Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
SCT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I own two, a 6 year old male, and a 2 year old female. Both are out of cover dog lines. Both are very affectionate, and have been great with my children and others. My male did not settle down in the house until 3 years of age. They are now calm in the house, but still intense hunters. They both shed quite a bit. Like any dog, the specific parents are more important than the breed. I have heard of problems in a couple of dogs. Of course, any dog can bite given the wrong circumstances.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There used to be a show with a setter called "Hunting with Hank" with Des ????? Anyway as Des always said at the end of the show (as Hank laid on the bed) "Never, ever spoil your birdog"
[Linked Image]

Now you know where my net name here came from!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They can be excellent family dogs. Why not adopt one. There are a lot of ones that are turned away by field trialers and such that would make great pets and hunters.

http://www.englishsetterrescue.org/

http://esrescue.org/

I've had 3. As stated earlier, they will range. You will not be able to just open the door and let them run about or you will not see them for days if ever. Mine come out of tomoka/rising sun as well. They will hunt hard and are the most beautiful bird dog to watch work in all the world. The last couple I had had health issues. Lost one at less than 4 with kidney failure. The current one is 8 and has an auto immune disease. All have been great house dogs, but will run for hours nonstop in the fenced yard.

The old girl can hardly move anymore,but still loves to hunt. Here she is finding a dead bird.

https://youtu.be/b57Z5Ip4F1E

14 year old Grace best bird dog I ever had.
[Linked Image]

14 month old Willow and 14 year old Grace doing their thing
[Linked Image]

Lost Willow way too young less than 4.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Puppy Maggie enjoying the fire.
[Linked Image]

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
10 week old Maggie on point
[Linked Image]

Maggie goes everywhere with me except work
[Linked Image]

Hunting hard on a sub zero day.
[Linked Image]

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 2,593 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,503
Posts18,452,528
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.