Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I have just recently taken the plunge into trying my hand at a little bit of upland hunting. I don't exactly have a shotgun suited to upland shooting though. I have an 870 12 and an 1100 12 already. But those are both full choked guns used for predator calling. I'm in Kentucky so quail and grouse with the occasional pheasant are what is on the menu.

I really don't want to spend a whole lot. Especially for the amount of time I'll be pursuing birds. So let's say under 1,000. Not really into pumps but I could be persuaded. So what is out there that you bird guys would reccomend to a guy just starting out?

I have been looking at the franchi 48 20 or the 28.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My personal favorite auto is the Benelli M1. It's light, indestructible, runs great no matter the weather. I like them better than the M2 because I don't like the forearm on the M2. A very good condition M1 can be had for 800 or 900 bucks. The barrels are chrome lined and the action is the easiest on the planet to break down and clean. I'm looking at buying a second so I have a matching pair to travel with.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why not just buy a barrel that accepts choke tubes for one or both of your Remington's? You could buy a couple of choke tube ready barrels for half the amount you mentioned. Then you could use the guns you are familiar with while you get your feet wet in the uplands.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ky221
I have just recently taken the plunge into trying my hand at a little bit of upland hunting. I don't exactly have a shotgun suited to upland shooting though. I have an 870 12 and an 1100 12 already. But those are both full choked guns used for predator calling. I'm in Kentucky so quail and grouse with the occasional pheasant are what is on the menu.

I really don't want to spend a whole lot. Especially for the amount of time I'll be pursuing birds. So let's say under 1,000. Not really into pumps but I could be persuaded. So what is out there that you bird guys would reccomend to a guy just starting out?

I have been looking at the franchi 48 20 or the 28.

Just got my 2nd Franchi 48 20ga. Love it, will never be without another one..

MWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
20 gauge for sure. Semi autos are nice.

Very important that it fits you, not just what visual appeals to you or what other people like. Any chance you can shoot some clay targets with a friends gun to see if it performs well for you?

Yes, the Benelli guns are great machines and designed for many thousands (and thousands!) of rounds. Few people will wear them out.

If you are just going to shoot a couple boxes of shells a season there are many guns that will suit your needs.

But be advised that lots of people are looking for 'good' used 20 gauges.

And yes, the Franchi 20 gauge is nice.

IC B2

K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
That is a thought GC, but dang those 1100s are heavy. Not to mention that a barrel for the 1100 is 250-270 new. That's a quarter of a new gun. We all like having a gun for each little thing we do right? That and the fact that I really want one of the smaller gauges. Lightweight is crucial

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
There is no better upland gun that the Franchi...none.

K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Mwn- isn't that the truth. I have missed out on 2 1100 lightweights in the last 2 weeks.

As for the friend thing. The only guy I know that bird hunts at the present moment shoots a SXS.

MWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, I just sold a Remington 1100 LW 20 gauge right here on 24-Hour. Took about 20 minutes!

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I too like the Franchi 48 but it's a 2 3/4" chambered gun and if nontoxic is implemented across the board a 3"chamber will be a plus especially in 20ga or you will be forced to buy that 3 or 4 dollar a shot heavier than lead nontoxic shot.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B3

35 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
That is a thought GC, but dang those 1100s are heavy. Not to mention that a barrel for the 1100 is 250-270 new. That's a quarter of a new gun. We all like having a gun for each little thing we do right? That and the fact that I really want one of the smaller gauges. Lightweight is crucial

KY

You want a Franchi 48 or a Benelli Montefeltro, M1 or 2 if weight is a factor.
I found my used 20 ga. Montefeltro for 750.
PMed you a link on a camo M1.

Good luck, Dennis

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
20 ga for sure. Benelli Montefeltro or if it might see bad weather and water the M1 or M2. For a little less money the Franchi Affinity is made on the same assembly line as the M2, it just doesn't have the comfortech stock or slug barrels yet. I would get a 3" chamber.

Some seem to like the Stoeger inertia guns but they aren't Italian like the Benelli and Franchi. I haven't yet warmed to Turkish made guns.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If weight is an issue Benelli also makes the ultra light

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Browning BPS 16ga or an Ithaca M37 16ga.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
all very valid points and good responses guys I appreciate all the information. I'm pretty dimwitted in most subjects but when it comes to shotguns I'm just plain dumb...haven't been around them a whole lot so I know next to nothing.

Clark- just based on what I have read I don't think I could warm up to the turkey guns either. They may be great idk, but I just don't want to spend my $ on one.

I'm gonna hit one of the bigger gunshops down here this weekend and see if I can handle some of the above guns mentioned to see what fits best to me and go from there. I'm also talking with a member here about a possible sell. might be able to save a little coin if I can get used wink

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
all very valid points and good responses guys I appreciate all the information. I'm pretty dimwitted in most subjects but when it comes to shotguns I'm just plain dumb...haven't been around them a whole lot so I know next to nothing.

Clark- just based on what I have read I don't think I could warm up to the turkey guns either. They may be great idk, but I just don't want to spend my $ on one.

I'm gonna hit one of the bigger gunshops down here this weekend and see if I can handle some of the above guns mentioned to see what fits best to me and go from there. I'm also talking with a member here about a possible sell. might be able to save a little coin if I can get used wink

I like the inertia semi guns. You can't beat them for simplicity and durability, however Beretta makes some good gas guns too and the Winchester SX3 is a good gas gun. The gas guns will shoot a little softer but I've never had recoil be much of a consideration,which is why I prefer the inertia guns.

One good thing about the Benelli and Franchi guns is that they come with adjustment plates to change drop at heel and cast, so it's easier to fit one than a SXS or O/U.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I prefer O/Us for upland birds and clay shooting (also used one for waterfowl). Look at the Franchi Instinct L to see if it fits you well. Years ago when I was looking for a light O/U for upland hunting that fit me, I bought a Franchi Alcione. It's not designed to shoot high volume of shells at clays but it's been a great hunting shotgun for me. Over the years I've taken a whole bunch of birds with it as it just points where I'm looking. I've never had a problem with it and it's a real favorite of mine. You should be able to find an Instinct L for real close to you what you want to spend.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Smart man right there..

"turkey" guns? (I know you meant "Turkish", just hadda do it, because)...

laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bird season is over and you have almost a year to shoot a bunch of different shotguns to find out what you like. Go to a club and shoot some skeet or sporting clays a dozen times over the summer and you will find out on your own what you like. Many clubs have loaners you can try. Or you could have a bunch of us on the internet tell you what we think you should like.

I recommend an old 870 Wingmaster for a starter for what it is worth.

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
battue, has the right idea.. pick up a used 870, and go from there.. I always handle them til I find one with a stock that fits my style.. Most guns are too low for me.. When I put it to my shoulder, I want to be looking right down the barrel..

One thing with the 870, should you move on to another style it is a great backup gun.. Buying used, you wont loose much $.. I have had all the styles, pumps, autos, singles, side/sides and o/u's.. I like the pump action best..

Molon Labe
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 8 invisible), 1,562 guests, and 717 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,544
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.