Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The farmer who has allowed me to hunt on their property for years has asked me for help with a coyote problem. I have never called/hunted coyote, except for the few I killed while deer hunting which are targets of opportunity. I will "invest" a little money to assist the farmer in this coyote operation. I plan on purchasing and e caller but want to limit it to 2-300 dollar range? Since I have no experience using mouth calls. Any suggestions? Looking at Foxpro Wildfire II?

Lastly will be setting up? The farmer's field is a rectangle, but they removed almost all the cover except for the "tree row that lines the property. It has one water drainage that runs through the middle of the property. The rest is bare soil for the most part? How do I set up with no cover?

Thanks.

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I use a wildfire II. No complaints Just like every other foxpro product. Great.

The mouth calls are a good idea. They aren't hard to use. YouTube can teach you a lot. I reccomend a good closed reed to start off. But it can freeze up in colder weather. Kerry carvers Swift call gets my vote. As far a production call. I really like CRITR calls. Especially the peewee model.

Nice handle. You chasing pike or Muskies?

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank Ky221,

Primarily Pike with a flyrod but equally go after musky although they are tougher to find and catch in my neck of the woods.

I will check into a few of those calls.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I primarily use mouth calls; but, I use and electronic caller too. I have the FoxPro Hellfire and really like it. Mouth calls are very easy to learn. As for setting up based on the scenario you provided. Don't skyline yourself, camo yourself and be still and you will be fine. Keep the wind either in your face or, as I prefer, some sort of crosswind.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 01/15/16.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Foxpro , you just can't go wrong

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Very cool. I'm anxious to put a couple of dogs down for the farmer! They had a a flock of guineas 30ish gone. Then they lost a cat or 2, so they are upset. They shoot them when they can as well but hoping to help. Seems like a lot of yote this year in the area.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Don't be afraid of a mouth call...

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My biggest concern is the yote would locate me more readily using a mouth call? But I plan on trying it anyhow.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if your crosshairs are on him when he locates ya, what's the concern?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had coyotes locate me, then I drop them. Don't shy away from a hand call, I prefer them over electric callers....use equipment to help hide you, be mindful of the wind at all times......

Good luck

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Even more than camo - being still is important.
Last I called in - I was sitting on a rock, in the pasture, wearing a khaki Carhartt jacket. Got him at a little over 100 yards circling downwind.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Esox357

Lastly will be setting up? The farmer's field is a rectangle, but they removed almost all the cover except for the "tree row that lines the property. It has one water drainage that runs through the middle of the property. The rest is bare soil for the most part? How do I set up with no cover?

Thanks.

How big is this property?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I use a FoxPro, but unless you are going to do a lot of calling, try a hand call.
Wind is an issue, try calling with no or very light wind. Get set up without being seen and play the wind.
They spot movement, so keep it to a minimum and move slow,

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Listen to those guineas and try to imitate them especially when they are riled up. If coyotes are preying on them that will be the dinner bell. Crit'R call is very good both the Standard and the PeeWee. Can't go wrong with a FoxPro. Good luck. Good hunting. Be Careful it's addicting.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lonny

Thanks.

100 acres

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Foxpro has a Guinea distress sound. I would lean towards cat, puppy and farm animal distress sounds first before trying rabbits and woodpeckers. Hand calls are great but tough to do some sounds on.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lonny

Thanks.

100 acres

Use the treeline that borders the property for cover. It doesn't take much cover to break up your outline when your sitting. I often lean against fence posts.

Find the best spot to enter the area without creating a disturbance and a spot that also gives you a wind and even sun advantage. Depending on how adjoining properties look I'd think coyotes will hunt along and use the drainage ditch as a travel route. Set up to where you can funnel one to you. Be set up by shooting light.

Last edited by Lonny; 01/18/16.
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I know deer are running straight across the open field and use that drainage for travel even though it doesn't look like much at the moment.

How long is a typical calling sequence when using a hand call vs and electronic call?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some variables for sure, but I pretty much stay on stand the same length no matter if I'm using a handcall or e-call. Usually around 20 minutes give or take.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 14 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 704 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,667
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.