Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I saw a great image the other day here on the forum with some birds taking off and it captured some of the movement of the wings as well in a few birds. I thought I would share some tips on capturing birds in flight. I teach some classes at some of the larger birding festivals and the birds in flight classes tend to be the ones in most demand.

First decide on your gear. I use the Tamron SP 150-600mm Di VC USD lens on an APS body, either the Nikon D7200 or the Canon 7Dii. I will sometimes handhold the camera utilizing the VC feature of the lens. When I do, I use a strap attached to the lens collar to reduce stress on the lens mount. I prefer to use either a monopod or a tripod with a Gimbal head for steady panning when desired.
Secondly decide on whether you want to shoot for slight movement in the birds or do you want to freeze the action? When I am shooting birds in flight I am preferring to shoot either in manual mode or shutter priority. If I want to get some movement I will shoot at shutter speeds slower than 1/60th of a second, preferably around 1/15th of a second. In shutter priority, the camera will choose the proper aperture to gain the correct exposure. In manual mode, I choose both which is fine in constant light. I am able to utilize a lower ISO as well since I am wanting a slower shutter speed. If I want to stop movement, I utilize the same modes but I will try to get shutter speeds upwards of 1/250th of a second. In order to do that sometimes the ISO will have to be pushed higher. I often select Auto ISO so the camera makes the adjustment as needed.

When you desire the taking off with slight movement, knowing the subject’s behavior can be critical. Birds will often give indications they are preparing to take flight. With Cranes, they will lean into the direction they are taking off. With birds of prey, they often “lighten their load” before they launch.

Hopefully these quick little tips will help some in your attempts to capture birds in flight. Please share some images in the thread. The great rebates continue until February 29, 2016 on the Tamron lenses like $120 on the Tamron SP 150-600mm Di VC USD lens. Time to give Mark or Joel a call up at Camera Land and get one ordered!

The below images were made using the Tamron SP 150-600mm Di VC USD lens on a Nikon D7200

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As always, thanks for the hints. Shutter speed and frozen or motion choices seem pretty easy if Cookie will just hand me a camera. My main issue is simply focus. With the autofocus systems it's a bear to lock in on birds in flight if they're below the horizon with any sort of background. Piece of cake if they're up in a blank sky

In flight, there's really little opportunity to compose shots, so I guess I should just point it up there, bang the shutter repeatedly, and hope 1 out of 100 will come out. Thankfully it doesn't really cost that much with digital, but old habits die hard. .

Have a good one,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

1Minute
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
1Minute, nice captures. I tend to use one of the "zones" on autofocus and if the sky is in the image at all, I will select a zone in the center and as low as possible. That tends to do the trick for me. Thanks. Isn't it great how cheap digital film can be?

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Isn't it great how cheap digital film can be?

Yes. Fortunately, I stocked up before this recent shortage occurred. Probably have a lifetime supply now securely locked in my safe.

1Minute
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I need to stock up soon on some 64GB SD cards. I preordered a Nikon D-500 from Joel last week. With 10 frames per second and not buffering until 79 frames in RAW, 200 in JPEG, I am going to be filling up some cards!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I few years ago while photographing some wild pigs in a swamp with my Panasonic Lumix FZ35, I saw this Jabiru flying overhead coming in the land.

The rest is history.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a technique called luck. Sometimes it all comes together.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Nice capture dingo. high country - If you are relying simply on luck, having seen some of your images, I should send you $2 to pick me up a Powerball ticket...I think skill plays a part too. ;-)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
684 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,701 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.