overlap +.1 for adapter length).

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I should add that the threaded barrel is certainly not going to stop me from buying a Kimber.

Does anyone know what threads they are using? 1/2x28 is mighty thin on a factory 84M barrel at 22 or 24" and doesn't leave much shoulder, so I'm wondering if they pressed on a shoulder or belled the muzzle out to a larger contour (ala Rem Model 7 300 Blackout) to fit a larger thread?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

I think your concern about stresses induced by the threading is a valid one but I certainly can't quantify it. Can you, mathman?

I've seen video where the opening of the ID was demonstrated with close fitting precision pin gauges. On the small OD threaded samples the close fitting pin slipped in the muzzle and always stopped at the end of the thread seaction.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I've seen video where the opening of the ID was demonstrated with close fitting precision pin gauges. On the small OD threaded samples the close fitting pin slipped in the muzzle and always stopped at the end of the thread seaction.

So it's a "deeply recessed crown"! It's a FEATURE! grin

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
My primary hunting and varmint rifles are all threaded and carry suppressors. I plan on hunting with a suppressor forevermore, unless I book a hunt somewhere where they are not legal or if I'm packing something like a Shiloh Sharps.

That being said, a 22-24" thin barrel (such as those on the Kimbers) is not something I want to hang a suppressor from. The length when suppressed is ungainly and really screws with balance, plus the heavy suppressor weight hung off a light barrel won't do any favors for zero retention if switching from suppressed to unsuppressed.

So the threaded full length Montana barrels don't appeal to me in the least - if I buy another it will be chopped down to maintain a manageable length when suppressed.

I've had one Kimber MT cut down to 17" and threaded, and it's worked great. Another will be receiving the same treatment before long. Overall length with a 7" suppressor is the same as if the rifle had a 23.5" barrel, which is about perfect IMO (17+7-.6 for thread overlap +.1 for adapter length).

Interesting post. I've been considering suppressing my 84L Montana. I didn't want to cut the barrel. Initial thoughts were to place a light Harvester on it.

If my goal is a light suppressor with minimal barrel cutting, what suppressor would you suggest?

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
In my eyes, the threaded barrel and suppressor combo is great for a rifle used in a lot of hunting scenarios, but not on a rifle being strapped to my pack and beat around the mountains.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by brymoore

Interesting post. I've been considering suppressing my 84L Montana. I didn't want to cut the barrel. Initial thoughts were to place a light Harvester on it.

If my goal is a light suppressor with minimal barrel cutting, what suppressor would you suggest?

There are quite a few goods ones out there these days, such as the Silencerco Omega and Thunderbeast Ultra 7, which fall into that ~7" and 11-14 ounce range. I've heard the Harvester has had some issues with the aluminum tube longevity with high pressure rounds, as well as the potential to dent up the tube from a fall or what have you, potentially dislodging the baffles.

Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
In my eyes, the threaded barrel and suppressor combo is great for a rifle used in a lot of hunting scenarios, but not on a rifle being strapped to my pack and beat around the mountains.

I haven't had an issue. Loctite the can on and use a suppressor cover, that way the can stays put and has protection.....it's much less of an issue to worry about than the scope.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Threads or no threads, it's still a great rifle. If I were concerned about threads, I'd buy the Montana that I want now, while they are still uncut. I will, however, be trying my can on my new mountain ascent when it arrives. Not all of these lightweights make it to the mountains. We have "hills", at best, in the piney woods of East Texas. 😃

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's one thing not mentioned yet:

A threaded barrel lets you mount any flashider or brake.

That allows you to put a rifle muzzle down on your floorboards and preserves your crown from damage. Got a $23 KAK on both the CTR 260 and son's 16-in. TC Contender .300 BO when the Harvester ain't on.

Threaded Montana? I wants one!

Had been trying to figure out how to scrounge up the money for an Adirondack, this'll make things a bit easier.

Be nice if they just offered Montana carbines, too.

As for the .22/250, an 18-inch 8-twist threaded Montana would approach Tennessee game gun Shibumi...

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 01/12/16.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
What would the overall length of a suppressor equipped 84M?

Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did the barrel profile or muzzle OD change with the new threaded models?

Is a non threaded Montana barrel thick enough for 7/16-28 threads?

Last edited by wareagle700; 05/14/16.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What would the overall length of a suppressor equipped 84M?

Would depend on the length of the suppressor. Figure 46" + length of the suppressor.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Bought a Mountain Ascent .280AI a year ago, removed the brake, installed the cap as I removed it from the box and scoped it with Talley QDs, silver and finally, a Leupy silver 3.5x10x40.

Running 160NPs over RL-26 at 3000 fps/mv and good groups, don't care if the threads are there or not.

Packed it some in steep BC mountains last year and I LOVE this rig, wish I had had it 50 years ago!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To each his own.......me? I'm glad I got mine before the threaded barrels.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lastround
To each his own.......me? I'm glad I got mine before the threaded barrels.

+1

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not seeing the problem. Could come in handy for the kids.

Yup.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I want to see a Montana with a flash hider. That knurled thread protector is fugly.

Last edited by Backroads; 05/15/16.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I want a bipod that screws on the end. That would be killer!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Will make a nice attachment point for a bayonet lug. Handy for finishing off deer and communists.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
If you use a heavy enough bullet, you just stack communists up on the bayonet and shoot em off. Great idea!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When maximum communist penetrating ability is necessary, savvy capitalists reach for Barnes bullets.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Only peasants complain about threaded barrels.....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Fugly, happy that I have an older model....

Hunter S. Thompson
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If I were to suppress a Kimber, or any other factory rifle, I wouldn't trust the factory threads to be concentric with the bore and would have it cut off and re-threaded.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

David

No he is not. Nobody in my hunt camp likes the idea of a threaded muzzle hunting rifle at all.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Other than adding a little to the cost of the rifle, why is a threaded muzzle such a disappointment?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by whitebread
If I were to suppress a Kimber, or any other factory rifle, I wouldn't trust the factory threads to be concentric with the bore and would have it cut off and re-threaded.

I've only shot my suppressor on about a dozen factory threaded rifles.... without any issue at all.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

I've only shot my suppressor on about a dozen factory threaded rifles.... without any issue at all.

I guess I play it safer than you.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I will not buy a rifle without a threaded barrel. Getting into suppressors is not a hassle...just a long wait. I know guys who spend much more on scopes than I have in suppressors. Makes shooting much more fun. I'm glad to see more manufacturers are getting into the threaded game. If I don't want to shoot suppressed, just screw the thread protector on it.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

I guess I play it safer than you.

ohhhh.... you're one of those guys who walks around with a helmet on....

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Which suppressor are you using?

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
and did you bother to check alignment before chopping off those pesky factory threads?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.300 Black Out Kimber with an 18" barrel suppressed

Now that's my kind of back pack elk hunting rifle

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by tedthorn
.300 Black Out Kimber with an 18" barrel suppressed

Now that's my kind of back pack elk hunting rifle

Whatever works.

Dave

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
So by a 6.5lb rifle with provision to screw a weight on the end of it? That is exactly how stupid the buying public and gun manufactures have become.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Yes..... because that 12oz serves a purpose. If you don't own/shoot/hunt a suppressor..... then you have NO idea what you're missing.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
So by a 6.5lb rifle with provision to screw a weight on the end of it? That is exactly how stupid the buying public and gun manufactures have become.

Yeah.

A brake or can on a rifle. Crazy.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Brad,

Say the word and I'll send you out one of these for your new Kimber.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/19...nihilator-1-2-28-thread-ar-15-parkerized

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I'm gonna need pics though...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I personally could care less what the rifle looks like with the thread protector. It's a tool! Not a work of art. Last week on Kodiak I used my Montana to anchor a tarp over a bear hide over night in a storm to keep the tarp from flying away.

The only bummer about the threaded barrel truly is the increase in MSRP. To get worked up on the aesthetics of a hunting rifle like a Montana seems silly to me.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Yes..... because that 12oz serves a purpose. If you don't own/shoot/hunt a suppressor..... then you have NO idea what you're missing.

Yes I do. 12 ozs.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
There is pending legislation to remove suppressors from the NFA. One will buy them just like a firearm...no more $200 tax or federal waiting period... If that happens they will be on a LOT of guns....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJM
There is pending legislation to remove suppressors from the NFA. One will buy them just like a firearm...no more $200 tax or federal waiting period... If that happens they will be on a LOT of guns....

Bob

If and only if that happens the price for a suppressor will fall.

They were sub $200 in South Africa in 2014

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I hope it passes. I'm currently awaiting the papers to come back on three. I understand the thought process too.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Yes I do. 12 ozs.

And a lot of brain cells....

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Yes I do. 12 ozs.

Wow you're a tough guy. Please tell me then how a light weight mountain rifle (and yes some of us hunt Elk, Moose, and sheep in the mountains) benefits so greatly from a 12 oz can screwed to the end of it? Not to mention the added length.

Last edited by pathfinder76; 05/15/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
I personally could care less what the rifle looks like with the thread protector. It's a tool! Not a work of art. Last week on Kodiak I used my Montana to anchor a tarp over a bear hide over night in a storm to keep the tarp from flying away.

The only bummer about the threaded barrel truly is the increase in MSRP. To get worked up on the aesthetics of a hunting rifle like a Montana seems silly to me.

Oh yeah!!!!

I found a use for the threaded barrel....

Take the end cap off...drop said tarp/grommet over the barrel and sinch it down tight with the nut!!

The knurled knob will probably hold pink tape better too

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I'm worried the knurls will hold tape too good and effect accuracy. Better get JeffO on this pronto.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Please tell me then how a light weight mountain rifle (and yes some of us hunt Elk, Moose, and sheep in the mountains) benefits so greatly from a 12 oz can screwed to the end of it? Not to mention the added length.

I'll try, as this argument always baffles me. Hunter A wants to use a suppressor. Hunter A wants a light weight rifle on which to use his suppressor. Hunter A only owns 8 lb plus guns. Hunter A decides to buy a 6 pound gun for his suppressor. Hunter A now owns and hunts the mountains with a 6 lb, 12 oz setup instead of an 8 lb, 12 oz setup. All other benefits Hunter A seeks from using a suppressor are still in tact.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 05/15/16.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I no longer shoot for recreation frequently. My hunting country is almost depleted of prairie dogs and there are no other colony dwelling targets.

If I shot targets regularly or if I were shooting volumes of the above mentioned pests, I would be all over a surpressor. For that type shooting, a Montana is not even close to first choice.

I'm old, well stocked with all types of firearms, and would be open to a can on a short barreled rifle - in fact my 16 1/4" Contender .223 actually screams for one - but, not on my 24" FN. I don't even like 30" shotguns with pump or semi actions. Too long! Doubles, ok.

Perhaps I need to go modern however, my ears are already damaged. You younger guys are on to something, if you can live with the looks.

Best,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Folks just don't know what they don't know.

Especially the spelling impaired; I gonna buy a threaded Kimber that weighs far less than 6.5 lbs BY using the Internet.

Shooting critters and steel targets suppressed is one of the joys of my life.

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Looks like a real floor mat eater!

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Yes I do. 12 ozs.

Wow you're a tough guy. Please tell me then how a light weight mountain rifle (and yes some of us hunt Elk, Moose, and sheep in the mountains) benefits so greatly from a 12 oz can screwed to the end of it? Not to mention the added length.

A Montucky with a suppressor is is still lighter than an un-suppressed Rem 700.

I've missed a couple critters in my day.... ones I wish I'd have had another poke at..... can would have helped there....

There is almost no reaction to the suppressed shot by critters.... they have no idea what just happened....

Just because you've never used one.... or don't see the use for one.... or theoritically don't like the length.... doesn't mean it's a bad idea.... it just means you like to make ignorant comments about schitt you know nothing about.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Yes I do. 12 ozs.

I've missed a couple critters in my day.... ones I wish I'd have had another poke at..... can would have helped there....

There is almost no reaction to the suppressed shot by critters.... they have no idea what just happened....

Just because you've never used one.... or don't see the use for one.... or theoritically don't like the length.... doesn't mean it's a bad idea.... it just means you like to make ignorant comments about schitt you know nothing about.

I never thought about those that can't hit what they are shooting at. Good point. Thanks for the clarification.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Two kinds of hunters in this world.... those who've missed.... and liars.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Two kinds of hunters in this world.... those who've missed.... and liars.

Or those that actually hunt.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I had no idea such an anti-suppressor/thread faction existed.

Dave

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Peasants..... trying to convince themselves they're not missing anything.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

I could care less about the suppressor. Fill your boots. But to do it under the guise of the overwhelming hunting majority is, well, asinine.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Yes I do. 12 ozs.

The few suppressed rifles I shot felt like there was a significant reduction in recoil also (beyond just adding an additional 12 oz of weight).

David

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There is a reduction in recoil.... but WTF do I know.... apparently I've never hunted a day in my life and can't hit schitt with a rifle....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

In the past several years, legal suppressor production has exploded. In 2014 the NFRTR listed 571,150 registered silencers while information released earlier this year showed 792,282– a growth of some 39 percent. The numbers of NFA-compliant suppressors currently listed nearly eclipse the total number of select-fire weapons, short-barreled rifles, and short-barreled shotguns, combined.

http://www.guns.com/2015/10/22/bill-introduced-to-remove-suppressors-from-nfa-regulation/

David

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Dave

I could care less about the suppressor. Fill your boots. But to do it under the guise of the overwhelming hunting majority is, well, asinine.

I think the majority of the gun community wants a suppressor.

I've never met anybody that didn't.

Dave

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

The few suppressed rifles I shot felt like there was a significant reduction in recoil also (beyond just adding an additional 12 oz of weight).

David

The adaptor that my can threads onto is a muzzle brake. You just can't see it with the suppressor attached.

Dave

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Most of the gun community also hunt from a stationary blind, their truck, and pack $500 package rifles.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I like to add an in-line compensator to direct some noise away from the shooter, and protect the crown from the floorboards. Threads are fine with me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most of the gun community also hunt from a stationary blind, their truck, and pack $500 package rifles.

Guilty as charged on count 1, but my Package Rifle was put together by me for about $3K-ish.

My buddy and I dropped 6 antler less deer and a big bobcat on a control hunt in January with seven shots.

Cat was at 150 all deer 200-350 w CTR .260, Leupold Mark 4, Silencerco Harvester & Fed Premium 120 BTs.

Animals kept coming because there was no thunder. Fairly steady shooting for 50 mins. Pics elsewhere on this forum.

Dogshooter & 'Flave are right; nothing wrong w suppressed. Good suppressors are going for no more than $350 U.S. in Europe because they're socially acceptable, cuts down noise pollution and hearing loss.

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Open offer - if you own one of these new Montanas and just can't stomach the threaded barrel I will buy it from you for a price that just stings a little. I will then slap a Silencerco ASR muzzle brake/suppressor mount on it and run my Omega can with blatant disregard for all things traditional bolt action holy. And not give-a-sheit the whole time grin

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The expense and paperwork to obtain a suppressor is something I'd never do.
According to my lgs, if you take the suppressed rifle on a lower 48 trip, you'd better know which states allow its possession as you travel.
It does nothing for the looks other than giving it a weight forward feel. I also see suppressed rifles as something the anti's can work on to repeal.
I really question how many requests Kimber got for a threaded barrel. It may rather be a gamble starting with someone from within the company.
The market will soon pass judgment.

All gun owners here in New Jersey are suppressed.

Last edited by Bushmaster1313; 05/16/16.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My 6.5 Creed is threaded for one of these cans. I think they make sense for volume shooting, targets, varmints,sett;ed areas, where noise is an issue.

For example,I'd look into one for woodchuck shooting.

But I'd never try to get one on a plane on a traveling hunt. Not worth the hassle for a couple shots at BG.

I seriously doubt you are going to see these things on rifles of any overwhelming majority of BG hunters nation wide. As usual there will be a few gun geeks who do it, but that's all,unless mandated by law somehow.

And that 12 oz suppressor will be in addition to....2pounds of scope and mounts, and another 16 oz of bipod. How much stuff does anyone want to hang on a 6 pd. rifle?

Sounds like a great way to make a nice, light Montana less attractive.

I'll pass unless my Creedmoor dictates otherwise.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I agree Bob.... to an extent. I don't hunt in Nazi states, and it's not like a suppressor is a Class III FIREARM.... they're a Class III DEVICE.... therefore the transportation rules are far more lax.

I don't think the "majority" of hunters will ever use them.... but there's more and more every day. Legislation is headed the direction of vastly increased freedoms for suppressor use. Once you shoot with someone who's using one, you realize what a huge difference they make.... and can truly respect why their use is ENCOURAGED in any other place where you can legally own a gun.

Only people who don't own a suppressor.... can justify all the reasons not to own, or hunt, with one. Once you own one, you realize ALL the benefits.... and you look for a way to have it on everything. I'll give up 4", 5", hell 8" of barrel length if I have to now..... as long as I can thread the muffler on the end.

Once the can is attached the rifles are typically more accurate, more pleasant to shoot, and FAR less disruptive to the "environment" if you will. All good things.... both in volume shooting.... and BG hunting.

There are all kinds of videos out there of guys in New Zeland and such.... killing Tahr and Chammios high in the Alps (country that makes the Rockies look like the Pallouse). The vast majority of those guys are hinting 16"-20" rifles with suppressors.... doesn't seem to be a hindrance to them.

My dad always used to say: "You can't find out if something works.... by not doing it.".... seems appropriate to this topic.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
DS your father was right. the noise reduction alone would help keep a lot of ranges back here open that were closed due to noise pollution.

i do think it interesting that a lot of legislatures are open to the concept.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Legislation is headed the direction of vastly increased freedoms for suppressor use.

Here in CO, or in general?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Me too. Guilty of charge one. I hunt from a blind, either stationary or improvised, overlooking a feeder, food plot, water, or game trail. The latter is my favorite. I have a spot that overlooks a white tail super highway. I will be not far from either a truck or my Kawasaki Mule. I don't walk very far any more and not even up much of a hill, must less a mountain. I have another spot to park and ambush mulies.

As to charge two, forget it. Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. $500 will come close to covering the scope and mounts on most of them, but not the rifles. Even my Marlin Glenfield wears a nice 3X Leupold.

I'm open to a surpressor on some rifles, but not on others. Seems to me that it would make a truck gun cumbersome.

There were some law enforcement uses for cans and tranquilizer guns in my previous life.

Good hunting,

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
New ZEALAND has rougher country than the Rockies?????

New Zealand's highest mountain is about 12000 ft. above sea level and the Canadian Rockies higher peaks are 11,000-12,000+. In addition, Canada, is FAR "wilder" and the climate much harsher than NZ and they have NO dangerous animals.

Sooooo, I tend to doubt that remark.

Last edited by SNAP; 05/17/16.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
My 6.5 Creed is threaded for one of these cans. I think they make sense for volume shooting, targets, varmints,sett;ed areas, where noise is an issue.

For example,I'd look into one for woodchuck shooting.

But I'd never try to get one on a plane on a traveling hunt. Not worth the hassle for a couple shots at BG.

I seriously doubt you are going to see these things on rifles of any overwhelming majority of BG hunters nation wide. As usual there will be a few gun geeks who do it, but that's all,unless mandated by law somehow.

And that 12 oz suppressor will be in addition to....2pounds of scope and mounts, and another 16 oz of bipod. How much stuff does anyone want to hang on a 6 pd. rifle?

Sounds like a great way to make a nice, light Montana less attractive.

I'll pass unless my Creedmoor dictates otherwise.

Yep, each to his own, but, I do not want an additional 12 oz of ANYTHING when hunting in the BC mountains and try to cut weight anywhere I can.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If you guys would learn how to hunt from the road, you could bring lots of things that weigh 12oz.

Lots and lots.

Dave

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by SNAP

New Zealand's highest mountain is about 12000 ft. above sea level and the Canadian Rockies higher peaks are 11,000-12,000+. In addition, Canada, is FAR "wilder" and the climate much harsher than NZ and they have NO dangerous animals.

It ain't about how high.... it's about how fast you gotta get high! The southern alps are as rugged as any "hunting country" on the planet.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by SNAP

It ain't about how high.... it's about how fast you gotta get high! The southern alps are as rugged as any "hunting country" on the planet.

Hell, the Mt. Baker Wilderness in WA is way rougher than anything I've experienced at 10,000-12,000 feet here in CO.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The BC Coast Mountains and the Purcells-Selkirks of SE BC will match or usually beat ANY place in North America. I have friends from NZ here and they are awestruck by how tough, wet, cold and steep the country is.

I have spent my life in BC's and Alberta's mountains, alone for months on end without breaks and in temps to -40; NZ is not nearly as harsh and rescue is much closer if you get into the schitt.

Whatever, mountains are all good, could not imagine living in "flat" country.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If you guys would learn how to hunt from the road, you could bring lots of things that weigh 12oz.

Lots and lots.

Dave

That's true! LOL!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
This definitely doesn't suck....

[Linked Image]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If you're gonna hunt near a sandbox, you're gonna need a suppressor.

Dave

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]

No it doesn't

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Does that have a threaded barrel?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I just JB Welded it on the end. How many shots you think it'll last?

Laffin....

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Shoud look into the ASE UTRA SL5i, suppresor, if its available in the states.

Very compact, stainless steel, 12oz, and good finnish quality.

The US in the last 40 years:

Socialism for big corporations and military industrial complex

&

Rugged individualism for the individual.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I just JB Welded it on the end. How many shots you think it'll last?

Laffin....

Never shoot your gun so much it gets hot enough to melt the tactical epoxy off it. That would be bad mmkay...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Been watching this thread to see where folks landed on the suppressor thing. I'm not a fan of a can attached to the end of my barrel - and I've not been persuaded by any of the arguments put forth in this thread. I've handled a couple of rifles with cans and find the balance is wrecked. They feel weird to me - and look the same. I wouldn't put a suppressor on a Montana if you paid me. If that floats your boat, so be it, we can agree to disagree. I think Bobin stated attaching a can is the best way to ruin a perfect mountain rifle - I agree 100%. I also agree with Brad that the previous version of the Montana is superior to the current threaded model. I hate the knurled nut. Anyone have a junker older style in 30-06 they want get rid of?

I've come back to Montana's after having one of the first Montana's in 300 WSM. It was a bit too much in a magnum chambering. After climbing a few mountains, killing a few elk, and determining they aren't bullet proof, I've moved to smaller cartridges in light rifles that didn't need recoil enhancements. A 308, 270, 30-06 with Talley lightweights and a reasonable scope in a Kimber Montana is pretty close to the perfect mountain rifle. I'll probably just suffer through my Montana 270 this fall. I might even be able to shoot it from all field positions without fear of scope eye - it might even kill an elk or two <G>

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Have you shot a suppressed rifle? Just curious.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Higbean
Have you shot a suppressed rifle? Just curious.

This question isn't directed towards me but I have used a suppressor or 2

Bolt gun in South Africa and M4 here in the states.

I like a suppressor but knowing what they cost elsewhere ($200) I can't see myself dropping the money it takes to own one here in the states.

I would love to see the laws change.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
20+ oz scopes and suppressors on a rifle designed for hunts other than going for a small walk out of the back 40. Funny as [bleep].

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Can't ever see myself using a suppressor. To my eye they are ungainly and ruin the lines of a sporting rifle. Then there's the additional weight and length. Kind of like using a copper bore cleaner, have been blasting away with all kind of guns for the last 55+ years and the thought of using anything but Hoppe's and CLR to clean and protect a barrel has never crossed my mind. Guess I'm old school....

Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bearstalker
20+ oz scopes and suppressors on a rifle designed for hunts other than going for a small walk out of the back 40. Funny as [bleep].

Kinda thinking the same things.....not sure what to make of it all. confused

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
20-oz scope I totally get IF a guy is dialing.

Trying to keep an open mind, but I agree, a can on a Kimber seems wonky from here in fuddy-duddy-ville! grin

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Gun pictured above... with the suppressor.... weighs under 8lbs all up, and is the same length as a LA Rem. 700 with a 24" barrel....

Can envy is a stinky cologne....

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
20-oz scope I totally get IF a guy is dialing.

Trying to keep an open mind, but I agree, a can on a Kimber seems wonky from here is fuddy-ville! grin

Much easier to understand.... when you're not a fhugkin' retard....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I understand the appeal, I think. But it looks wonky as HELL and takes some getting used to fo' sho.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Yeah man.... it's ALL about the looks!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Once again.... if you don't own a can.... You shouldn't miss the opportunity to STFU...

LOOKS.... should be the least of your concern. PERFORMANCE is where it's at....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
it's falling on deaf ears, Dog......pun

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

True dat.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Once again.... if you don't own a can.... You shouldn't miss the opportunity to STFU...

LOOKS.... should be the least of your concern. PERFORMANCE is where it's at....

I hear you, I do. Just getting used to the look. Beer can on a twig. smile

Any changes to accuracy?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Every rifle I've put a can on got MORE accurate.... and easier to shoot.

You should try pulling your head out of your ass... and I bet stuff "looks" way better...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Got a question about the can. I'm sure I've worn out the story about my sniper hunting acquaintance and the landowner where these sniper dudes shoot prarie dogs up in the TX Panhandle. Anyway, I shot his Tikka T3 Tactical rifle a couple of months ago, a .308 w/Bushy HDMR wearing a can. It sounded like a .22 going off with virtually zero recoil. Now I wasn't shooting very far at all, mostly just screwing around with a Horus reticle (first I've ever seen), and the suppressor.

Question: I'm assuming this was regular hunting ammo....is this the norm for it to be so noiseless? I was under the impression only subsonic ammo was this quiet when shooting through a can.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You should try pulling your head out of your ass... and I bet stuff "looks" way better...

What are the physics behind better accuracy?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Just a couple of SWAG's, but I'd assume that reduced muzzle blast causes less aerodynamic upset on the base of the bullet as it exits, which means it achieves gyroscopic stability quicker and easier.

I'd also think that the dead weight on the end of the barrel acts as a harmonic buffer, decreasing the amplitude of the sine wave running up and down the barrel at the shot, so tuning your load to be in a node would be easier and less critical.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As Don said dog, the facts are falling upon deaf ears.....

Raider, most of my rifles sound like a .22 rifle when using a can. Reduced recoil which only increases your ability to see your impact. If you're behind your rifle correctly, it hardly moves the rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bellydeep

BD,

While I can't speak for DH, I noticed the increased accuracy also. I think it has to do with less recoil, noise, and muzzle blast.

For me, it's easier to stay on target all though the shot when there is less noise and recoil. Kind of like when you target shoot with a 22 rimfire at say 25-50 yards and it just feels like every shot should go into the same spot when the trigger breaks.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

[Linked Image]

In general, I like it. What barrel length and chambering?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
.300 WSM... 17" barrel. Think .30-06 performance...

I'd like to take credit for it... but it was PG's idea... I was assembling parts to do an 18" barreled 7/08 when this came up.

It balances about 1.5" in front of the front action screw.... which is a bit better than the regular 8400 IME.

Next to a 22" barreled Tikka...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I dig that mucho.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger

For reference.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I'd like to take credit for it... but it was PG's idea... I was assembling parts to do an 18" barreled 7/08 when this came up.

It balances about 1.5" in front of the front action screw.... which is a bit better than the regular 8400 IME.

[Linked Image]

Yep, and could be even shorter with a different can.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by gonzaga

Raider, most of my rifles sound like a .22 rifle when using a can.

Yes. And that's pretty much every chambering for me also.

Going to subsonics is what makes them scary or "Hollywood" quiet.

Dave

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by wareagle700

[Linked Image]

To go shorter, and get equal performance.. you gotta get fatter. Volume is a critical component to suppressor effectiveness. Just like rifle rounds.... there's no replacement for displacement.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I can't believe some of the negative comments on suppressors in this thread. I don't get it and suspect the bulk stems from ignorance or inexperience. But, it leaves more for me. I just submitted paperwork on my fifth.

Last edited by whitebread; 05/22/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wareagle700

[Linked Image]

To go shorter, and get equal performance.. you gotta get fatter. Volume is a critical component to suppressor effectiveness. Just like rifle rounds.... there's no replacement for displacement.

Yep. I have a 22" Tikka .243 with a 6" can. When threaded on, its not but an inch or two longer than a standard hunting rifle. Still sounds like a .22lr.

I know some don't like the idea of added weight but it does make a lightweight gun balance better when shooting offhand. The suppressor also seems to tame the "jump" that tends to open up groups on light rifles. Not saying it's ideal for all hunts, just that it isn't as inconvenient as some like to believe.

Last edited by wareagle700; 05/22/16.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What I liked about a suppressor was shooting rock rabbits in South Africa.

Hardly no if any muzzel lift so bullet impact was easily seen.

After nearly 100 rounds fired I was not at all sore or flinchy.

All with full force 150 grain Sierra GK's from a 30-06

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Few things are more fun than sub-sonics and bunnies from the roost.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
5" cans work pretty well on .308 size cases and smaller.... not as well as full size cans... but they work.

A short barreled .300 is a little different animal... and you should probably be running a .300 RUM rated can... or at least .300 Win rated.

Not all suppressors are created equal... and I know you don't want to believe it.... but size does matter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
5" cans work pretty well on .308 size cases and smaller.... not as well as full size cans... but they work.

A short barreled .300 is a little different animal... and you should probably be running a .300 RUM rated can... or at least .300 Win rated.

Not all suppressors are created equal... and I know you don't want to believe it.... but size does matter.

If that was directed towards me, I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just putting out some more info for those considering.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fugg. Now you guys got me wanting one....

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do it!

Two of my 2nd shift counterparts used my trust as a template, and went to our local gun-enabling emporium a few weeks back and went with .22, .300 Mag and .45 cans at one fell swoop.

Ones already thinking about SBRing an AR receiver before the deadline.

Just Do It!

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Putting money where mouth is; just ordered 2106 threaded .308 Montucky from Whittakers.

They gotta get if first from Kimber, but had .270s and .280 AIs in Owensboro.

I held the course for lighter, shorter and arguably most accurate of three calibers...

Cain't hard wait! grin

[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Here's the 17" threaded Montana in .300 WSM....

Factory 180s at 2825fps... ran it from 300 to 750 today... I think it missed once....

I'm standing 8' from the muzzle in the video, with no hearing protection... directly where you would NOT want to be sans-suppressor. Note A: how quiet it is.... and B: the lack of gnarly recoil normally associated with a 7.5lb .300 Mag....

[video:youtube]7LOlruXAcDo[/video]

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It sounds much louder than a 22, did you have hearing protection?

That is the one reason I am waffling on a highpower suppressor, I don't want to wear hearing protection.

Dave

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Its hard to hear the noise difference with a suppressor on youtube. Until you hear one in person, it's hard to explain. With full powered loads, its not necessarily "quiet" but definitely brings noise down to a hearing friendly level. Any bullet traveling faster than the speed of sound will have the "crack" that you hear. That sound travels with the bullet so there is no way to suppress it. A good way to hear the difference is to pop a round into the dirt a few feet away. The sonic crack is very very short (obviously) so you really get to hear the effects of the can. Its quite impressive the first time you experience it.

Good silencers bring the noise level down below 140Db which is considered "hearing safe" with limited exposure. In other words, you would want ear plugs if you were firing a full magazine from a AR-15 or something like that but a few shots with a bolt action isn't bad at all. Really like a .22lr with high velocity rounds.

Last edited by wareagle700; 05/30/16.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by RDW
It sounds much louder than a 22, did you have hearing protection?

That is the one reason I am waffling on a highpower suppressor, I don't want to wear hearing protection.

Like I said... I'm standing in the worst possible place to be when a gun goes off. I had no hearing protection on, neither did the shooter. I didn't shoot it without the can... but I bet the muzzle blast from a 17" .300 mag would be pretty obnoxious. My buddy had never been around a suppressor... he said: "it sounds like a pissed-off .22".... that's a good way to describe it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Here's the 17" threaded Montana in .300 WSM....

Factory 180s at 2825fps... ran it from 300 to 750 today... I think it missed once....

I'm standing 8' from the muzzle in the video, with no hearing protection... directly where you would NOT want to be sans-suppressor. Note A: how quiet it is.... and B: the lack of gnarly recoil normally associated with a 7.5lb .300 Mag....

[video:youtube]7LOlruXAcDo[/video]

That's amazing. Good news (for me anyway). Thanks. DS, sent you a PM.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I am puzzled by those that would complain about the added weight. Most systems are removable. If your hunt requires maximum weight saving could you not remove the device in advance and re-zero as needed?

Many people shoot more in practice than in the field and would enjoy the benefits offered by the use of a suppressor.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't read and went straight to the video, sorry.

Dave

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Bump, for the awesomeness.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are you going to put a can on it?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I plan on it, in the future. Hoping legislation passes to bring them down in price. I was looking for a brake to screw on it for range time. Wife needs to send a lot of rounds downrange before next hunting season.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
LGS boys thought Trump would back off the paperwork and extra fee. Feeling is they might create a form similar to the 4473 and just treat is like a firearm purchase. Would necessitate some language changes but anything is possible.
Another LGS said they would push toward just handing up the cans for sale on the shelf - without any paperwork.
Who knows what really will happen if anything.

T
T
As a Kiwi this has been a very interesting thread to read. Huge culture shock, clearly, for Americans in threaded barrels. I Wonder if it has anything to do with the difficulty and cost of purchasing a suppressor?
On the other side of the globe here in Little Old NZ, every man and his dog has a suppressor with some well known world wide brands being made here in Little Old NZ.

Simple as walking in to a hunting Shop, paying a few hundred for a suppressor and throwing it on your rifle here, nothing complicated about it.

Last edited by Timmay556; 11/21/16.
G
G
I haven't read this whole thread so apologize if it's been said before. I personally own 7 cans. And I can honestly say a suppressor has no place on a kimber montana. Your POI shift would be crazy.Not to mention the whole point of the kimber is to be LIGHT. Throwing on an extra 14+ oz you should have just bought the browning X-bolt. I suppress nearly all my firearms, but the Kimber is not one of them. You could throw a light flash hider on there or muzzle brake to protect the crown and I would see use for that. Just my .02.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did experience about a 2-in. shift with Harvester on my .308.

I do need to get a brake for bench and practice sessions, though.

Hoping Hearing Protection Act passes quickly. Want to get several more suppressors...

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by generalzip
I haven't read this whole thread so apologize if it's been said before. I personally own 7 cans. And I can honestly say a suppressor has no place on a kimber montana. Your POI shift would be crazy.Not to mention the whole point of the kimber is to be LIGHT. Throwing on an extra 14+ oz you should have just bought the browning X-bolt. I suppress nearly all my firearms, but the Kimber is not one of them. You could throw a light flash hider on there or muzzle brake to protect the crown and I would see use for that. Just my .02.

So if you suppress an x bolt, what would you get?

A kimber would be one of the lightest suppressed rifles. You are going to add 14oz to whatever rifle you put one on.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bringing up an old thread, my Harvester arrived after a 12 month wait.

The only threaded rifle I have now is an AR but I have Montana 84's, an 8400 and others that come to mind, any recommendation for shops to thread barrels?

Dave

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
734 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 86 invisible), 2,731 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,399,996
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.