Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Leupold QR levers are on the left side and integral to the base(es), rather than in the rings, so due to the design they can't be reversed in most, if not all, applications.

I'm aware of that, which is why I said earlier in the thread they're "uni-directional." I've had them, and their inability to be mounted with the levers on the port side is just one more reason I won't use them. The levers are somewhat fragile, and if Leupold had been thinking they'd have made them so the levers are port side, not the side where they will get rubbed and potentially moved or broken when slung.

Yes, I agree with you. I broke the levers off a set of Leupold QRs that were mounted on my Husqvarna in 256 Newton. They broke when the rifle slid off the work bench, where I have leaned it, and it fell onto the carpeted floor in my gun room. If the levers had been on the right side of the bases, they would have been protected, at least to some degree, by the bolt handle and windage turret/cap when the rifle slid rather gently onto the floor. But they weren't designed that way and many, maybe most, Leupold QR bases can't be rotated 180-degrees and work without some machine work. The Winchester 70 2-piece QR bases can be, but the design of the Remington 700 2-piece QR bases makes it impractical to rotate.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Brad,

Very occasionally, having the detachment screws on Weaver rings on the right side of the action causes case-ejection problems. It doesn't happen often, since the problem is caused by very specific action and ejector-angle dimensions, but I've seen it several times over the decades.

It definitely doesn't cause problems on Finn's (now Berit's) rifle. As Richard Mann describes in his blog, empty-cases.com, several of us got to shoot that rifle extensively in Texas a few years ago, when Berit brought it to a practical hunting shooting clinic where I was the rangemaster on the charging buffalo target. It was almost as if the rifle was trained by Finn.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
John, I saw that you had shot the rifle on Mann's site... I know in my head his 375 is "just a rifle", but my gut says otherwise.

I'm envious!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Like I said, "ugly is as ugly does"... Finn Aagaard's PH rifle, a pre-64 M70 in 375 H&H, that has seen more actual hunting than all the rifles on this thread combined.

And I notice, like me, Aagaard mounts the ring removal apparatus (knobs/levers... especially levers) on the side that actually makes sense... the port side. All the "pretty" rifles on this thread have the knobs/levers mounted on the "wrong side." Curious that the aesthetic elitists can't manage to figure out the most fundamental of concepts...

[Linked Image]

Brad, for one thing, I shoot left handed. This is the reason my qr's are on the left hand side of the rifle. I don't know why the righties do it too... That sure is a nice pre 64 model 70 transition too. However, just because it's worn doesn't mean it's been hunted more than any of these other rifles. I have one in particular that has been used so much that most of the bluing was worn off:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This was originally a 375 H&H as well, but now it is my 338 win mag and it is much prettier:
[Linked Image]

Sorry to hurt your mangina for posting some pics of some nice rifles.... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like I said, "ugly is as ugly does"... Finn Aagaard's PH rifle, a pre-64 M70 in 375 H&H, that has seen more actual hunting than all the rifles on this thread combined.

And I notice, like me, Aagaard mounts the ring removal apparatus (knobs/levers... especially levers) on the side that actually makes sense... the port side. All the "pretty" rifles on this thread have the knobs/levers mounted on the "wrong side." Curious that the aesthetic elitists can't manage to figure out the most fundamental of concepts...

[Linked Image]

Isn't that the starboard (right) side of the rifle?

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

[Linked Image]

Isn't that the starboard (right) side of the rifle?

It is definitely the starboard side. I think Brad called it the "port side" because the ejection port is on that side... I build ships, so when I say port side, I mean left hand side. Starboard is right hand side. You have probably been around a ship or 2 yourself...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes "port" because it's the ejection port side... we're talking about a rifle's receiver, not a ship.

BSA, difference with your "worn" rifle is you didn't put that wear there yourself. No idea you were a lefty, but that makes sense. Can you please put up more of the same pictures over and over? Thx.

Couple of Finn's 30-06:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A MT of mine... how Levers make the most sense mounted for RH shooters, but to each his own.

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the clarification.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yes "port" because it's the ejection port side... we're talking about a rifle's receiver, not a ship.

BSA, difference with your "worn" rifle is you didn't put that wear there yourself. No idea you were a lefty, but that makes sense. Can you please put up more of the same pictures over and over? Thx.

Couple of Finn's 30-06:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A MT of mine... how Levers make the most sense mounted for RH shooters, but to each his own.

[Linked Image]

That's funny. Thanks for the laugh. It doesn't matter who put the use on a rifle. When it gets used, it gets used... wink. Also something you may not know is a rifle can be used very hard and still be cared for and look good at the end of the day... I guess if you are some dumb azzed indian off the rez, you'll have worn out pieces of chit you don't care for. If that is your forte, carry on. It's your chit, do with it what you want....

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
It doesn't matter who put the use on a rifle. When it gets used, it gets used... wink. Also something you may not know is a rifle can be used very hard and still be cared for and look good at the end of the day... I guess if you are some dumb azzed indian off the rez, you'll have worn out pieces of chit you don't care for. If that is your forte, carry on. It's your chit, do with it what you want....

Honest wear you put there yourself isn't something to be painted, and ceracoted over. It's something that makes a rifle "yours" and is about the only thing that gives a rifle what is commonly referred to as "soul"... that you don't get that is of absolutely no surprise.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Detachable but not quick, loose the levers altogether...

Anything like these Talley Screw Detachables but horizontally split like a Leupy QRW?
[Linked Image]

Maybe like this Weaver Grand Slams? Wonder how the RTZ is? As good or better than the top mounts?
[Linked Image]

Weaver's got these too.
[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I use the Leopold QR's on my Pre 64 M70 in 9.3x62 and so far, when removing and replacing the scope, the zero has been fine when checking sights at my 200 yd zero. Haven't tested it further out.

Now, something I haven't seen here yet is the ADM Recon (American Defense Manuf) ring/mount. https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/browse/category/mounts/opticmounts/scopemounts/

I shoot tactical PRS matches and when on a budget, I try and get my $2000+ optics do serve on multiple rifles. I've run several tests with my heavy 6.5x47, which is a solid .36 to .5 moa shooter. This mount is a bit out of place on the rifles seen above but the question was asked so..... I have my own private range with plates from 450 yds to 2000 yds. I have a 12" plate at 1k. One day, I decided to see what would happen if I removed the scope/ring/mount and replace it. Five hits, remove and replace, then 5 more hits. A few months I decided to really turn up the acid. Remove and replace between each shot. I hit the plate 4/5 shots. The miss occurred when the wind, at my location was zero, but had picked up to about 1-2 mph further out and I missed it. I only noticed it when the impact was off the right edge of the 12" plate and the impact dust continued to slowly blow to the right. IMO, the trick/technique to any QR type ring/mount, and it's very true with this mount, is to place/replace using the same exact technique each and every time. Here is my heavy 6.5x47 with my 2000 yd range running up the ridges.

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

301 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 27 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,740
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.