Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I know 300 RUM ammo and brass have been in extremely short supply it seems forever. I have a decent supply, but checked the usual places last night for some more "good" brass (Norma, Nosler) and forget it. It's not happening. Ammo? Everything was sold out.

Interesting was the fact that some ammo or brass was backorderable but not Nosler. Nosler ammo and components were out and not able to be backordered. Do you think the fact that Nosler has been bought out by ATK has anything to do with that?

It appears that it may have been a perfect storm of increased demand and the end of a production cycle? I don't know...it's been such a long time you think the companies would have caught up by now.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have been thinking about barreling either my 300 or 338 RUM to 26 or 28 Nosler

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I think I missed something. Can't find anything about Nosler being bought by another company. I did see that Savage is being purchased by ATK.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I know 300 RUM ammo and brass have been in extremely short supply it seems forever. I have a decent supply, but checked the usual places last night for some more "good" brass (Norma, Nosler) and forget it. It's not happening. Ammo? Everything was sold out.

Interesting was the fact that some ammo or brass was backorderable but not Nosler. Nosler ammo and components were out and not able to be backordered. Do you think the fact that Nosler has been bought out by ATK has anything to do with that?

It appears that it may have been a perfect storm of increased demand and the end of a production cycle? I don't know...it's been such a long time you think the companies would have caught up by now.

Don't know but would think that 300 RUM is not much in demand... not like common stuff...

The internet is hugely to blame.... folks post when and where stuff is instantly and in a hoarding scared situation its not good... catching up.... good luck, that takes more than a year or two really...

I've begged CCI to run a certain ammo, even to the point of asking what would a minimum order be from a dealer to get it going... nope, to busy doing other stuff thats in more demand... I basically offered them the cash through a legal dealer to make a run... that should tell you something...

Keep searching the net, if you need it so bad, buy it when you find it, if not just keep sitting on it... and it'll surface some day...

I often put in large powder orders in groups and can take up to a year to fill them at times... no big deal, I'm almost never in a big rush.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Seems every thing is in short supply these days, not just RUM brass.

One thing I learned during these shortages....stay away from proprietary cartridges with one source of brass.The 7mm Dakota taught me that. If I can't buy it, or make it from commonly available stuff, it isn't worth owning.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Shouldn't have ever been offered anyway IMO!!

Along with a bunch of other junk that's out there!!

Last edited by Sharpsman; 01/15/16.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Seems every thing is in short supply these days, not just RUM brass.

Most esp stuff made by Remington. The invented the SAUM, and haven't made brass for it for about three years now. But for LR shooters, and Norma and Nosler, it would be unobtainable.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Hornady is offering a 300 RUM load in there custom and Precision Hunter lines of ammo. Hornady may be a source of brass soon.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by 28lx

Hornady is offering a 300 RUM load in there custom and Precision Hunter lines of ammo. Hornady may be a source of brass soon.

I've always liked Hornady brass...always been real consistent for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Found a source but a person would have to be pretty desperate to pay this much for Hornady brass.

Hornady brass $56 for 20 rounds

http://www.gunstop.com/products/brass/hornady-300-rum-20-boxed

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jumping on the bandwagon of something new is always risky. Companies bring out new stuff very quickly these days, and dump 'em when they don't pan out just as quick (but a lot quieter). If the abandoned cartridge is based on an oddball case, you can be SOL before you know it. All my CFs are standard rounds and can be fed without any trouble, if not always with the brand of brass I prefer. My Hornet is the only thing that's problematic and Prvi ammo for that is cheap and usually available.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you own the rifle and have no 300 RUM brass them just break down and pay 52 buck for 20 300 RUM cases and buy two boxes, because 40 rounds will last you a while if it is just for hunting.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It would seem to me that if one plans to run something like a RUM, then obtaining components is part of the process of obtaining the rifle itself.

Rifles are relatively easy to source; the components are the larger headache.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the shortage keeps up, the dinks at Remington are going to be scratching their heads in a few years wondering why rifle sales for the 300 dropped off sharply. They need to bite the bullet and produce some components to keep their cartridges alive.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I have read (on the internet, so its the truth folks) that RUM calibers, excepting the 300, are really taking a kicking on the market. I dunno...is Remington trying to kill em off? I wouldn't think so.

I knew I had plenty of brass before I posted my question....just couldn't understand why I kept seeing "Anybody want to sell some 300 RUM brass?" threads for the last couple of years on the Campfire. Now I know.

It seems most gun related companies have switched gears to manufacture what's selling best right now (30/06, 223, 40 S&W, etc, etc) rather than spread their production out to the items with less demand....could be all that it is right now.

Last edited by Godogs57; 01/16/16.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Azshooter
Found a source but a person would have to be pretty desperate to pay this much for Hornady brass.

Hornady brass $56 for 20 rounds

http://www.gunstop.com/products/brass/hornady-300-rum-20-boxed

Might as well just buy a box of loaded ammo for that price.I personally don't think the 300 or the 338 RUM's are dead but your not going to find brass for them as easy as 308 or 223 just the way it is.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 28lx

I've always liked Hornady brass...always been real consistent for me.

I've only bought it so far in 375 H&H and 7mm Rem Mag but my experience mirrors yours.Good stuff!!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Do you think the fact that Nosler has been bought out by ATK has anything to do with that?

Say what??!?!?!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
bellydeep,

Like a lot of people (including some gun writers) you have this backwards: The reason it's hard to find .300 RUM cases is because not many people bought .300 RUM's. Remington could make a pile of brass now, but that wouldn't inspire hunters to rush out and buy .300 RUM rifles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Say What? Remington not making 300 RUM brass so they can sell rifles? How unAmerican to take advantage of our economic system like that!

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

716 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 70 invisible), 3,101 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,583
Posts18,454,227
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.