Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Tanner
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
A military sniper doesn't need to retrieve the enemy he kills.

I wonder how many 600 yard hunting game kills can be found and recovered? What say you guys?

Uhhh... Every one that I've ever been apart of... Of course I don't walk slow or linger either.

Tanner

"Target" bullets too I bet.....stunt shooter....
Same experiences here.

A 7 WSM or 7 SAUM on a Montana action with 3.050 in the box steals the show....

Last edited by joshf303; 01/18/16.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I find myself surrounded by stunt shooters.

C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks all. I am going to just start long range shooting with my .338. I have had that rifle for going on 16 yrs. I have a 3 ring binder with targets and load notes from every round that has went through it. It is my "go to" rifle. I have taken every elk & mule deer I have killed with it. I shot a big buffalo off the Crow Reservation with it. I took it to BC on a moose hunt. When I do go to South Africa it will go. I’m planning a DIY caribou hunt in 2018 for my 50th and that rifle will be in tow.

I got the rifle NIB a 700 S/S BDL. I bought a Brown Precision stock off the web and took it to David Tooley to bed, float, trigger adjustment and re-crown. In 2002 Rick Bin painted the stock for me and that has held up during the “tender, loving care” I have given it during those hunting seasons. wink There is a chip on the fore-arm from the sling breaking and it hitting a rock during an Aoudad hunt in West Texas a few years ago. Last year after hearing all about 22” bbl. 338’s I had the barrel cut down to 22.75” and re-crowned .The past 3 years I have loaded it down with 180 BT's at about 2750 fps and killed several deer and hogs with it. The shortened barrel length has been nice deer & hog hunting.

Here is a pic. It weighs a little less as in this pic; this was made before I cut 1.25” off the barrel.

[Linked Image]

I'll update my glass and see what some new powders that are on the market will do and go shooting out to 500-600 yds. Then I will re-access. My plan all along with this rifle was that when I got to the point the recoil was an issue I would re-barrel to 7mm Rem Mag but recoil still has never been an issue even in T-shirts shooting off the bench in the Carolina summer’s so we will see.

PASS IT ON!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 30338
I find myself surrounded by stunt shooters.

Do you shoot back?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No need, target bullets bounce off.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by C_ROY
Thanks all. I am going to just start long range shooting with my .338. I have had that rifle for going on 16 yrs. I have a 3 ring binder with targets and load notes from every round that has went through it. It is my "go to" rifle. I have taken every elk & mule deer I have killed with it. I shot a big buffalo off the Crow Reservation with it. I took it to BC on a moose hunt. When I do go to South Africa it will go. I’m planning a DIY caribou hunt in 2018 for my 50th and that rifle will be in tow.

I got the rifle NIB a 700 S/S BDL. I bought a Brown Precision stock off the web and took it to David Tooley to bed, float, trigger adjustment and re-crown. In 2002 Rick Bin painted the stock for me and that has held up during the “tender, loving care” I have given it during those hunting seasons. wink There is a chip on the fore-arm from the sling breaking and it hitting a rock during an Aoudad hunt in West Texas a few years ago. Last year after hearing all about 22” bbl. 338’s I had the barrel cut down to 22.75” and re-crowned .The past 3 years I have loaded it down with 180 BT's at about 2750 fps and killed several deer and hogs with it. The shortened barrel length has been nice deer & hog hunting.

Here is a pic. It weighs a little less as in this pic; this was made before I cut 1.25” off the barrel.

[Linked Image]

I'll update my glass and see what some new powders that are on the market will do and go shooting out to 500-600 yds. Then I will re-access. My plan all along with this rifle was that when I got to the point the recoil was an issue I would re-barrel to 7mm Rem Mag but recoil still has never been an issue even in T-shirts shooting off the bench in the Carolina summer’s so we will see.

And you had the answer all along....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
IF it's accurate, and IF you can shoot it well from field positions, that .338 will do fine out to those (moderate) ranges. That's true of mine at least with the 225 NAB. Worth considering skipping dialing and going "windshield" (reticle), again IF that's really your max. Again, that's how I was running mine when I was shooting to those distances a lot with it.

But the rock star of your group there will be the 7 SAUM assuming good accuracy. I have a couple rifles in the ballistic twin 7 WSM and if the goal is to flop down and hit something a ways away, they are pretty damn sweet and don't beat you up. Can't speak to elk at those ranges but the "mid 7" will clobber deer with authority out that far. I took the advice on here to try the 162 and it's good advice, but one nice thing about the 7-bore is that there's a bunch of legit LR bullets to try.

Plenty of 7 WSM brass to be had on gunbroker..... presume same to be true of SAUM. Just bend over, grab your ankles, and viola! It shows up via the UPS guy a few days later. smile

OP, if you want to try some 162's PM me and I'll send you some. They are not always available.... I've got lots.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Big Stick
This schit is always funny and it's never not difficult to cypher who shoots and who don't.

REALLY enjoyed the 175gr Federal PowerShock 7mmRemmie Mag "endorsement". Laughing!

That POS has a .429BC and a 2860fps launch. A 22" 7-08 with a 162 zero'd same at 2700fps,drifts a halfa foot less at the 500yd line,arrives 134fps faster and of course makes more "energy".

If only for fhuqking starters.

Hint.

The ShamWow stoked with same,will of course kick the schit out of it even more and yet retaining a S/A.

'Nother hint.

Hint....................................

Yup, Mahwhinney and Mule Deer being dissed by Big Stick/Boxer

Easy to tell who's full of schit and who isn't.........another copy and paste attack by Craig's village idiot!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'd say it isn't necessarily an either-or deal. "The sniper" no doubt killed those elk at range with the 7 mm Mag factory load mentioned by Mule deer, but as Stick implied, might have done as well with the mentioned bullet in the 7-08. It's not the head stamp.

Try to keep positive.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I'd say it isn't necessarily an either-or deal. "The sniper" no doubt killed those elk at range with the 7 mm Mag factory load mentioned by Mule deer, but as Stick implied, might have done as well with the mentioned bullet in the 7-08. It's not the head stamp.

Try to keep positive.

There are lots of options, BS/Boxer is on a schizo rant, a narrow one at that. Everything is schit except for what he has or has read about, only he shoots more than anyone, oh ya , a 6x45 at 2000 yards...........I guess he doesn't have enough 'camera' for that one to post up a picture or video of that.

I am positive but the smell of schit is mighty powerful.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Positively, a 'Stick chasing heel-hound.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's hard to take a guy seriously when he's always bragging about weighing his powder charges to the nearest .01 grain.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It ain't the arrow it's the Indian.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It's 0.02 grains

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by C_ROY

[Linked Image]

Load some 225 gr Accubombs in that .338 then you will have your 600 yard elk rifle.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Good to know that reporting on what somebody else uses is an "endorsement." Never realized that before!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Epic thread.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Axtell
It's 0.02 grains

Huge difference.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Axtell
It's 0.02 grains

Huge difference.

ya, 100% smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hard to argue with success, whatever one uses....

Folks sometimes underestimate the deadliness of a given projectile due to BC, FPS, etc. Many variables. Shot placement often trumps all.

One can often debate what is best or better, but that does not make another option ineffective.

It's easy to get caught up in Ballistic Minutia; Yes, it matters, but sometimes more to those doing the numbers, than the animals whose vitals get punched.

Like looking at a medical treatment....outcomes is where the rubber meets the road. How one gets there can be debated: Bullet choice, residual speed, energy, drop, drift, but when you punch vitals, does the game die swiftly, or not? Field results i.e. - "post shot outcomes" - trump ballistics.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

60 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, 7 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,202
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.