Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
I had and used one for a few years effective round but it really doesn't offer much more than a properly loaded 7MM Mag.
Heavier rifle, longer barrel, more recoil and blast.

Just not worth it IMOP.

Lefty C

I never really understood this argument. Unless you build the rifle with a heavier contour, longer barrel, or heavier stock, a rifle in 7mmSTW does not equate to a heavier rig than one built in 7mm Rem Mag / 7mm Weatherby.

I see this tossed around usually by the people that eschew "magnum" cartridges and among the myriad of reasons they claim the rifles are heavier. A sporter chambered in .280 Rem will weigh the same as an identically outfitted sporter in 7mm Rem Mag (identical stock and barrel length/contour). The only difference in the same sporter chambered in 7mmSTW is the magazine doesn't have a block and the follower is full length to allow for the 3.6" COL vs 3.34"

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
I had and used one for a few years effective round but it really doesn't offer much more than a properly loaded 7MM Mag.

Just not worth it IMOP.

Lefty C

I never really understood this argument. Unless you build the rifle with a heavier contour, longer barrel, or heavier stock, a rifle in 7mmSTW does not equate to a heavier rig than one built in 7mm Rem Mag / 7mm Weatherby.

I see this tossed around usually by the people that eschew "magnum" cartridges and among the myriad of reasons they claim the rifles are heavier. A sporter chambered in .280 Rem will weigh the same as an identically outfitted sporter in 7mm Rem Mag (identical stock and barrel length/contour). The only difference in the same sporter chambered in 7mmSTW is the magazine doesn't have a block and the follower is full length to allow for the 3.6" COL vs 3.34"

Yep. My dad has an identical 70 classic stainless 7mm Rem Mag to my STW. Technically, mine is lighter because more of the barrel is cut out for the chamber. If we want to get really gacky about it.

Definitely not heavier though.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Just not worth it IMOP.

Lefty C

Quite often rifle manufacturers use a heavier and longer barrel contour on their magnum rifles. For instance, a Ruger 7mm Rem Mag will use their magnum barrel contour, whereas a 280 will have their sporter contour. The mag contour is 2" longer and something like a half pound heavier.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Quite often rifle manufacturers use a heavier and longer barrel contour on their magnum rifles. For instance, a Ruger 7mm Rem Mag will use their magnum barrel contour, whereas a 280 will have their sporter contour. The mag contour is 2" longer and something like a half pound heavier.

Isn't Ruger's action too short to chamber the STW? The only rifle I am aware that Ruger has chambered the STW for is the Number 1...and that was in a 1B (or 1V), in either case, the 1B uses the same contour for ALL of its chamberings whether .22 Hornet or a .338WM.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It is. I was just using the Ruger as an example of the difference in barrel contours. Winchester and Remington often do the same sort of thing - buy a "standard" chambered rifle such as a 270, 280, or '06, and you are likely to get a different barrel contour than when buying a magnum rifle. This certainly isn't a hard and fast rule, as models differ, but is often the case.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My STW started life as a WalMart variety 7RM black Shadow version. 26 in tube and a tupperware stock.
Had it reamed to STW and bedded it in a Boyd's classic.
I'm limited to 3.590 to get it to feed from the mag.
Launches 160 partitions at 3320 on top of 88 grs of WC872.
Never shot any other bullets through it.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would look at the .28 Nosler. Shorter case length so you can seat the bullets out, plus same or better performance as the RUM with less powder...

Tony.

I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hear a lot of brass worries. A few years back when I had one brass was easily available. I used factory made 7STW and 8mm Mag brass. Always seemed like the 8mm brass shot better, not sure why.

Mine was an impulse buy and when boredom took over and I found I really didn't need it I went back to a 7mm remmy and a 280rem.

I do have a good friend who has made some amazingly long shots with his. He dedicates much time and effort to get to this level, I didn't. I do however spend enough practice time with my .284 bores to feel very confident on any critter within 500 yards, my buddy can pretty much double that.

Just having the gun doesn't make you a long range killer of beasts.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
the simple truth is that we have old calibers, 50 years old or more, that will nicely handle anything we want to shoot. If just hunting is your goal, there's no need at all for the newer calibers.
However, Americans are innovators and there's always a desire for something new. While the 7mm STW won't kill anything any deader than an old caliber, there's nothing wrong with it at all. If you want one, get it and enjoy.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Well I have three 7stw . I have had one before it was a production rifle or ammo. I have never had problems reaching published data . I have exceeded it with ease . Trick is to match bullet with twist and then the right powder and primer . Yes you can load the 7rm to match factory STW velocity but you can far exceed the 7 Rm with hand loads
Just like the 300 wsm can match 300 win mag but the 300 win can be hand loaded hotter. Barrel length does play a big part. With that said two of my stw have 26" barrels but I have a win with a 24" barrel that will launch a 140 gn nosler bt at 3400 fps in a .420 group and no pressure signs.
I own all the calibers mentioned and handload for all of them . Get what you want you will never be happy if you don't .

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Lenz
Get what you want you will never be happy if you don't .

true dat....

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I also thought Ruger used a "standard magnum" contour for the 7mm Rem Mag, as the same as the 300 Win & 338 Win Mags.
But, I have newer versions of their Hawyeye SS rifles in 7mm Rem, 300 Win, and 338 Win; and the 7mm Rem Mag has a significantly slimmer contour than the 300 & 338.
Long ago, I once owned a blued/walnut M77 tang safety and it too had a slimmer contour, but thought at that time it was some type of "special run". At that time, I do not recall seeing another with a "non-standard' Contour. And recall others remarking on the slender barrel of this rifle.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Just not worth it IMOP.

Lefty C

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (257_X_50, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 31 invisible), 2,218 guests, and 1,089 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,485
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.