Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Ky221
Why do you not see much love for the cz550 and the newer 557 push feed? Is there anyone here hunting with either of the two models mentioned above?

My wife hunts with a 550 chambered in 30-06. It is a decent rifle and she likes it. Out of the box, the action sat crooked in the stock and the barrel made contact with the stock. That was corrected by bedding it to sit correctly in the stock.

My main complaint with the rifle is the stock trigger. It had noticeable creep and the 'set' option didn't solve those problems. I changed it to a Timney, but that required some dremel work to get it to clear the trigger guard (Timney said that is required for the American models). I also dislike the built-in 19mm dovetail. It really limits your ring choices. There are no viable canted options out there.

With handloads, it shoots sub-inch at 100 yards.

[Linked Image]

Many, many times I have considered the 550 chambered in 9.3x63, but that damn stock trigger just kills it for me.

Last edited by whitebread; 01/15/16.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 550 Kevlar Carbine in 9.3x62 weighs in at 8.5 pounds with 3X in Alaska Arms QDs......about right weight IMO! The trigger was good but with young shooters hunting with me I opted to install Timney.....I was able to install without Dremel work but it's a bit trickier.

A very reliable and accurate rifle with JB's loads.

K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
A lot of good information here.....I'm not in the market for a new centerfire and if I were I doubt it would be a cz550, but like I stated in my OP, I just wondered why the 527 is such a home run and you just don't hear as much praise for the 550. You guys have more than answered my question.....

K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by magshooter1
I also have a 527 American in .223. Like it so much I've thought about getting another and having it rebored to 6x45.

I have also thought hard about doing this....my 223 shoots so good though I hate to mess with it

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,it's also excellent practice for big game hunting.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ky221
Just a quick question. CZ rimfires have a cult like following among rimfire shooters it seems. Hard not to like the accuracy and old world quality feel in a compact lightweight rimfire. The same goes for CZ527 line of rifles. They have a strong following among the predator and varmint crowd. And again why wouldn't they? Accurate, can be had in lightweight and varmint models, chambered in a wide array of varmint vaporizing chamberings, and again. Old world quality feel. I own/owned a couple cz rimfires and regret selling a couple of them, I also own a CZ527 in 223 that I love for all of the reasons stated above....so I have to ask.

Why do you not see much love for the cz550 and the newer 557 push feed? Is there anyone here hunting with either of the two models mentioned above?

I just bought a CZ 550 Lux in 6.5x55 last month. It was sitting in a used gun rack and I couldn't leave it laugh I haven't had a chance to shoot it, but the stock fits great. I have long arms and a long neck, so classic style stocks are out for me. It has iron sights on it and I may get a peep sight for it instead of putting a scope on top it.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'm late to the 550 party, as the offerings seem to peter out. I really like the rimfires. Haven't gotten into the 527s, as the actions out of the box are just so much slicker on Howas and Tikkas, and the price a lot lower. Also, ARs can be pretty light if you build them right, and ergonomics don't require a woodshop to adjust.

That said, I have shopped the 550 as a sporter for hunting. Bottom line, CZ simply hasn't maintained it as a competitive offering in the market. There are more caliber choices in Hawkeyes. Even for the limited calibers CZ offers, the barrel lengths and twists aren't typically desirable. Just doesn't make sense at a technical level, even before considering price.

It also doesn't make sense from a standpoint of knowing your customer. The 550 comes in Euro calibers, ones that only the looniest of loonies even know what they are without looking them up. In 'murican calibers, they do .243, .308 (with a slow twist for light bullets), .270, .30-06 and 300WM. I think there may be a 7RM in the Euro catalog. It's really not a significantly different approach for the 557. Hang out around here for any length of time, and you'll understand that the buyer for an expensive, beautifully-made rifle with beautiful wood and old school features is likely to be bored with the four most common calibers. They buy the rifle because it's different. They are going to want some other calibers. At the very least, jump on the .260 bandwagon, make a 7-08, and have a .338WM to round out the magnum lineup. Maybe a whizzum or two. Make them with appropriate barrel lengths and twists. People expect sporters to have 22" barrels, not 20". If they are going to buy a .308 or .30-06 with a 20" barrel, it's to help make the dang thing light and handy, so it won't be a 550.

Basically, CZ 550s are unique and different, and excellent in many ways, but they are still the weird kid in the corner who doesn't talk to anybody. The only people who really buy them are, for the most part, loonies who buy them just because they are CZs, or because they appreciate the craftsmanship and wood lottery for its own sake, not because the rifles are a really smart functional choice.

Last edited by OlongJohnson; 01/15/16.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Lots of machining and hand work building one of those.

Old world gun design using real steel and walnut.

Those can never match the price points of the new technology manufactured products.

We're fortunate CZ can still offer them at their current prices.

Their profit margin has to be getting thin on those, so they'll have to find ways to compete or they'll be in big trouble.

DF

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I like mine.

[Linked Image]

Makes my other rifles seem kinda pointless...

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dirtfarmer,

Regarding the 29" barrel on your 22LR, yes, you are losing some velocity in that long barrel. Just a fact, not that it makes any practical difference.

Years ago various tests were done measuring 22LR velocity in a 27" barrel and a 25" barrel as they were shortened an inch at a time with a hacksaw.

Three or four common High Velocity (c. 1200 fps) loads were tested. This was in the days before Stingers and other max velocity loads had entered the market.

Depending on the load, velocity peaked in the 18" to 20" range, and gradually slowed down inch by inch in longer barrels. I don't remember how much they slowed down, but it was readily apparent that they did.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, Nifty,

Good info.

I was sorta surprised how quiet it shoots, esp with sub sonics. I have a suppressed .22 and it's quieter, just not a lot.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by KYFRED
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
My 7x57 weighs 9 lbs with scope and it is pleasant to shoot. Even carried it rabbit hunting last fall and survived.

Hmmm...

Over penetration...?

DF
Not with a 130 gr Speer. Which I killed one rabbit in 13 shots.

laugh

Now, one could conclude, you missed 12 and hit one.

Or, it took 13, 130 gr. Speer bullets to finally anchor one mad, charging bunny... shocked

DF

Reminds me of Benny hill movie and that killer rabbit.....

Elmer Fudd after that wascal wabbit... blush

Now if ole Elmer just had a CZ... laugh

DF

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've got about 8 CZ's. I like them

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
My latest.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice.

People that criticize the CZ for being "heavy" would appreciate some mass and substance with a big boomer round like the .458 WM.

That's a tough, solid gun.

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
As is,it weighs 9 lbs 10 ozs.

Debating whether or not to mount a Leupold 2.5x on it.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have several CZ's, including two 452's in .17 Mach 2 and HMR, a 527 in .17Hornet, and 550's in 9.3x62 and .416 Rigby, and have owned a few others. All shot and functioned well.

I like 550's but generally find their stocks (of whatever style) can stand to lose some bulk. The comments about their single-set triggers kind of puzzle me, because I discovered with my first 550 (the 9.3x62) that if you adjust the primary, unset pull to 3 pounds the set feature is bypassed, and the primary pull can be adjust to a very crisp pull. While the trigger is complex, I've been hunting with both rifles for over a decade, including in several dusty and wet places from Africa to Alaska, and haven't had any problems.

I left the set feature on my 527's alone, because I've found it very handy when shooting small varmints, but did work it over to eliminate a little creep. The pulls on my pair of rimfires were fine right out of the box.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JSTUART
My 7x57 weighs 9 lbs with scope and it is pleasant to shoot. Even carried it rabbit hunting last fall and survived.

Hmmm...

Over penetration...?

DF
Not with a 130 gr Speer. Which I killed one rabbit in 13 shots.

laugh

Now, one could conclude, you missed 12 and hit one.

Or, it took 13, 130 gr. Speer bullets to finally anchor one mad, charging bunny... shocked

DF

The most fun I have is shooting larger centre fires at rabbits whilst afoot...lot of fun and not a lot to pick up.

Great fun in the sandhills.

Seems I remember reading that's how JOC got to be such a great marksman.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I like 550's but generally find their stocks (of whatever style) can stand to lose some bulk. The comments about their single-set triggers kind of puzzle me, because I discovered with my first 550 (the 9.3x62) that if you adjust the primary, unset pull to 3 pounds the set feature is bypassed, and the primary pull can be adjust to a very crisp pull. While the trigger is complex, I've been hunting with both rifles for over a decade, including in several dusty and wet places from Africa to Alaska, and haven't had any problems.

I agree, the stocks could definitely be slimmed down.

But I'm puzzled by the comments about the trigger set feature being bypassed when adjusted to 3lbs. I asked a gunsmith if he could take the trigger down to 2 3/4lbs without affecting the set feature. He said he could, and did so. The main trigger trips at 2.75lbs and the set trigger trips at 8 ounces. Am I simply misunderstanding what you are saying?

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (808outdoors, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,411 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,672
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.