Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#10775448 12/13/15
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So I went ling fishing for my first time Friday after work. They are technically called burbot ling. They have to be about the strangest looking fish I've ever caught. They look like a cross between an amphibian and a fish. They say they taste really good and have the nick name of "poor man's lobster". I guess I will find out soon. It was a super fun night. The only bummer is I was fighting a cold and it's making me really pay for it today. It was worth it though.
[Linked Image]

A stringer full of fun.
[Linked Image]

Special tailgate photo just for fun. Man they are strange looking fish.
[Linked Image]

Is it Friday yet?
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I want to catch some of those some day.
What was bait?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes strange indeed.

Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We used cut bait, white sucker meat.

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cool beans Troy!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Very Cool! Burbot is good eating.

Semper Fi

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
How does one prep them for the table?
Skin, scale, fillet?
Cooking method(s)?

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Similar to catfish for the knife work.

You can get everything you need off of them without getting into the gut tank. Basically you are after "back straps", some flank meat and a decent amount of tail meat. The back being the thickest portion.

You can cook it many ways, like any other fish I suppose.

For the "poor mans lobster" experience you can get a really good rolling boil of water going and drop the meat in there. Dip the meat in lightly salted melted butter. Texture is firm and almost rubbery when boiled. It's the texture really that is similar to lobster meat, not sure if the flavor is a dead ringer, it's good though.

I have also bread and fried along with walleye fillets and I felt that was good too. I'm sure it can also be baked, I've never tried though.

Best to clean them before they freeze. A popular technique is to jam their head onto a spiked board (or whack a nail through their head) which will kill them and secure them for skinning. A pliers is a nice way to help work the skin off. cut around the base of the neck and peel backwards like a tube sock. cut down the center of the back (slightly off center on each side) down to rib cage, follow that out to the flank, back behind the belly you get a nice cut off each side of the tail as well.

It's a nasty job. The meat is good, the job is nasty.... I almost need to be barley enhanced before taking on the task. It's what I consider an "outside job" so if it's blowing and -15 or colder, it ain't happening. lol!

grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good youtube videos on cleaning burbot. Some guys skin them, then take the back and tail meat off. I took the meat off and then filleted it off the skin. The skin is tough though, so you need a sharp knife.

ND is right about the freezing part too. Like pike, once they freeze and you try to thaw them off you have slime city. One thing that helps that is to pull a couple gill sections out if you plan to keep the fish. My grandfather showed me that and it did make a big difference on pike. Seems like they don't get as slimy while flopping on the ice.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Alot of people will cube them and also boil in 7-up or Mtn Dew as well.

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wild looking fish! They look a little like snakeheads. Looks like you had a blast and got a bunch of meat.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Seal Billy I did have a blast. It was a lot of fun.

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
so, how did they taste? We're waiting. . ;-)

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Taste like frog legs? Cause they look like a frog crossed with a fish. I bet they taste like chicken lol.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
They taste like cod.

Something clever here.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Burbot = eelpout = fresh water ling cod.

I miss burbot. Co-worker and I used to fish them on set lines through the ice when I lived in Fbks. We'd peel the skin, take the meat. Battered, breaded and deep fried. Awesome!

[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yet another reason to visit Montana methinks!

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We have a member here ( can't remember his handle) from the Yukon who catches monstrous ling!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I caught them for the first time ever this last week when I entered a tourney. I was hoping to get one. I ended up being 6oz out of the money! I hauled home 24 pounds of burbot. I suggest the ADF&G video to show the technique, but I suggest adding cloth gloves to the mix as they REALLY help hold these slimy fish.

Tablefare is excellent.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Picked up 19 in 2 days. The bite was on after the sun went down.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 29 invisible), 2,552 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,740
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.