Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was planning 30 minutes, but didn't know how long of a call sequence I needed? 20 minutes of straight calling or is it like 3 minutes, pause for 1 minute and continue?

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
100 acres is not big at all. Your sounds can reach out to a mile or so, depending on conditions, so you could be covering 2,400+ acres in one stand at full volume.

The wind is absolutely crucial to success on a small property (any property for that matter). I won't hunt a property if the wind isn't right.

Try to leave the open patches dead downwind of your stand. Coyotes generally don't like to expose themselves any more than they have to, plus you can see them easier in the open and get them stopped for a shot. Stop them before they hit your scent cone.

I would hunt the edges of this property, calling to the neighbors land, using very soft calls, rodent squeaks being a good quiet sound. The idea is to call to coyotes maybe 500yds deep in the neighbors land, then move to another stand and repeat. This way you can make several stands on 100 acres.

The coyotes will use the drainage and the tree lines to approach you, hence paying attention to the wind.

Be aware that once you start to call, every coyote that can hear you knows exactly, and I mean exactly, where you are sitting, so pick a good stand location.

Sorry for being long winded.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't typically hunt small patch farms but have on occasion. 100 acres isn't very big, however my uncle has a little 100 acre wood patch surrounded by grain fields and bordered on one side by a hog farm. The first stand I made on that little spot produced a pair of hard chargers that I was lucky enough to roll up with my Benelli. I killed 11 coyotes on that farm the first year I hunted it. The second year I took 9 off that place. Then he let his chit head step son move there and I quit hunting it because the little moron is a smart ass punk and always wants to tag along. Tried that once and after the barrel of his gun swept me for the third time I headed to the truck. I tried to have a polite conversation about safety and after some dipchit replies from the guy I had to leave because of the overwhelming urge to bend the barrel of his shotgun over his thick head. I told my uncle I wouldn't be going back as long as that punk was on the place. He understands. The point being if the layout is right and you hunt it smart you can kill coyotes on a small place.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good info K22.

MOGC, can't blame you for not going back!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by k22hornet
100 acres is not big at all. Your sounds can reach out to a mile or so, depending on conditions, so you could be covering 2,400+ acres in one stand at full volume.

The wind is absolutely crucial to success on a small property (any property for that matter). I won't hunt a property if the wind isn't right.

Try to leave the open patches dead downwind of your stand. Coyotes generally don't like to expose themselves any more than they have to, plus you can see them easier in the open and get them stopped for a shot. Stop them before they hit your scent cone.

I would hunt the edges of this property, calling to the neighbors land, using very soft calls, rodent squeaks being a good quiet sound. The idea is to call to coyotes maybe 500yds deep in the neighbors land, then move to another stand and repeat. This way you can make several stands on 100 acres.

The coyotes will use the drainage and the tree lines to approach you, hence paying attention to the wind.

Be aware that once you start to call, every coyote that can hear you knows exactly, and I mean exactly, where you are sitting, so pick a good stand location.

Sorry for being long winded.

That wasn't long-winded... It was a lot of information packed into a few paragraphs. Well said K22.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Biggest thing is getting in undetected, so sneak into where you are going to call from.

they will circle down wind so sit where you can see downwind as advised.

DO NOT walk across the area you expect them to come through, they will pick up your scent.

In Jan / Feb always be prepared for doubles, they are pairing up for mating so they often come in pairs.

Some dogs come in fast, some come in slow.. Don't call if your not ready with the gun up, and don't leave the stand you make too quickly.

If you hunt with a partner one takes a rifle, the other a shotgun.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Not sure what your coyote density is, but at best you will get 20 to 25 percent of them calling. They get smart quickly. If you want to truly reduce the coyote numbers,learn to hang some neck snares. It generally takes a multi faceted approach to truly reduce numbers.

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If I can talk the farmer into checking a trap line. I would be willing to hang some snares for sure!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a foxpro with a remote control. I put it about 50 yards away, at a right angle to the approach I am expecting. I also have a little decoy that looks like a rabbit and wiggles back and forth. That goes next to the speaker. It gives the critters something to look at when they are coming in. In your case, you could put the speaker and decoy 50 yards down the fence line. A few weeks ago, one of my buddies who uses the same setup had a coyote get a hold of his decoy it came in so fast. After administering a healthy dose of #4 buck, he retrieved his decoy from the would be thief.

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That sounds like a rush! Looking forward to learning/hunting some yotes. Thanks guys for the help.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

398 members (160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 34 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,804
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.